Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the WA1440 fallen out of favour ?

Thanks

Has the WA1440 fallen out of favour ?

I shoot all 4 bow types but regard myself as a longbow archer, as such I enter longbow comps that are mostly Westerns (one or two way) and the occasional York if itís record status.

Had a notification from Kent Archery Association yesterday that their forthcoming WRS WA1440 has been cancelled due to only 18 entrants - not a comp I was drawn to as it was only for barebow, recurve and compound.

Now here is the odd thing - someone commented that maybe the reason for low take up is that the WA1440 as a round has lost its appeal for competition archers who are focussing more on WA720 & H2H comps as thatís where the ranking points are.

They also hypothesised that competition archers donít like shooting straw bosses only foamies ? ? ?

Was just wondering if this is the case nationwide or if it was just a blip caused by other reasons, were not into the holiday season just yet but maybe there were clashing events out of county that Iíve not noticed.

Anyhow having well beaten our club New National record last weekend I am looking forward to my first comp of the year - The KAA longbow tournament in two weeks - which promises to be very well attended indeed according to the person who kindly booked me in outside of the deadline (shooting to BLBS rules so no limit to archers per boss!)

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, that is my impression too - 720 plus H2H is what everyone wants, and ACEs and X10s don't like straw.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Timid Toad For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (23-05-19)

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Wasn't Kent one of the few county champs that still shot on straw?? No wonder they struggled for entrants! We held our county champs last week (1440) and got three times the number of county archers turning up that have done for the last few years... but ours has had the ignomy of being a tacked on event for the last few years (firstly on the second day of SAW and then Rivernook) and county numbers had dropped into the low 20s. We took it over this year, making it a shoot unto itself. Got someone from all the Surrey clubs which was also nice.

No ranking points though, as it was a closed shoot for county archers only... and as our field can only really fit 22-25 bosses, we might not be able to ever open it up to all archers.

1440s are always going to be shot, as they (along with York/Herefords) are the only way to get access into The Masters, which being a Tier 1 event has lots of rankings points available.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bimble For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (23-05-19)

Thanks
    Hmmm........ so straw bosses are really an issue for the expensive carbon stick fraternity, I hadn’t realised.

Obviously target material isn’t of concern with longbow arrows.

Even for me with longbow it is necessary to trawl through the competition lists for Kent and other nearby counties at the start of the year and be quite selective in choosing where to put my time & entry money if I am to qualify for MB or GMB - record status only, etc - but I know that there are a great many ‘lesser’ comps in-county that offer a lot more relaxed fun and entertainment for my days travelling.

I suppose if you want to be at the very top of the sport then decisions such as rounds and bosses do make a very significant impact on your choice of attendance at events over their closeness to home.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've spoken to stick shooters who won't shoot at foam - as they are more likely to hit the wood of the frame, so they'd rather shoot straw. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    The 4 way county match in Kent Sunday is a 1440 I guess we are shooting at straw, as long as it is Egertec should not be a problem as a one off, not keen shooting straw all the time as it is abrasive and wears the carbon off the shaft.

Shame it is all 720's these days IMO a York and 1440 is a true reflection of ability - not only the distances, but weather and adaptability to changing distances quickly.

The Koreans think so as their championships are still a double 1440 although you have to shoot around 1300 just to qualify

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast