How far am I likely to be able to shoot?

nbuuifx

Just out of interest, what do you think the max distance I will be able to shoot is, with my current setup. Also what bit of the equipment is the limiting factor?

Hoyt horizon
SF elite fibre foam limbs 34.5lbs on the fingers.
Acc 500 spine arrows with xs spin wings.

Arrows are a bit stiff but seem to work ok!

Currently shooting up to 70m.

ben tarrow

Just out of interest, what do you think the max distance I will be able to shoot is, with my current setup. Also what bit of the equipment is the limiting factor?

Hoyt horizon
SF elite fibre foam limbs 34.5lbs on the fingers.
Acc 500 spine arrows with xs spin wings.

Arrows are a bit stiff but seem to work ok!

Currently shooting up to 70m.
Whats the actual question here?
Are you talking about flight archery or just whether you'll be able to shoot 90m for a full WA1440?

nbuuifx

What the max target distance I'd be able to shoot is with that setup, and what the limiting factor is.

As I went through the distances the difference in the sight settings was fairly uniform between distances. Going from 60 yards to 70m seemed to have a much larger difference (I know the imperial to metric makes it a bit more). I'm guessing that I am approaching the limit of my setup.

If that is true, what is the limiting factor?

Is it the arrows?
Is it the poundage of the bow?

jerryRTD

How much sight travel do you have left before the arrow or bits of it hit the sight ring? How far extended from the riser is the sight? are the limbs fully wound in to give the max poundage?
If the answer to these questions is low as it can be, close to the riser and fully wound in then limb poundage would seem to be your limiting factor. Another limiting factor is your ability to use a heavier pair of limbs.

Last edited:

nbuuifx

Limbs are fully wound in. They are 28lb limbs but I have quite a long draw length, so on the fingers it has been measured at 34.5lbs.

I ended up with the sight all the way in for 70m (but it is a Avalon Tec One Sight which only has notches for about half it's length so it isn't that close).
The sight pin however is still a couple of inches above the shaft. I could have the sight further out and the pin lower. For all other distances I have the sight as far out as it will go but when I did this at 70m and I moved the pin down as close as I dared before interfering with the fletchings then they were just dropping low. I had to aim at 12 o'clock black to get them around the gold.

jerryRTD

Only thing to do is bring the sight fully in and full down and try 90 meters. 100 yds. = 94 meters so you should be able to tell if your going the get 100 by looking at the angle of the arrows at 90 meters ( assuming that you hit the boss at 90 meters).

Last edited:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you take off the sight and aim the point of the arrow at the gold at 90m you will see how things are. If they land low, there is no sight position that will get 90m.
The limiting factors are arrow speed and face length from eye to arrow nock. ( which is eye to chin plus the thickness of your index finger)
Arrow speed is related to draw weight and arrow weight.Draw weight is the more reliable one as increasing that will increase the range. Sometimes arrows can be too light; they set off faster but slow down sooner. Fletchings can drag the arrows low, too. Big fletchings with a high profile are OK for indoors but can hinder at max range.

ben tarrow

Reaching and hitting (consistently) are 2 different things. Until you can do the 2nd (at shorter distances), dont worry about the first.
Nothing more annoying that spending your day waiting for someone else looking for their arrows because they've over distanced themselves. :) [must not forget the smiley]

nbuuifx

Well I had a go, with the sight all the way in and all the way down as far as I dared go. The first arrow went right in the bottom of the left leg.

I inverted the sight and was able to hit the boss but they're all over the place at that distance.

Happy to know they can reach but went back down to 70m. Still improving at 70 at the moment. Fairly accurate at 60.

Think I will need to up the poundage at some point if I want to shoot any further.

D

Deleted member 7654

Get yourself out to a field shoot (preferably without sights).
I went at one yesterday going round with 4 other archers, 1 American flatbow, 2 with modern target recurves (but only one using sights and carbons, the other using woodies) and one compound unlimited.
I was shooting a self Yew longbow (with spliced up arrows not specifically spined for that bow)... each of us was better than the others on some target...
On a small Owl 3D at about 4 yards, the compound couldn't work out the sights and took an age!... I walked up, didn't think , bam.. in the kill. I prob came last on actual score but it wasn't really relevant as my score needs to be compared with other longbows. I still did ok and on some targets got a first arrow hit when the compound and one of the others missed.
The main thing was we all had fun and appreciated the other's chosen discipline, I had a look through the compound to see how the sighting looked and my self bow was admired.
It was mostly about distance estimation which would be the factor in any real 'world shooting' situation. Most shots were between 15 and 40 yards but many were very deceptive being behind a series of ridges or dips. I tended to overestimate thinking I was shooting 45 not 35 yards, which with a self bow is a big difference.

The point of this post is to try and illustrate that you don't need the tyranny of expensive equipment and overthink to have some fun (especially for kids) with a bow and arrows.
Del

Corax67

This is a topic that is identical to a conversation to one at a club I guest shoot at - an archer who has been shooting 9 months waltzed through to 1st class (80yds) but now is having nightmares at 100yds with consistency and accuracy, struggling at times to get 3 of his 6 on the boss.

The archer is on 'fast' 36# limbs and ACC's but has a relatively 'short' draw length of 26".

Having struggled massively myself With the step up to 100yds I gently suggested maybe spending some time consolidating at 80yd or 70m, perhaps even having a session or two on barebow or longbow for a change and a bit of relaxation - this was met negatively by the club coach who was focussed on keeping the archer at 100yds until they "got their eye in". This may be because in league matches recurve archers have to shoot maximum distance for their classification and this archer is fiercely competitive at the moment but whatever the reason he was the coach so I left it at that.

I hope you find a resolution to your distance issue that's not too expensive and continue enjoying this madly frustrating sport :)

Karl

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Similar question but I shoot at 50lbs indoors; shooting 60 arrows on a Portsmouth that's about right and while not exactly great, I can get reasonable scores.
But I'm wondering if it's worth cranking up the poundage for outdoors (which we now shoot as it's the outdoor season!) as the distances are much greater?
Doing okay but could be better and have no problem pulling 50lbs.

Mrrikki

Similar question but I shoot at 50lbs indoors; shooting 60 arrows on a Portsmouth that's about right and while not exactly great, I can get reasonable scores.
But I'm wondering if it's worth cranking up the poundage for outdoors (which we now shoot as it's the outdoor season!) as the distances are much greater?
Doing okay but could be better and have no problem pulling 50lbs.
My bow is 46 to 48 one depending who's scale you use lol I can reach 100 yards with it you should be OK if the now is set up well including correct peep alignment and good anchor point etc.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Recurve - I have only 32lbs on the fingers (870 ACCs with XS wings), but can reach 90m with the sight all the way in and down (18-70m are all on the sight at the extension I want, ~7")

Compound - 50lbs should be ok for 90m, assuming that you don't suffer from a low peep-arrow distance and you're not using particularly heavy arrows.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
My bow is 46 to 48 one depending who's scale you use lol I can reach 100 yards with it you should be OK if the now is set up well including correct peep alignment and good anchor point etc.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Thanks. Only shot to 50 yards so far and got more in (roughly) the right place than expected!