can you use modkins at competitions?

LongbowJake95

I'm considering using modkin points on my arrows for next indoor season. I already know I can use them for general shooting at my club and the descriptions all say they're target friendly but I don't know if they're competition legal. I've read through the AGB rules of shooting a couple of times and they're a little ambiguous on the subject. I doubt they would be a problem in my normal university league or at BUCS but my club are hosting a record status shoot next season that may be more strict.

Last edited:

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I use the bearpaw modkins for both indoor and out. Been to competitions with both and no one has said anything apart from 'they look cool/scary'.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Depends on your bow really, I use 125gr on 11/32 shafts for indoors and 100gr on 11/32 shafts outdoors.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
63@24" and 54@24" Though I used to use 125gr points for my 40lb bow and they shot alright as long as you match up the spine of your arrows you should be fine.

LongbowJake95

63@24" and 54@24" Though I used to use 125gr points for my 40lb bow and they shot alright as long as you match up the spine of your arrows you should be fine.
I've ended up getting 100gr for 5/16 shafts. Haven't been able to test them yet though as being the moron that I am I forgot to order a taper tool when I got all my arrow stuff. I was going to go for 11/32 shafts but everyone that does matched shafts was out of stock for my spine.

WillS

You don't need a taper tool. Any sharp knife will do it, takes 10 seconds per head. Just like sharpening a pencil with a knife. Once you're nearly there you heat up the head on the gas ring, and push it on to get a perfect fit.

Or of course you could buy a plastic taper tool that's branded as "Archery Supplies" so they can wring out a few more quid from you ;)

LongbowJake95

You don't need a taper tool. Any sharp knife will do it, takes 10 seconds per head. Just like sharpening a pencil with a knife. Once you're nearly there you heat up the head on the gas ring, and push it on to get a perfect fit.

Or of course you could buy a plastic taper tool that's branded as "Archery Supplies" so they can wring out a few more quid from you ;)
I already have my taper tool now. Probably for the best though since I'm terrible at sharpening pencils with knives :/