Making the County Team / Selection shoots?

10point9

Hi all,

I have emailed (what I hope is the right person at) my County Archery Assn. in regard to the selection shoots for making the County Team, but I thought I'd ask here as well...

Does anyone know: there are four selection shoots listed on the County website - does an archer need to attend (and shoot well at) all four selection shoots in order to be considered?

I'm asking partly for myself, but also on behalf of another club member who is recovering from injury and is concerned about making the first one in May...

Thanks!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Hi all,

I have emailed (what I hope is the right person at) my County Archery Assn. in regard to the selection shoots for making the County Team, but I thought I'd ask here as well...

Does anyone know: there are four selection shoots listed on the County website - does an archer need to attend (and shoot well at) all four selection shoots in order to be considered?

I'm asking partly for myself, but also on behalf of another club member who is recovering from injury and is concerned about making the first one in May...

Thanks!
Er, rules are likely to vary from county to county...
Some won't even have selection shoots.
So it may be an idea to mention your county, in case someone local can answer.

10point9

:) Wouldn't it be nice if there was a standard across all counties? I know, a nice dream... :)

Anyway, the records officer for my county (Somerset) was on the ball and has already replied to my email.

For anyone else interested, this was her reply:

they don't need to attend all four, these are just nominated local tournaments that I will check results from. I also accept scores sent in from any other tournaments archers take part in.

The team gets picked by looking at scores shot throughout the year, calculating an average for each archer, and I go with that for selection. I also take in to account how people are shooting through the year. For example if someone has a bad start to the season but picks up through the year I may pick them over an archer who's shooting has tailed off, even if they have similar average scores.

Now, if the weather would just warm up a bit, I'd be looking forward to the outdoor season a bit more! :)

10point9

There are similar issues in rifle shooting - there isn't even any clear path for moving from shooting for your town, through county, region and then nation teams... To shoot for your county you have to let them know that you're interested, and then get 'selected' though what on earth the process for that is seems to be a well kept secret! :)

The selection criteria for DWAA is -

Archers positions will be taken from the best 3 shoots.

Points will be given to archers on their position in each tournament.
Lowest points = top ranking
1st place = 1
2nd place = 2
3rd place = 3 etc.

Those archers that attain GMB or MB status within the current outdoor season must contact the Records Officer as this will ensure that they are automatically ranked at the top of the table. However, if there are too many archers that qualify through gaining GMB or MB status, GMBs will be given preference and then MBs then positions from the selection shoots will be taken into consideration.

Where there are not enough archers participating in each category, known archers will be invited to represent the county. This will be done on their performance/scores at other events. The Records Officer will have the final say in any matter to do with the selection of the County Team.

Seems fair to me.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
The selection criteria for DWAA is -

Archers positions will be taken from the best 3 shoots.

Points will be given to archers on their position in each tournament.
Lowest points = top ranking
1st place = 1
2nd place = 2
3rd place = 3 etc.

Those archers that attain GMB or MB status within the current outdoor season must contact the Records Officer as this will ensure that they are automatically ranked at the top of the table. However, if there are too many archers that qualify through gaining GMB or MB status, GMBs will be given preference and then MBs then positions from the selection shoots will be taken into consideration.

Where there are not enough archers participating in each category, known archers will be invited to represent the county. This will be done on their performance/scores at other events. The Records Officer will have the final say in any matter to do with the selection of the County Team.

Seems fair to me.
Seems a bit of a muddle to me - one one hand it says if you are good we will pick you and on the other you could go to some wee shoots and get well placed with lowish scores and get lots of points

10point9

It's an interesting question - you might perhaps have thought that position would go simply on an archer's handicap, taken from all shoots recorded over the season. Why do some shoots qualify and not others? Why are scores from club days/nights not taken into account, if they are appropriately witnessed? Or are they - I'm not that well educated about how scores are recorded and tracked.

I also note that there isn't as much encouragement for 'improving' archers (although techncially we should all be classed as improving!) - in rifle shooting there are classes or divisions in each competition, so that there are possibilities to win at each level. These are done based on the individual's 'average' (akin to a handicap) from the previous season, confirmed by their club's records officer. In archery only the highest scores overall win on the day - so a 2nd or 3rd class archer might not feel it's even worth attending a tournament...

I'm not sure if it would be feasible to do medals for the different classes though - rifle shooting competitions don't take as much time as archery tournaments (a typical match takes 90 minutes for each shooter) and space limitations may mean that accomodating more archers wouldn't be possible.

Seems a bit of a muddle to me - one one hand it says if you are good we will pick you and on the other you could go to some wee shoots and get well placed with lowish scores and get lots of points
There are specific qualifying shoots, 4 or 5 in total I think, so if you want a place in the team you have to attend the shoots. I think that's fair but then that is all I have known.

If it was based on your best scores on any shoots you went to then you could be lucky and be shooting on a day that has perfect conditions and somebody else be unlucky enought to pick the opposite.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I also note that there isn't as much encouragement for 'improving' archers (although techncially we should all be classed as improving!) - in rifle shooting there are classes or divisions in each competition, so that there are possibilities to win at each level. These are done based on the individual's 'average' (akin to a handicap) from the previous season, confirmed by their club's records officer. In archery only the highest scores overall win on the day - so a 2nd or 3rd class archer might not feel it's even worth attending a tournament...
There is a classification system for archery it runs from - not classified, unlassified, 3rd, 2nd,1st, Bowman, Master Bowman, Grand Master Bowman - for Outdoor and not classified, unlassified, E, D, C, B, A for Indoor

Tournament organiser may have awards for these different classes - and if they do this will be stated on the entry form

10point9

That's nice to know - thanks mk1. I know that there are also awards on the day for specific shots - best red, worst white etc. to make things a little more fun for participants.

fanio

There is a classification system for archery it runs from - not classified, unlassified, 3rd, 2nd,1st, Bowman, Master Bowman, Grand Master Bowman - for Outdoor and not classified, unlassified, E, D, C, B, A for Indoor

Tournament organiser may have awards for these different classes - and if they do this will be stated on the entry form
In my opinion, that's part of a problem with archery - at some shoots you're almost guaranteed a medal by just turning up because there are just as many classes/categories as (or more than) there are archers. Same thing where people are allowed to enter into different types of rounds. I'd rather end up going home because I have finished in 6th place in a well-attended style, than get a medal by shooting against myself and one other bloke in some made-up sub-category.

If you want an "incentive" (other Han the joy of seeing an arrow fly, feeling a good shot every now and then, and the meditative qualities of being fully "present" in the moment whilst on the line), look at how well the top guys are shooting, and then work on technique, mental game etc and WORK to get better. If you're good enough, you'll win a medal. If you don't win a medal, you weren't good enough. It really IS that simple.

Wookster

From what I've seen Hampshire has selection shoots, but there is a classification requirement to qualify fot these, Bowman for Gents recurve for example.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
And Surrey works off submitted 12 doz. scores to the website.

grimsby archer

Lincolnshire's is based on ones ability to turn up, though that's not an absolute (Gary)

So, if you want to make a county team, find a county that is desperately short of something (Lincolnshire, Gents barebow clout), affiliate, volunteer and collect the sweatshirt :)

english_archer

Ironman
Lincolnshire's is based on ones ability to turn up, though that's not an absolute (Gary)

So, if you want to make a county team, find a county that is desperately short of something (Lincolnshire, Gents barebow clout), affiliate, volunteer and collect the sweatshirt :)
Dont Know what you mean G.A. we had two signed up for the intercounties clout this year :)
Ive been having a bit of a think actually and if Im still in the job I am planning on changing things up a little next year ;)

grimsby archer

Dont Know what you mean G.A. we had two signed up for the intercounties clout this year :)
Ive been having a bit of a think actually and if Im still in the job I am planning on changing things up a little next year ;)
I'm stunned that there is someone in Lincolnshire that's heard of the internet.
Have you been brought in to raise the average IQ?

Wookster

I'm stunned that there is someone in Lincolnshire that's heard of the internet.
Have you been brought in to raise the average IQ?

LoL!!