Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 6 of 8

Thread: Filling in score cards

  1. #1
    In the Black
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Filling in score cards

    Beginner's silly question(s) time.

    I need to get my handicap sorted so I'm going to have a go at scoring myself for the first time this weekend (I don't have a score book yet, so for now I'm going to print some score sheets from the internet). It seems that each row on a typical score card has space for recording two ends - half a dozen arrows each. Is there a reason for recording scores and running totals two ends at a time, other than to save space on the page? It would seem more logical to score each end on a separate row!

    How do I record scores for 3-arrow ends - would I still record two ends per row, but enter arrow scores into the first 3 boxes and leave the remaining 3 blank? Then total up each row in the usual way?

    And what happens when scoring a large round, e.g. a FITA 18 with 20 ends? I'm assuming score cards have enough room (they generally seem to have at least 10 rows of 2 ends each)! I've noticed some score cards have a "totals" row after every 4 or 5 normal rows. Is there any requirement to fill these in or just fill in the grand totals at the end of the round?

  2.  

  3. #2
    In the Blue RichParker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Beckenham, Kent
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts

  4. #3
    It's an X Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,217
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 108 Times in 107 Posts
    The reason for linear scoring is twofold, a good way of checking totals as you go, and a score for each dozen, which is a good measure of how you are doing.
    The breaks after every 3 doz or 6/4/2 doz matches outdoor round distance changes. A universal score pad may well have 6/4/3/3 dozens to cope with all combinations of Metric and Imperial rounds.
    Outdoors it is required to do each distance separately as there are records for distance scores as well as complete rounds.
    Scoring should be done rigorously in practice so that when you go to a club or open tournament you will know what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyste1 View Post
    Beginner's silly question(s) time.

    I need to get my handicap sorted so I'm going to have a go at scoring myself for the first time this weekend (I don't have a score book yet, so for now I'm going to print some score sheets from the internet). It seems that each row on a typical score card has space for recording two ends - half a dozen arrows each. Is there a reason for recording scores and running totals two ends at a time, other than to save space on the page? It would seem more logical to score each end on a separate row!

    How do I record scores for 3-arrow ends - would I still record two ends per row, but enter arrow scores into the first 3 boxes and leave the remaining 3 blank? Then total up each row in the usual way?

    And what happens when scoring a large round, e.g. a FITA 18 with 20 ends? I'm assuming score cards have enough room (they generally seem to have at least 10 rows of 2 ends each)! I've noticed some score cards have a "totals" row after every 4 or 5 normal rows. Is there any requirement to fill these in or just fill in the grand totals at the end of the round?
    Last edited by Tuck; 20-11-14 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Eat, drink, shoot, enjoy.

  5. #4
    It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. Raven's_Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,902
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 96 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyste1 View Post
    Beginner's silly question(s) time.

    I need to get my handicap sorted so I'm going to have a go at scoring myself for the first time this weekend (I don't have a score book yet, so for now I'm going to print some score sheets from the internet). It seems that each row on a typical score card has space for recording two ends - half a dozen arrows each. Is there a reason for recording scores and running totals two ends at a time, other than to save space on the page? It would seem more logical to score each end on a separate row!

    How do I record scores for 3-arrow ends - would I still record two ends per row, but enter arrow scores into the first 3 boxes and leave the remaining 3 blank? Then total up each row in the usual way?

    And what happens when scoring a large round, e.g. a FITA 18 with 20 ends? I'm assuming score cards have enough room (they generally seem to have at least 10 rows of 2 ends each)! I've noticed some score cards have a "totals" row after every 4 or 5 normal rows. Is there any requirement to fill these in or just fill in the grand totals at the end of the round?
    Most score cards I've seen have enough room to allow for a dozen arrows to be scored per line, breaking it in half to ease addition. As for reason......I suppose it's easier to count in dozens rather than half dozens.
    The total rows after a certain number of normal rows could be for different distances, as general ones are designed for both indoor and outdoor use.
    When shooting FITA 18 or Portsmouth, just enter them in as normal 6 number for the first box six for the 2nd.
    Longbows, the real bows.

  6. #5
    In the Black
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven's_Eye View Post
    When shooting FITA 18 or Portsmouth, just enter them in as normal 6 number for the first box six for the 2nd.
    So to clarify, when shooting 3-arrow ends indoors are you saying that I write down the individual arrow scores one after the other until I've filled a row with a dozen scores (i.e. 4 x 3-arrow ends), before totalling up and starting on the next row?

  7. #6
    It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. Raven's_Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,902
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 96 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyste1 View Post
    So to clarify, when shooting 3-arrow ends indoors are you saying that I write down the individual arrow scores one after the other until I've filled a row with a dozen scores (i.e. 4 x 3-arrow ends), before totalling up and starting on the next row?
    Depending on the layout of the score card but usually it's write down two ends then give total of the 6. Write down next two ends then give total of those 6 then total of 12. Then start new line.
    Longbows, the real bows.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Raven's_Eye For This Useful Post:

    andyste1 (01-12-14)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Score Cards
    By peth in forum General Archery Discussion & News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-09-10, 06:52 AM
  2. Score Cards
    By Dave in forum Archery-Interchange UK Shoots
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-05, 12:20 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •