Face size/distance

I have just been given permission by a local school to use their field and targets. It is the first time I have been able to shoot distances outdoors other than 15m in my garden. I was going to start out out at 40m and was wondering what size face would be used in competition at that distance?

I have 40cm faces and some diy 20cm faces that I use. Maybe i'll have a go at 90m on the 40cm and see how I do
:poulies: :target:

lbp121

You would be better to start at the 15m you know and come back in 5m stages. In competition 30m and 50m are shot on an 80cm face and beyond this it is a full size 122cm.
If you do the 5m stages you will get to find the distances safely and know the point you have to work on. If really keen you'll be able to plot distance against sight and make a graph to predict unknown distances.

A

archer_alan

I have just been given permission by a local school to use their field and targets. It is the first time I have been able to shoot distances outdoors other than 15m in my garden. I was going to start out out at 40m and was wondering what size face would be used in competition at that distance?

I have 40cm faces and some diy 20cm faces that I use. Maybe i'll have a go at 90m on the 40cm and see how I do
:poulies: :target:

Most field courses measure their distances in yards, not metres, it can make a bit of difference. Normally a 50cms face would be used at 35 yards, 40 yards, 45 yards and 50 yards. Shooting at 40cms over 90 metres (or yards) isn't part of field archery specs, the furthest they shoot is 80 yards and that's at a 65cms target.

My advice would be to start off at a reasonably closer distance and gradually wolk back a few yards until you reach your optimum/maximun distance?

Hope this helps.

A

archer_alan

Most field courses measure their distances in yards, not metres, it can make a bit of difference. Normally a 50cms face would be used at 35 yards, 40 yards, 45 yards and 50 yards. Shooting at 40cms over 90 metres (or yards) isn't part of field archery specs, the furthest they shoot is 80 yards and that's at a 65cms target.

My advice would be to start off at a reasonably closer distance and gradually walk back a few yards until you reach your optimum/maximun distance?

Hope this helps.
Just like to add that these refer to EFAA field target sizes/distances.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I see you are in the Republic of Ireland - and you follow World Archery rounds only plus a few of your own - so I'm guessing you'll only shoot at distances measured in metres. Over here in the UK we have a myriad of rounds outside the World Archery system including lots of Metric rounds based on the 1440 full FITA round but on reduced distances for under 18 year olds age groups. We also have rounds set out at yards and these date from way back in time before our organisation joined World Archery.

As lpb121 say you'll use the 80cm face at 30 and 50m and the 122 at distances greater than that.

YOu'll find useful information here
FITA Awards ? Archery Ireland

Many thanks mk1.

I was doing some research on rounds and point and then discovered all the different metric/imperial rounds depending on which organisation you followed - talk about confusing.

Another question that arose way how many arrows are there in a typical end? Would you shoot a full dozen or do you shoot in 6's?

Phil Reay

Many thanks mk1.

I was doing some research on rounds and point and then discovered all the different metric/imperial rounds depending on which organisation you followed - talk about confusing.

Another question that arose way how many arrows are there in a typical end? Would you shoot a full dozen or do you shoot in 6's?
Most imperial rounds are shot in 6s but in competitions in 2 sets of 3. Most metric rounds are shot in 6s unless you are doing a Fita 90 which is shot in 6s at 90 and 70 and then 3s at 50 and 30. does get a bit confusing but a lot of metric rounds are shot as timed. although some imperial rounds are timed they are few and far between.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Many thanks mk1.

E For a 1440 full FITA - ends of 6 at the two longest distances and ends of 3 at the short unless you are given your own face at a competition in which case ends of 6 can be shot

NickL

...although some imperial rounds are timed they are few and far between.
Archery GB "Rules of Schooting" Rule 304 (f) 'Target Archery - Outdoors: Timing of Enders'
(i)[c]: "Two and a half minutes shall be the maximum time for an archer to shoot three arrows"
(ii)[c]: "After 4 minutes (if 6 arrows are to be shot) or 2 minutes (if 3 arrows are to be shot), or earlier if shooting line is clear, 2 audible signals indicate that the archers remaining on the shooting line shall retire"

I believe that this applies to all rounds, however it's down to the club as to whether its observed or not...