Crossbow friendly clubs.

Craftsman

I just had a thought, instead of moaning about clubs I have contacted rejecting me, I will ask;-

Are there any Crossbow friendly,Target Archery clubs, in the Tri-county, North Notts, Nth.Derbys. Sth. Yorks. area?

DavidH

Strange that clubs reject crossbow but allow compounds, doesn't really make any sense. Crossbows are included in the GNAS rules of shooting, apart from pistol crossbows. I've often thought of getting a medieval style crossbow.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I've often thought of getting a medieval style crossbow.
To get one complying with GNAS rules you're looking at ?400+ from what I can find. Personally I don't see the problem with them. Only issue my club has is that there is no extra training for them. Doing a basic beginner course for archery is all you need, but I'm sure there are a few points that need to be told.

efbe

To get one complying with GNAS rules you're looking at ?400+ from what I can find. Personally I don't see the problem with them. Only issue my club has is that there is no extra training for them. Doing a basic beginner course for archery is all you need, but I'm sure there are a few points that need to be told.
I shot one on my beginners course.

It's west yorks; so too far, but White Rose Archers allow the use of some crossbows, if I remember correctly it was homemade ones?!?
White Rose Archers home
http://wra-club.wikispaces.com/

DavidH

I have one of those small pistol ones which I can appreciate are lethal. I've only ever tried it in the garden.I also understand the reason for a safety lock, you cant carry any other form of bow fully loaded and ready to shoot. But the fact is that all bows are lethal in the wrong hands. In my days as a field captain, I had a junior aim a bow straight at me on the line while others were still collecting arrows. Obviously she just wasn't thinking, or maybe she just didn't like me;)

Craftsman

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mine is home assembled from parts and will comply with all GNAS and NCF 'Tournament' class, even though I have to enter as 'sporting'!

EFBE,

I think you may be referring to the Medieval form of crossbow as home made and some of those can be incredibly powerful but obviously can be built to comply with any ruling.

The main problem I have is that the NCF appears to operate mainly in the Derby-to-Bristol, West Midlands area, which unfortunately involves a lot of travel which I find quite tiring as I get older.