Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gifted Bow

In the Green
    Thanks

Gifted Bow

Hi Everyone,

I have been gifted a wooden bow to start archery. It looks very old. The company
    that made it was Marksman and the model is a TS4. Will it be safe to shoot?

ta

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    "probably" s the best I could say - I would replace the string though and if you go to an archery shop then get them to give it a quick once over.

The best bet would be to join a club of some sorts though and let someone teach you how to shoot properly

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Early '70s bow - might hold together - might NOT.

As a beginner i'd get help from someone who knows what to do & look for.

You haven't told us anything about yourself or the bow's specification: bow length, draw weight, hand .... any of these might be inappropriate for you.
    ArcheryDuns

In the Green
    Thanks
    It was left to me in a will from an uncle that I didn't really know. I intend to start shooting.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenTat View Post
    It was left to me in a will from an uncle that I didn't really know. I intend to start shooting.
    Then the reality is no, it isn't suitable, at least until you get to a club, get measured (doing it yourself or via a forum like this usually results in costly and painful errors) and get shown what to do. Then you can get someone to check it's still safe, serviceable and whether it's serviceable for you now or maybe in the future as you develop. Not one of us is still shooting the same bow we started out on - we all develop strength style and technique as well as what we want to do with our shooting.
    You obviously don't know a great deal about archery yet, so the best place to start is a club. You get up to speed very fast and either your uncle's bow will be hanging on the wall as a decoration because it's no longer safe, it'll be there a few weeks or months while you get up to speed, or you'll be or too big or too small for it, in which case put it away somewhere cool, dry and dark for the next archer in you family.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    "Given" dunno why we've gone over to this American usage of "gifted"... makes me cringe.
    Gifted has more letters to say the same thing and it sounds about as elegant as a camel with 3 legs trying to run down a sand dune.
    Del
    (grumpy old man mode)
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast