National County Team Tournament

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
RESULTS are now available on the GNAS website and it seems to have gone reasonably ok... though I did note that less than half the counties (20/42) sent teams and that the division groups ranged in size from as small as three (ladies longbow) to the full 20 (gents recurve).

I didn't get to go (my county was one of the 22 that didn't attend), so I was wondering... success?? Looking at results sheets from previous incarnations of the Midsummer Team shoot there were more teams/archers present in the older formats, but maybe more counties will take part if it happens this way again...

What are your thoughts?? (especially if you went)

Furface

Supporter
As it is just about the only thing that genuinely gives counties a purpose, it should continue. I suspect that the 22 counties who did not attend will be the disorganised/disinterested bunch who doubt the reasons for their own existence.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Apart from Intercounties* I guess you mean... and county champs...

As it is just about the only thing that genuinely gives counties a purpose, it should continue. I suspect that the 22 counties who did not attend will be the disorganised/disinterested bunch who doubt the reasons for their own existence.
* - I know SCAS and WAA hold them.... so assuming other regions do too...

ricer

Well we had a great time, came fifth overall (Gents Compound) made a few new friends, played paper plane tennis with the Kent squad in the hotel. Long live the tournament.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Ha! In my county the county archers wanted to go, but mostly the elite archers were asked and when they couldn't go the management chose not to ask anyone else. Much to the annoyance of the people who actually do shoot.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Ha! In my county the county archers wanted to go, but mostly the elite archers were asked and when they couldn't go the management chose not to ask anyone else. Much to the annoyance of the people who actually do shoot.

You should all have written and asked them why you couldn't go. The event was all about bringing people together and haveing some healthy competition so why were they being so precious...

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
As a county secretary I only found out about it via another archer who has friends in another county. No direct notification from the organiser. We had a very short time to sort out the teams. They did well but were effectively self-selected - I hope they were our best team but normally for intercounty stuff we send out a request for scores and do a proper selection process. I suspect some counties did not find out until too late.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
You should all have written and asked them why you couldn't go. The event was all about bringing people together and haveing some healthy competition so why were they being so precious...

Tell me about it. Complaints have been made, but I suspect we will be fobbed off with some excuse.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Hopefully Surrey will be there next time, in the email I got when I asked about it the Team Manager did say,
May be we will put teams in next year, but as it's it won't be this year.
and I was given the option to find two other county archers who wanted to go... alas the ones I knew well enough to want to shoot with didn't want to/couldn't go.

My favourite format is the way they did it in '11 and '09 where you came as a team and there was a team handicap worked out after the first 720...

Proper-bo Selecta

Hopefully Surrey will be there next time, in the email I got when I asked about it the Team Manager did say,

and I was given the option to find two other county archers who wanted to go... alas the ones I knew well enough to want to shoot with didn't want to/couldn't go.

My favourite format is the way they did it in '11 and '09 where you came as a team and there was a team handicap worked out after the first 720...
The 09 handicap sucked IMHO. We lost against your team, but couldn't win even if we had shot a perfect score (genius organisation)!

heroblob

It was an Excellent event. One of the best in the country.
Lots of team moral, loads of inter county banter. The music selection was excellent as well. The format was spot on. There were people there who had never shot outside their county, who will now be attending national events. The only thing that was slightly amiss was the Lilleshall wind. But hey its the same for everyone. It was incredible to see how tight the scores were throughout the whole weekend for the top 5 gents recurve teams.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I can see this tournament becoming the biggest in the country, and is definitely being run next year.

swift

Id agree with all of the above excellent weekend and the organisation on the two days was first class definitely a great experience. H2H banter was a great added extra compared to the shoooooooooo on the line. well done to all involved in a great weekend.

heroblob

The ladies hockey team show was a nice surprise as well. Hope they arrange that for next year as well.

bowtech

I went ,and I loved every minute of it.We came 11th overall (compound)Baggy.with room for improvement.But a great atmosphere with good weather to boot.Looking forward to the next one:beer:

munchkin

Supporter
Supporter
I really miss going to this shoot, as it's always so much fun, regardless of who you're shooting with, but as I keep saying, it's all well and good if there are actually enough people (sex/bow class/willing to go) in the county to form a team!
I would really love it next year (as I suspect I still won't be able to qualify with a team) if they opened it up to individuals who could just shoot the quali and fita.

BTW does anyone know which hockey team(s) were playing? England were in Chiswick playing the World League all week...

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
My bad, our female compounder pulled out of the shoot a week before hand and because it had to be a mixed team the only female I could talk into was a recurver who'd never shot compound till the morning on the shoot (no, seriously). So she started a bit slow, which bolstered our handicap. Hats off to her though, shooting a 720, team H2H and then the FITA having never shot compound before...

The 09 handicap sucked IMHO. We lost against your team, but couldn't win even if we had shot a perfect score (genius organisation)!
I did read on FB from someone "and photobombed the Dutch women's hockey team"

BTW does anyone know which hockey team(s) were playing? England were in Chiswick playing the World League all week...

munchkin

Supporter
Supporter
[QUOTE

I did read on FB from someone "and photobombed the Dutch women's hockey team"[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? I missed a fab shoot and getting to watch the world no 1 womens hockey team?

Ar-Pe-Lo

I would really love it next year (as I suspect I still won't be able to qualify with a team) if they opened it up to individuals who could just shoot the quali and fita.
I don't think it will happen as whole point of this event is Team comp.....and it always was. And I'm sure it will be no space left next year.