Hoyt ION-X or GP Xtreme

Basilios

Ilf limbs are the standard. The gpx would give you more limb choices.

Don't know of anyone who has shot the gpx. That being said both risers will shoot way better than any of us can.

chuffalump

A clubmate has just bought the GPX. He says it feels very dead in his hands compared to his previous setup. No vibration, very solid I guess that means. Mind you, he has jumped from a Horizon to the GPX.

Mad Wally

A clubmate has just bought the GPX. He says it feels very dead in his hands compared to his previous setup. No vibration, very solid I guess that means. Mind you, he has jumped from a Horizon to the GPX.
I guess this could be interpreted in two ways, either:

Not much feeling or feedback, hard to tell if the shot feels right
or
Solid, inspiring confidance, little stress to the bowarm and hand

For what it's worth I also recently upgraded from a SF forged plus to a GMX (27") and my scores have improved quite a bit. I love the grip, it is quite narrow so much less hand torque error. The additional weight makes it feel very stable and confidant. It does not jump from my hand in the same way the SF did even though I turned in the limb bolts quite a bit to compensate for the 2" longer setup, but it rolls forward in a very controlled manner.

For me the choice was between the GMX or the RX as I am a LH archer and there are only a few LH 27" risers around and I don't like the new HPX or ION-X design as I have a 31.5" draw.
I chose for the GMX as I prefer the freedom of choice of the ILF limbs and I agree with the many archers that the fomula limbs are overpriced and that you can get a much better deal on an ILF limb used or new from any of the other manufacturers.

Basilios

A LH gmx in 27 is what I've been searching for forever. I have a gmx in 25 but I'd love a longer riser.

Bigfrank28

I guess this could be interpreted in two ways, either:

Not much feeling or feedback, hard to tell if the shot feels right
or
Solid, inspiring confidance, little stress to the bowarm and hand

For what it's worth I also recently upgraded from a SF forged plus to a GMX (27") and my scores have improved quite a bit. I love the grip, it is quite narrow so much less hand torque error. The additional weight makes it feel very stable and confidant. It does not jump from my hand in the same way the SF did even though I turned in the limb bolts quite a bit to compensate for the 2" longer setup, but it rolls forward in a very controlled manner.

For me the choice was between the GMX or the RX as I am a LH archer and there are only a few LH 27" risers around and I don't like the new HPX or ION-X design as I have a 31.5" draw.
I chose for the GPX as I prefer the freedom of choice of the ILF limbs and I agree with the many archers that the fomula limbs are overpriced and that you can get a much better deal on an ILF limb used or new from any of the other manufacturers.

Is is a GMX or a GPX you have? What limbs are you currently using? Have you tried Formula limbs before?

Bigfrank28

Hello Bigfrank, What setup are you shooting currently?
When I started I had a 2nd hand 25" Hoyt nexus with medium 42lb 990tx's holding 46lbs at 30" draw.

I was finding this was pinching my fingers too much so bought an 27" INNO Max using the same limbs. In hindsight (such a wonderful thing!!) I should have went for a 25" with long limbs.

Ive now sold both the inno max and the 990tx limbs and am looking at a 25" riser with long limbs - either an ION-x or a GPX with quattro limbs.

Im conscious of many people having difficulty with seeing their sight at 18m with the ION-X and would rather not go for a 27" riser to solve that.

The best option is to go to a good archery shop and try a few combinations

RogueFletching

Ion- X and GPX have the same geometry.just as Mad Wally alluded to draw weight, those riser are going to produce a heavier draw at long draw lengths. I changed from and SF to an 27" ION-X and even with a longer riser is was a 7# increase out of the box (note I use Uukhas).
Haven't heard of it so far but the GPX may also suffer with the shorter sight window like the 25" HPX and ION-X.

There are many arguments over which limb type is better. The advantage of ILF is a wide selection of limbs however if you going to stick to an all Hoyt bow, the ION-X (IMO) is the better choice.

And yes...

The best option is to go to a good archery shop and try a few combinations

Mad Wally

Is is a GMX or a GPX you have? What limbs are you currently using? Have you tried Formula limbs before?
I have the GMX (don't like the tec design for a recurve) with Uukha EX1 long limbs 32 lbs, 39 otf. I am looking to upgrade to 36 lbs UX100.

And no I haven't shot formula limbs as I am afraid to borrow and then damage them due to my long draw. My comment of the formula limbs was based on the many remarks that the F7's are the only good formula limbs where thre are many reasonably priced good ILF limbs.

Bigfrank28

Haven't heard of it so far but the GPX may also suffer with the shorter sight window like the 25" HPX and ION-X.

I'm assuming the sight window compatibility depends on the distance between your anchor and the centre of your eye?

Does anyone know what the max distance that would allow you to use a 25" ION-X would be??

Ar-Pe-Lo

I'm assuming the sight window compatibility depends on the distance between your anchor and the centre of your eye?

Does anyone know what the max distance that would allow you to use a 25" ION-X would be??

No the problem is with formula risers only, because formula limbs need to have longer but - so sight window is shorter.

Can I ask what was wrong with 27" Inno max? as its seems to me ideal rires for 30" DL.....

Easily Confused

Didn't like the grip. Thought it was too wide and I think 25" / long limbs would be smoother.
Could you just make a custom grip? I dislike the feel of any bow I pick up other than my own due to the grip but I'm sure you could buy a spare and reshape it.

As for 25"+Long vs 27" + Medium, what's your draw length?