New Arrows Aliminium or Carbon

Microphonic

What distances do you shoot? Poundage? Personally I mostly shoot 20-40 yards and have platinum plus arrows. They do the job and are more accurate than me (especially now I've tuned my bow to them) Someone more experienced will be along shortly but I have always sort of thought I'd get carbon arrows when I'm at my final / near to my final draw weight, shooting out to 100 yards and not really missing much. (carbons are damaged invisibly by hitting hard stuff like target stands!!!)

Phil Reay

really depends on what you want to do with them. I've got both. I use xx75 with feathers indoors because i don't need the speed or the range (doesn't get much further away than 20 yards) but i need the to shoot 100 yards outdoors so my arrows are carbons (X10) and they hit with a 36lb shooting barebow. the nearer i come, the tighter the groups but they do tend to be a bit unforgiving so the hand shaking at full draw doesn't help (at 100 yds a 1/2" variance will mean a miss at the other end) but my aluminium arrows won't reach that far anyway. Carbons fly much flatter and faster than aluminiums so i can actually sight on the target and not aim up in the clouds (damn things keep moving which is most unfair).
Step up in easy stages. I started with ACC, then ACE and then X10, taking many years to do so but everytime i did the step, my scores improved but arrows, like bows, take a bit of getting used to and need slightly different tuning. My advice? definitely go for ACC (or higher if you can afford them) but don't expect master bowman results immediately.
Good shooting

Davewarn

As Phil said ACC's would be a good start, carbon ones are great but their all carbon so most comps dont allow all carbon arrows. rather than eclipse id go for XX75's as their just as good and cheeper :)

rbjfalcon

What distances do you shoot? Poundage? Personally I mostly shoot 20-40 yards and have platinum plus arrows. They do the job and are more accurate than me (especially now I've tuned my bow to them) Someone more experienced will be along shortly but I have always sort of thought I'd get carbon arrows when I'm at my final / near to my final draw weight, shooting out to 100 yards and not really missing much. (carbons are damaged invisibly by hitting hard stuff like target stands!!!)
Finally settled on Hoyt Horizon with 32 lb. ZR330 limbs giving me a 68" bow.

Getting new arrows combined with my first outdoor season I was just wondering which arrows would give me that extra range beyond 20 yds.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Getting new arrows combined with my first outdoor season I was just wondering which arrows would give me that extra range beyond 20 yds.
Your Jazz's should be fine outdoor up to about 50m - technically, there is not reason why they won't shoot fine out to 90m. Once you are looking to go further than 50m, it MAY be advantageous to look at come of the ali/Carbon options.

Don't rush out & buy anything until you've tried what you've got, to see what you may need.

ayrton clark

I shot Jazz arrows 70 yards really well and i dont think better arrows would have helped much. I suggest getting Easton Eclipse arrows though, thats what i bought after my jazz's. The only reason i changed from my jazz arrows is because after 4 years they seemed far too bent and completely lost their constancy somehow.
Finally settled on Hoyt Horizon with 32 lb. ZR330 limbs giving me a 68" bow.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
...rather than eclipse id go for XX75's as their just as good and cheeper :)
That's not been my experience. I've six arrows left of a set of X7s Eclipses which I bought 7 years ago. They're battered and dented and scratched, but still accurate at 100 yards. Platinums (XX75) are good arrows, but having shot both I've always found the X7s to perform better in all situations, especially in wind. The advantage of Platinums is that they're more repairable - X7s are pretty much finished when they get bent.