Calculator for turning scores from one round into a predicted score for another?

Insanity-Rocks

Just wondering if it were possible to take a score shot on one outdoor round and use it to predict the score you would shoot on a different round? It would have to take into account the different distances, target size and scoring (5-zone vs. 10-zone).

Handicaps confuse me, can they be used to do this?

I did think to use the classifications, if I were to shoot a 280 Hereford(Bowman score) I'd probably get around a 364 Ladies FITA (also bowman score). But if I were to shoot a shorter round and get above what classification is possible for that round classifications wouldn't be much help...

For example, I shot a 328 Albion on the weekend, I'm trying to work out what sort of score I'm likely to get on a Ladies fita. (obviously the best way to work it out would be to shoot an actual fita, but I have nowhere to do this and would prefer to know what score I'm likely to get before entering any competitions)

AJ16S

You can get pretty close looking up the handicap for the score for the Albion and then looking up the score for that handicap for the fita (or 1440 as they seem to have decided to call it now).

--
R.

Insanity-Rocks

How would I do that? I've found a calculator for finding my handicap for the Albion (62 apparently), how do I find out what score that handicap would be on a fita?

You can get pretty close looking up the handicap for the score for the Albion and then looking up the score for that handicap for the fita (or 1440 as they seem to have decided to call it now).

--
R.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
check to see what score on the fita has a handicap of 62... that'll be about the score you'd of gotten...

AJ16S

How would I do that? I've found a calculator for finding my handicap for the Albion (62 apparently), how do I find out what score that handicap would be on a fita?
The easiest way is to get hold of a copy of the handicap tables and look up the handicap there. The less easy way is to go back to the calculator and plug in scores until you find the score that gives you a handicap of 62 (which for a ladies fits is 448).

The way I did it was to use a spreadsheet I built when the formulas behind the handicap tables were published last year.

--
R.

Mark31121

Ironman
As above if you have a look on archers mate etc - Assuming it's senior ladies longbow then a 328 Albion is a bowman score with a handicap of 62 ( actually 7 points over). So the same handicap for a ladies FITA/1440 would be 448, which is just in the Master Bowman class. Seeing as you were slightly over with the Albion then somwhere around 455 would be a reasonable expectation.

However this does depend on how well you do at different distances etc, but it's a good starting point.

Insanity-Rocks

check to see what score on the fita has a handicap of 62... that'll be about the score you'd of gotten...
If I had a copy of the tables that'd be fine, but can't find them anywhere....

The easiest way is to get hold of a copy of the handicap tables and look up the handicap there. The less easy way is to go back to the calculator and plug in scores until you find the score that gives you a handicap of 62 (which for a ladies fits is 448).

The way I did it was to use a spreadsheet I built when the formulas behind the handicap tables were published last year.

--
R.
Thanks for that, any chance I could be sent that spreadsheet? Or pointed in the direction of the formulas so I can make one myself?

AJ16S

As above if you have a look on archers mate etc - Assuming it's senior ladies longbow then a 328 Albion is a bowman score with a handicap of 62 ( actually 7 points over). So the same handicap for a ladies FITA/1440 would be 448, which is just in the Master Bowman class. Seeing as you were slightly over with the Albion then somwhere around 455 would be a reasonable expectation.

However this does depend on how well you do at different distances etc, but it's a good starting point.
The advantage of using the formulas directly is that you can get more 'accuracy' (the handicap calc is just a model after all): the handicap for the Albion is actually 61.7 for a score of 328, which gives a ladies fita score of 457. If you're consistent enough then the 10 points difference is probably meaningful.

--
R.

AJ16S

Thanks for that, any chance I could be sent that spreadsheet? Or pointed in the direction of the formulas so I can make one myself?
The tables you still have to buy. The formulas were in a doc in the downloads section I think - I must have a copy somewhere. My spreadsheet isn't really user friendly so would take a bit of work before I'd be happy to go public with it.

--
R.

Whitehart

Speak to your clubs Record Officer they have all the tables - what you are trying to do is very simple and your RO can show you/answer your question in a few seconds with the tables in front of you.

Or you could buy a full set of the rules and hadicap tables from GNAS afterall if you are competing you should have a good idea of the rules

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
actually now that the tables have been 'released into the wild' by the copyright holder ... isnt it permissable to photocopy them for wider distribution?

Dr. B

You could always get the Archery ScorePad app, which has a handicap calculator built in and use that to see what scores will give you your handicap for a particular round.

GoneBad

A word of caution!! Many of us have discovered through bitter experience that deciding what score you should be getting for a particular round and then trying to achieve it is the fastest way I know of failing to get anywhere near.
"Wow! I can afford to drop 4 points on this last end and still get my MB score" = first arrow goes straight in the blue :bang:
The best way to discover what score you would get for a particular round is to shoot that round. The answer is then given in the little box at the bottom of the page ;)

fbirder

actually now that the tables have been 'released into the wild' by the copyright holder ... isnt it permissable to photocopy them for wider distribution?
That's what I thought. Then I thought again - isn't it just the algorithm used for the calculations that has had the restrictions lifted? I reckon that AGB still hold the copyright to the printed tables.

AJ16S

A word of caution!! Many of us have discovered through bitter experience that deciding what score you should be getting for a particular round and then trying to achieve it is the fastest way I know of failing to get anywhere near.
"Wow! I can afford to drop 4 points on this last end and still get my MB score" = first arrow goes straight in the blue :bang:
The best way to discover what score you would get for a particular round is to shoot that round. The answer is then given in the little box at the bottom of the page ;)
Can't speak for the OP, but that's not what I use my spreadsheet for. I shoot a variety of rounds and wanted an easy way of comparing my performance shooting, say, a New Western versus six dozen practice arrows at 30m on a 60cm face in the garden.

I do find it useful to have an idea up front of what sort of score I 'should' be getting when shooting an unfamiliar round - at my club we only shoot an Albion, American and St Nick once a year, for example - but you're absolutely right that letting thoughts like "As long I get 7s or better..." into your head is a recipe for failure. At least it is for me.

--
R.

Insanity-Rocks

The problem is I'm the clubs unofficial records officer, we're a field club so don't have anyone to sort out handicaps as only a handful shoot target. I usually turn up to shoots and do what I'm told :p

Speak to your clubs Record Officer they have all the tables - what you are trying to do is very simple and your RO can show you/answer your question in a few seconds with the tables in front of you.

Or you could buy a full set of the rules and hadicap tables from GNAS afterall if you are competing you should have a good idea of the rules

As AJ16S said it's not for seeing what I will get, just seeing what I SHOULD get if I were to shoot at the same standards. Because I shoot many bowstyles it's nice to enter the bigger competitions with a bowstyle I've got most chance of doing well in.

TJT

You could use the archery scorepad website - try Archery Score Pad - Ratings Tables

It suggests that a 319 Albion = 433 FITA ladies and 332 Albion = 449 FITA ladies so your 328 would put you about 444 by my estimation

Bear in mind that this is a pretty rough guide though :)

TJT

Just looked at the classification tables - I assume you are Ladies Longbow - so 448 for MB approx equal to 332 Albion score.

Best of Luck!