recurve to flatbow for target archery

gasman

After having 70 odd reads of my question and having no responses I am thinking my question is in the wrong place, so here goes, I'll try again in another category, i'm sure someone out there can help.
At present I shoot target recurve, 70",with 30lbs limbs, aprox.giving 40lbs or so on the fingers draw length 31 1/2".and would like to try Flatbow,What would I need to get started; size, draw weight, type of string, etc.
Would I be able to use my old Eclips X7's 2212 and plat plus'2016 which have feathers on,?
One reason for trying Flatbow is to cut down on all the time spent fiddling about setting up my recurve and taking it down after short while. I feel it could probably be more satisfying after reading what other archers have written.
I am looking at the Samick Flatbow which seems to be 69" and will come within budget,or would I need a longer one? and what about the draw weight ? do I go for the same limb poundage or do I have to go higher? I want to do 18 to 30mtrs and it will be mainly 18mtrs. due to space constraints .
I would be pleased to have any advice

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hi, I'm sorry you haven't had any answers so far but with my limited experience I'll tell you what works for me.
I have a 66" Border Griffon. I have a 29" draw length on a recurve which is right on the limit, I reckon, but as I shoot it instinctive I don't think I get it right back that for, more like 28 1/4". It is about 40lbs on my fingers and my target bow is 45Lbs. I have no bother reaching 50m+. Border would recommend 70" for your draw length and their bows are exceptionally forgiving as they don't use any glassfibre.
So, in your position, I would see if I could try a 69" Samick, and see how it feels and if you do still draw your full target length.
As to arrows, I shoot carbons off my flatbow because that is what I have lying around, and I only shoot it at home. I would try the arrows you currently have and see how they go. I found it took a while to get used to the idea and settle in and until then anything would do until I decided to tune the bow a little.
I know it isn't a great deal of help, but might give you some ideas to bat around.

gasman

Sounds like I like a plan thanks.
I am a bit concerned/worried about the draw length, do'nt want to breack the thing.

bigousdicous

The few flat bows I've shot have not stacked at my 31" draw I wouldn't worry about breaking them I would suggest you go and try one out before buying

Howi

After having 70 odd reads of my question and having no responses I am thinking my question is in the wrong place, so here goes, I'll try again in another category, i'm sure someone out there can help.
At present I shoot target recurve, 70",with 30lbs limbs, aprox.giving 40lbs or so on the fingers draw length 31 1/2".and would like to try Flatbow,What would I need to get started; size, draw weight, type of string, etc.
Would I be able to use my old Eclips X7's 2212 and plat plus'2016 which have feathers on,?
One reason for trying Flatbow is to cut down on all the time spent fiddling about setting up my recurve and taking it down after short while. I feel it could probably be more satisfying after reading what other archers have written.
I am looking at the Samick Flatbow which seems to be 69" and will come within budget,or would I need a longer one? and what about the draw weight ? do I go for the same limb poundage or do I have to go higher? I want to do 18 to 30mtrs and it will be mainly 18mtrs. due to space constraints .
I would be pleased to have any advice
Why dismantle the bow every time? I left mine permanently strung, only had to put on long rod and side bars to shoot.
What advantage would a flat bow give you?
Unless you have been shooting recurve for a number of years and thereby establish your shooting form, i doubt you would find flatbow more satisfying.
My opinion ( and please don't take this the wrong way) is you are looking for an easy option.
Shooting ANY form of bow takes time (a lot) and dedication, despite what others may tell you, there is NO easy route to good scores.
Anyone can shoot a bow, not everyone can shoot one well.
If you have been shooting long enough, you should be able to answer your own questions regarding what arrows to use, what poundage to get etc which makes me suspect you haven't been shooting long (feel free to correct me if I have made the wrong assumption)
Please try not to take offence at what I have said, I am trying to be constructive.

gasman

Howi thanks for your repy, however I feel you have missed the point of my original post.
I am not looking for "an easy option", I have no intension of changing to flatbow and giving up recurve, I have spent a lot of time to get my recurve setups good for me and enjoy shooting them.

I gave the details of my recurve set up to see if I could get advice on comparable details relavent to flatbow as it is something I have wanted to do for a long while.and hopefully draw on the wealth of experience of the forum to advise.

Here in Spain I travel to my club a round trip of 100kms to shoot about twice a week on average so I don't get to spend to much time shooting, especially after setting up my bow, warm up,etc. So the option of arriving ,stringing a bow warm up then shoot is appealing, same for taking down and leaving. At present we have 40deg C here and have had for the past 9 weeks so not much happens befor 6pm so you can apriciate the problem.

As to leaving my bow strung, for me that is not an option. If I was to be stopped on the road by the Guardia Civil here in Spain ,radar traps and spot checks are frecuent in our area ,I would be in trouble they don't' like people with an arm clssed here as military on view in the back of your car, how do you hide a 70" strung bow in the back of a swb. Land Rover county. It would be bad enough with a flat bow but unstung handly noticable.

So thanks for the help ,enjoy the rain we are desperate for some wev'e had none since 1week in may.

M

Moose

You could leave the limbs on and the string (unstrung) put quick release mountings on for your longrod and then put it all in a flambeau longbow case (hard plastic) it should fit in there

I think the flambeau case is also sold as a fishing rod case you can get about 4 to 6 longbows in one so a recurve shut fit, I would try for you but my wife's recurve is a Hoyt helix and that fits in nothing unless it is large and fat

Courtesy of iMoose

gasman

We are on one of the main drug routes into Spain from Portugal, hence the spot checks, The guardia would love to see one of those moose. I'd never get to the club to shoot

greysides

I think these folks are down your way Gasman.

Arcos Iba?ez

I'd like to talk to a bowyer if I were getting a flatbow. Grip preference will be important to the comfort of a riser and may affect tillering too. Both of those could be chosen to suit.

Some can be prone to hand-shock so I'd like to try a bow before I bought. Weight is another feature than you may have a preference for.

Due to the wooden construction they tend not to be cut past centre so spine requirements for poundage are different....weaker.

Many are shot off the shelf rather than using an elevated rest and some may not have bushings for plungers/clickers/sights/longrods.
If you intend to compete in field competitions you would need to be cognisant of the rules of the organising bodies. (And if you don't ..... you really should look into it.)

Some of the custom ones are real works of art too. :)

Berny

Dunno if you've got your answer yet but here's my tuppence-worth:
- arrows & stuff: they may work ...depends what bow you get, I shoot all kinds of stuff off my flatbows
- flatbows: I've got 2 reflex-deflex: a 69" SLB #50, but prefer my 68" Internature Viper DLX #55 & use this mostly.
- & i've got 1 trad. (straight limbed before bracing) - a 70" Howard Hill Wesley Special #65
- I'm hankering after a Border Griffon - still saving though
although for serious stuff 2d/3d field I shoot tonkin bamboos, spined at #10 over bow weight.
The boos in general are heavier than anything else I've tried (spruce, cedar, maple, ash & lately pine) & good
for absorbing any handshock that might be evident with lighter shafts esp. the SLB.
Also just made a new set of pine arrows (won the shafts in a raffle) , spined #60/65 they shoot real good with the Viper DLX.
I also shoot a set of Gamegetter 340's - these for when working on technique i.e. minimising inconsistencies present in boos/woods
& these work really well with the Viper DLX.
Without starting a debate over the meaning - I'm an instinctive shooter - i don't barrel, gap, point-of-aim - I look at target
with both eyes open....I've learned to hit (or miss) with a variety of gear.

gasman

Greysides thanks I will try Iba?ez

Don't plan on competing, just want to have some simple fun,

Been in touch with Falco and they have explained the pros and cons of what I need, sound like poeple who know what they'r doing.

Yesterday I had the chance to try a Samick 64" 30lbs and another make I can't remember the name of 64" 45lbs .think it was a Kingfisher,Both A bit short for me but good for a try, the Samick at 30lbs felt sloppy by comparison to my recurve,the Kingfisher at 45lbs was awesome, my main cocern now is the draw length, with the Kingfisher I didn't pull anything like the 32" I pull with my recurve but what power.

So that would bare out what you say, I think due to the reduced draw length I need go up 5 to 10lbs to 35 or 40lbs what do you think?.

One thing Is certain te sensation of an arrow loosing from that flat bow was different to my recurve.

greysides

If you are planning on continuing to shoot your recurve I think you should stick to a similar draw weight. The bowyer should be able to make a longbow to your DL if you go that route. Falco have a good reputation and I think their bows are fast too. I would imagine speed won't be in the same league as your recurve. It's also kinda 'traditional' to use wooden arrows too but that's not a rule. Hard to get/make a dozen wooden arrows of matching weight and spine. To avoid string pinch you're going to need a longish bow. Flat bows tend to have a hunting use so they tend to be heavy and short but there's no reason for it to be too heavy or too short for you. I think you'll have more fun out of a bow you can draw easily.In terms of 'fun' you really should look into field competitions, either FITA or IFAA. There where the flat bow has it's fun. Very different to target shooting, less pressure and more of a walk in the woods with some friends. Very relaxing if you don't take it seriously.

Are you planning to stick with an under the chin anchor or side of face? The higher up, the lower the PO distance, the longer the arrow the lower the PO distance, the heavier the arrow the lower the PO distance. A three under hold will also yield a lower PO distance. You can use forefinger tip in corner of mouth or middle finger in corner of mouth... all down to what feels best.

I think you will find some similarities to recurve shooting but there are also differences.

BorderBows

flatbows generally drop your draw length due to a broken wrist opposed to straight wrist.
greysides... id pitch our flatbows against most target bows speed wise.

Having seen a Reiver that a friend has here in Brittany I can believe the claim of the speed BorderBows. Goes like a missile for a flatbow. Seriously comtemplating getting one of your bows after seeing his bow in action.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Having seen a Reiver that a friend has here in Brittany I can believe the claim of the speed BorderBows. Goes like a missile for a flatbow.
Erm........ a Reiver isn't a flatbow - it's a recurve. Don't want to seem a pedant but given the subject of the thread it could cause confusion.

Aside from the pedantry, I have a Reiver and I agree it's great.

Erm........ a Reiver isn't a flatbow - it's a recurve. Don't want to seem a pedant but given the subject of the thread it could cause confusion.

Aside from the pedantry, I have a Reiver and I agree it's great.
New to archery. Only really know the french terms I get confused(French call them flatbows). One piece, flat limbs you can see my confusion. :p