Can anybody help unconfuse me :- indoor clasification / handicap

bolerus

ok, up until now, I am happily shooting indoor rounds, aiming to get a 400 average, and trying to get close to my own PB

we have a competition coming up on 4th feb ( this will be my first) so suddenly classification and handicap has become inportant.

so my history is

first indoor shoot i got 221 ( turned out my limbs were not aligned)
(i really bought my own bow too soon, but its ok)
followed by
and finally last week - 472 ( their were 3 of us that started at the same time last september, and currently i have the highest pb of the 3 but still a long way behind the rest of the clubs standard )

now I am told that I am class F, but last score may put me into class E

so. what exactly does that mean practically

what do these classes add to my actual shot score in the competition and what kind of score would i need to get near to have a chance of getting somewhere near the best of class.

At the end of the day I will be aiming to beat my PB to do the best I can, but trying to understand what all this means boggles my brain, and I know some of you guys (and ladies) on here are great at putting things into terms my addled brain can interpret.

chuffalump

I'm pretty sure that your handicap only makes a difference at specific shoots. The two comps Ive done paid no attention to my classification OR handicap. However, the classification does give you something to aim for. I'd like to swap my E class for a D class. I think Im good enough but I need three recorded scores at D level before I can officially claim it.

There is a website. Archers Mate.....I think. You can put in your round and score to get an indication of class and handicap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

bolerus

I'm pretty sure that your handicap only makes a difference at specific shoots. The two comps Ive done paid no attention to my classification OR handicap. However, the classification does give you something to aim for. I'd like to swap my E class for a D class. I think Im good enough but I need three recorded scores at D level before I can officially claim it.

There is a website. Archers Mate.....I think. You can put in your round and score to get an indication of class and handicap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Do'h unless i click on the indoor tab /blush

the calcultor doesent have portsmouth on, could a portsmouth round be known as something else?

Last edited:

Aleatorian

In honesty, don't get too hung up on Indoor Classification (granted I wouldn't mind to trade my C to a B) as most only care about the Outdoor ones (3rd - GMB). Using the indoor season to do tweaks to form, get used to new gear, etc.

Handicaps (Indoor or Outdoor) are only really useful if you shoot in a handicap shoot, which allows all bow styles and genders to compete against each other.

bolerus

In honesty, don't get too hung up on Indoor Classification (granted I wouldn't mind to trade my C to a B) as most only care about the Outdoor ones (3rd - GMB). Using the indoor season to do tweaks to form, get used to new gear, etc.

Handicaps (Indoor or Outdoor) are only really useful if you shoot in a handicap shoot, which allows all bow styles and genders to compete against each other.

I have a feeling that this one might be, simply because the .. head honcho .. at the club mentioned that us beginners should go to it because we could get a medal for best in classification. And She has made a bit of a deal about getting scores in for the classifications.

I would guess I will know more of the ins and outs after the comp, should be an experience, if nothing else

Greenseeker

What sort of bow are you using? I shoot recurve barebow and the first two scores I recorded were 345 and 368. I'm hoping for better tonight but I tend to lose focus half way through a Portsmouth and my mediocre form suffers even more.

bolerus

What sort of bow are you using? I shoot recurve barebow and the first two scores I recorded were 345 and 368. I'm hoping for better tonight but I tend to lose focus half way through a Portsmouth and my mediocre form suffers even more.
At the club I shoot a recurve, originally I was going to shoot barebow, but got talked / decided out of it, on the principle that by not using a sight or a stabaliser, I was giving the other people an advantage.

As I started the beginner course with two other chaps that have joined and they were both better than me ( at the beginning) I decided I didnt need to give them any advantage ( we have loads of friendly banter between us, especially as I got my 450 badge on a day we had already arranged to go out for a drink )

At home I do shoot a bit of bare bow, but using a PVC pipe bow that I made, and arrows that I fletched myself - so not the most accurate.

Mark31121

Ironman
ok, up until now, I am happily shooting indoor rounds, aiming to get a 400 average, and trying to get close to my own PB

we have a competition coming up on 4th feb ( this will be my first) so suddenly classification and handicap has become inportant.

so my history is

first indoor shoot i got 221 ( turned out my limbs were not aligned)
(i really bought my own bow too soon, but its ok)
followed by
and finally last week - 472 ( their were 3 of us that started at the same time last september, and currently i have the highest pb of the 3 but still a long way behind the rest of the clubs standard )

now I am told that I am class F, but last score may put me into class E
You already had three scores over 432 which puts you firmly into class E - assuming that they were valid shoots (on a club target day, only two sighters etc). They can be quite useful for competitions as a lot have classification medals so you get to compete against others with a similar skill level as well as in the main competition - but to be honest just go to the competitions to shoot, learn and have fun and don't worry about trophies and medals...

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
- but to be honest just go to the competitions to shoot, learn and have fun and don't worry about trophies and medals...
And don't forget the raffle... usually a better chance of winning something...

Mick

PFC1968

You will need 3 class E scores to become a class E, which you have done. Assuming it's not a handicap adjusted competition that you are shooting, you will be against everyone else of all classifications for made score, and also you will be against all other Class E archers for the class E medal (assuming the competition gives classification medals). So there is effectively 2 competitions that you will be shooting in.

Last edited:

bolerus

You will need 3 class E scores to become a class E, which you have done. Assuming it's not a handicap adjusted competition that you are shooting, you will be against everyone else of all classifications for made score, and also you will be against all other Class E archers for the class E medal (assuming the competition gives classification medals). So there is effectively 2 competitions that you will be shooting in.

ok thanks, 2 competitions in one, that makes sense.

but. isnt class E 435

so with
and finally last week - 472

doesent that make 3(well 4 really) over 435 so class E, or does it have to be 3 in a row? and does the 414 in the middle drop it back down on its own?

Edit
lol i was responding to your pre-edited version. :)

PFC1968

Sorry, I didn't check the score for E class before I posted the original message lol. I believe it's 432 for E class, your next step is D class which is 505. You don't have to shoot the consecutively, as long as you have shot 3 E class scores you're ok (although you are not supposed to submit more than 1 round per day, which should be the 1st round you shoot, any rounds you shoot on the same day after that should not be counted as far as I know, i'm sure a records officer will be able to advise on that one )

bolerus

Sorry, I didn't check the score for E class before I posted the original message lol. I believe it's 432 for E class, your next step is D class which is 505. You don't have to shoot the consecutively, as long as you have shot 3 E class scores you're ok (although you are not supposed to submit more than 1 round per day, which should be the 1st round you shoot, any rounds you shoot on the same day after that should not be counted as far as I know, i'm sure a records officer will be able to advise on that one )
more than one round a day, wow i envy anybody with that kind of stamina, or perhaps I look forward to building that kind of stamina.

I am absolutely creamed after 1 night of shooting ( we carry on a bit after the scoring round, probably shoot about 80 - 90 arrows altogether)

thanks for the clarification...

is it the same for dropping down classes, 3 'bad' scores ?

PFC1968

You'll get used to it once you've been shooting a while. No, once you have the classification you keep it (see note below), bad scores don't affect it, the same with your handicap, that won't get worse either. Here's an extract from a website which might clarify that :- The highest classification obtained shall be kept by the archer for the remainder of the current season, and will be the classification they hold for the following season.

Ahoyhoy

more than one round a day, wow i envy anybody with that kind of stamina, or perhaps I look forward to building that kind of stamina.

I am absolutely creamed after 1 night of shooting ( we carry on a bit after the scoring round, probably shoot about 80 - 90 arrows altogether)

thanks for the clarification...

is it the same for dropping down classes, 3 'bad' scores ?

You'll keep your highest classification for the season, even if you end up shooting terribly.
If you get 3 scores in a higher classification you'll go up to the next one, and next season it resets.

If your club is dividing the shooters into classifications, then you'll be going against whoever is in the same grouping as you, based on their 3 best scores of the season.

Our club has a 'handicap championship' toward the end of each season, which is a fairer way of seeing who shot the best on the day amongst mixed abilities archers.
I'm not entirely sure how it works, but you end up shooting against yourself, and based on numbers thrown together from your best previous scores, you end up with a personal handicap, and the ones who best this score by basically shooting better than they usually do, end up winning.
It's confusing but as long as someone in the club understands, it all works out fine!:dizzy:

Dansig

here in Iceland we have 3 classes, healthy people, disabled standing and disabled sitting (wheelchair)

the healthy people class is for everyone that does not have official disability card, and we do split that into recurve, compound and longbow and even women and men division if there are enough competitor..

but to split the men according to their score and even give them handicap is not something any competitor wants.. if I am competing I want to know where I rank amongst everyone not just amongst some with similar score..

if I lost against Reo Wilde I'd be fine, but to be put in a lesser class would make me mad, he is a better archer but the only way for me to get better is to compete against the best, competition is a place to learn, if you don't stand next to the best you will never learn what they are doing that makes them the best...

Tuck

Dansig
There is an overall shoot split into Compound, Recurve, Barebow, Longbow
Then gents, Ladies, Juniors, maybe Veterans
IF there are enough archers to make it worthwhile then medals may be awarded by shooting classification in addition.
You still get to lose to Reo Wilde ;-))

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

Dansig

there is an international competition tomorrow in Reykjavik Iceland, RIG I am competing and so are 18 other archers, the oldest close to 70 years old and the youngest about 20, to bad there aren't more foreign archers, but this competition is every year so hopefully there will be more next year.

no qualification required for foreigners, Icelanders need to get a minimum of 520 in compound men to compete.

all men with compound bow compete in the same class, no matter age or skill..

Tuck

there is an international competition tomorrow in Reykjavik Iceland, RIG I am competing and so are 18 other archers, the oldest close to 70 years old and the youngest about 20, to bad there aren't more foreign archers, but this competition is every year so hopefully there will be more next year.

no qualification required for foreigners, Icelanders need to get a minimum of 520 in compound men to compete.

all men with compound bow compete in the same class, no matter age or skill..
The're all here in Telford Dansig ;-)

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.