Handicap Competition Assistant

JackC

I've been running handicap competitions for my club over the last few years as a way to encourage archers of all experiences to compete. As we have an ever increasing membership with constantly changing handicaps, it has always been time consuming sorting out what all the handicap adjustments should be by looking through tables. I got a little fed up with it so I've written a simple excel spreadsheet that does all the hard work. I've found it quite useful and I could see anything else similar online so I'm happy to share it with those who might want to make use of it. As I wasn't writing it for public distribution it is rough around the edges visually, but it is functional. All you need to do is select the round, populate the archer's name, handicap and score shot in to it and it automatically calculates and ranks archers according to their handicap adjusted score. It currently works for outdoor imperial and metric rounds and you can add your own custom rounds too. Indoor rounds will follow later on.

Unfortunately the file size is larger than the maximum I can post here, however, you can download the excel sheet from this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91800377/ArcheryHandicappedCompetitionAssistant.xlsx

Let me know if you find it useful or if you feel something is missing and I'll see what I can do to make this a better tool for everyone to use.

MiztaZiggy

Nice little spreadsheet :)

I work with spreadsheets day to day so appreciate the effort that goes into making things like this.

It looks a little odd when distance 3 shows up as 1 rather than nothing, but I see you've done that because of the formula in the results page returns #VALUE if it was blank.

One small point to note is that locking the individual pages isn't very secure. You can unlock them with numerous passwords.
I unlocked it to see how it works and add a sheet to calculate each archer's handicap from the last 3 scores which I think will be quite useful.

JackC

Thanks, I'm sure you have seen more elegant solutions to problems in excel, but it works.

It looks a little odd when distance 3 shows up as 1 rather than nothing, but I see you've done that because of the formula in the results page returns #VALUE if it was blank.
Yes, I couldn't work that one out. I'll hopefully discover what I'm not doing correctly and sort it out in the future.

One small point to note is that locking the individual pages isn't very secure. You can unlock them with numerous passwords.
I unlocked it to see how it works and add a sheet to calculate each archer's handicap from the last 3 scores which I think will be quite useful.
I'm not that bothered about people unlocking it. It was mostly done to stop people accidentally editing boxes that don't need changing while using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MiztaZiggy

No no, it's great.

You can just get it to ignore zero cells with if formulas, such as:

=if (a2>0, a2 * a1, "")

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

NellyCB

JackC I'd love to make use of this if it'll help me. The file isnt showing when I click the link though. Is it poss to have access please?