Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowded Shooting Line, any solutions?

In the White
    Thanks

Crowded Shooting Line, any solutions?

Ok, had a bit of a rubbish evening last night on one of our first nights shooting outside. I'm relatively new to the sport, just a year in and still struggling with the etiquette of it all. We had 4 targets put out, 40, 60, 80 and 100yards.

The experts were shooting 80, 100 and getting themselves ready for up and coming competitions and the rest were on the lower distances. I'm on 60 at the moment and plugging away trying to get my 252. Just bought a scope which really helped last week see where arrows are falling. I set up the scope and there were 3 of us on the target no problem.

Next end, two more people choose to shoot at 60 which I quickly realised was going to be too many for me and my scope to fit it. I removed it and packed it away.

It's worth pointing out that I absolutely hate getting in the way of others, I'm always the last to join the line and let others get there first. I suppose i'm looking at the pecking order, those that have been doing it for years have priority, seems like the best way to not ruffle any feathers.

So one of the experts asked me why I removed my scope, I said there wasn't enough room and I was fine.

Next end there are 5 of us on the same target and i'm at the end facing a long bow, this was awkward as the tip of their bow kept hovering a foot away from my face, I moved back and that left me at a really bad angle to shoot and starting to get in the way of the 40 target shooters.

Anyway, to cut a long story shot, next end I moved to 40, there was just not enough room for 5 people on the 60.

Next thing I know, one of the experts has had a word about the fact that i've had to move targets with the other archers and asked them to bunch up some more.

This was really embarrassing even though they were being really kind and looking out for me and then rest of the line.

There was some general grumbling and I finished my last end at 40. I left feeling very embarrassed because I was just trying to get out of the way really and let the others shoot.

My question is this, do others have problems with crowded shooting lines, is it ok to ask people to move up tighter, not stick their bow in your face etc? I don't want to annoy anyone, but seem to have done it by letting others go first. Also what is the maximum number of people on a target that is comfortable to shoot?

Yes I know I should get to the line first and claim my spot but I'm really not that kind of person.

Any target etiquette advice would be welcomed, still new at this game and just want to fit in.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    It is tricky, yes. When (if) you compete you'll get 80cm for you, your scope and kit. And you'll need to get on and off the line very promptly. So If the longbow is in your face, tell them. It's their problem, not yours. Don't be embarrassed. If one of the experienced archers has noticed, it's because they think you are in the right, not because you are being a primadona. So have a little confidence. Why not ask for an extra target at your distance next time, if it looks like there will be a lot of you shooting? You all pay the same money to join the club/nightly fees.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

In the White
    Thanks
    All makes sense, just really difficult sometimes to be brave! Thanks, good advice!

Thanks
    Ettiquette...
    You may get a range of answers on this, but here's my take.
    If you've got more than 4 people shooting at a target, you really need another target out or a second line. Getting another target may be left to the people who turn up last, depending on your club customs. People may try to squeeze 5 or 6 archers onto a target, but really they should only do that with two lines, unless there is a ton of space and some don't mind shooting off at a bit of an angle.

Regardless of that:
    A scope should not interfere with other people shooting, so that's probably a good call. But in the same vein the behaviour of an archer must not interfere with someone else shooting. If they have a habit which causes interference (swinging the bow sideways in a confined space for example) they should be asked, politely, to stop.

Grumbling: people will grumble, no matter what you do. Some more than others. Sometimes it's not really grumbling (shouldn't be from most archers - they know the score), it's just banter. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference...

<edit> just an after thought... If you feel uncomfortable with the space, others may too. A quick question along the lines of "we've got x people on 60, do we need another boss? " might galvanise people to act. Sometimes it just needs a trigger.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the White
    Thanks
    Thanks Rik, clearly, I, need to grumble more and not worry so much.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    I think it is a good sign that one of the experts noticed the situation and was giving you some help, and advising others of your "plight".
    Was it the same expert who helped on each occasion.... or are there two experts who are keeping an eye on things?
    This sort of thing is almost always "tricky".
    It might be worth having a chat to the expert (or experts) and see what they have to say. They are clearly aware of what is happening, and will have " inside" knowledge of what the club expects its members to do in these situations. I don't mean "expects" in the sense that everyone has a set of rules they are expected to obey. I mean, the experts know what usually happens and how 5 on one boss is normally resolved, or accepted.
    Also, the longbow limb in the other archer's space can be awkward. It will have happened before, to other archers, and the experts will know what other members normally do about it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast