Hoyt HPX & F7 limbs

SRF

I don't seem to see many user reviews of the Hoyt HPX online. Would any owners care to post their thoughts on this riser - ideally, for me, paired with F7 limbs?

Thanks

Stretch

What exactly is it you're looking for? I guess the results are unquestionable so it's feel you're asking about?

I was shooting an RX F4 before deciding to tinker with the HPX and F7. I went with foam core as they are about 1 fps faster and i have a relatively light 43# draw weight with 31.75" X10. The HPX F7 bow is fast (enough) and mine is very smooth, quiet and fuss free. ( using Fuse Blades). I find it pretty easy to tune and get good results from it...

... However, for me the balance is not where I like it to be. I honestly think that the geometry works BUT you end up with a lot of mass in front of the pivot. Especially with the shipped grip that puts the throat even further back. Now... You'd think that balance would be easy to tweak out with changes to stabilisers, weights, extenders, v-bar angle etc but actually I found it really hard to get it just the way I wanted - even now I'd say my RX aims better for me (but the HPX shoots better). This is very personal and many may prefer this balance - but it is harder work for me. The HPX always feels like the shot goes off in front of me - the RX felt like I was in the middle (may sound dumb to others!) changing the grip to an older style Hoyt grip did not help - although why I am not sure. I think that is why the Ion-x came into production - same geometry with a neutral balance. I haven't shot the Ion-x but I probably will as I loved the Axis and Helix... But many hours testing off the Helix and the RX came out in clear favour of the RX.

I should say that all my Formula bows are 27" risers. My F7s are medium, I have medium and long F4. Even at 32" to the front of the riser I get no noticeable stacking with any of the limbs. When my draw length was a bit shorter the medium limb always came out best for me (70" bow) even shooting spots at 10m but now I'm drawing a bit longer I think the long limb is more forgiving of finger placement issues. This is very archer specific and my hook is very deep. Personal choice aside I wouldn't recommend long riser, long limb to anyone under 31" draw unless they have buckets of bow speed :) my feeling is that you are probably looking at:
31.5"+ 72"
30+ 70" either way
28"+ 68" either way
<28 Then 66"

Just watch out if you go for the 25" riser - I would not be able to get an 18m sight mark with that riser and x10. Others get on fine but the sight window is short. But the 25" riser suits archers who like lighter bows.

I also find it interesting that the RX with the F7 limbs is not as smooth and vibration free as the HPX.

So if you prefer the Hoyts over the W&W and other exotics I'd say you just need to work out your preferred balance - if you like neutral then Ion-x otherwise HPX. The choice between wood core or foam core F7, I don't think many could differentiate... But wood core seems the choice of the Elite ( but need to be looked after more and are a tiny bit slower). You might also consider the 720 limb which Some people speak highly of. I didn't like the sound of the F4 limbs. They were always quite noisy and I guess plastic sounding. The Foam F7 makes a nice quiet zmmm.

YMMV

Stretch

SRF

Thank you for your detailed thoughts Stretch - I'm picking up my HPX and foam F7s later in the week and will be interested to see how my experience compares to yours.

Kind regards

Scott