Recurve V-Bar - which one??

sevenfightclub

I don't quite know where to start when getting a v-bar.

35 degrees? 40? What would make one choose a 35 over a 40? My coach told me not to go for 45 so I guess I will eliminate that.

Which v-bar is good? W&W carbon (my favourite archer uses this apparently but the older model :D)? Shibuya also has a new one that's the "lightest in the market".

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

urbin

I got an adjustable one. I can't remember exactly what angle I ended up setting it at but it solved the problem of having to decide :)

It's nice being able to try it in a few different configurations and seeing what feels best. There's no right or wrong answer.

Badgers Dad

It depends where you need to balance the bow, it all down personal preference and what feels right for you. But ultimately your after a nice balance to the bow, there are no hard a fast rules to stabilisation but there are calcs available to give you a rough guide, personally I use a 45-0 on a carbon riser, but I also use a 35-17 on an Ali one.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Yes... But you should always be aware that an adjustable bar needs a little more maintenance than a fixed one. Neglect it and you may find that it will unexpectedly become a partial swing bar, in mid-shoot. Disconcerting to say the least...

Easily Confused

Yes... But you should always be aware that an adjustable bar needs a little more maintenance than a fixed one. Neglect it and you may find that it will unexpectedly become a partial swing bar, in mid-shoot. Disconcerting to say the least...
Though like many things, this depends on the quality of the adjustable v-bar. I would have agreed for sure with my old Cartel one but the Speciality one I've upgraded to has been superb. I just adjust it, tighten it and forget about it.

Basilios

are v bars interchangeable? I only use an easton long rod right now but i want to get the v bars soon. would i have to use the easton v bar mount or could i get anyone?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Though like many things, this depends on the quality of the adjustable v-bar. I would have agreed for sure with my old Cartel one but the Speciality one I've upgraded to has been superb. I just adjust it, tighten it and forget about it.
Surely it does... I've had just three bars over a 25 year period. The old Hoyt dogbone had been consigned to the spares box, after a few years. The generic adjustable thing I followed it with actually snapped after a year or so. The J-bar on the other hand is still going strong...

sevenfightclub

Why stay away from 45, a lot of top archers use it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I think he said two main points (forgive my fuzzy memory) - that 1. my grip is good (?) 2. The 45 suits bigger sized people. I don't really know what that means in terms of the degrees but just repeating what was told to me to the best of my recollection.

Aleatorian

I don't quite understand what grip has to do with V-bar angle, and 45 degree suiting "bigger people". What does that even mean?

Bigger as in height, weight or draw length?

Cos I'm 5'11", slim build and 30.5" draw length and use a 45-0 setup at the moment which for me is working great.
Originally had a 35 degree V-bar but kept hitting myself with the left side rod due to the roll of the bow, I find the 45 degree holds steadier.

sevenfightclub

I don't quite understand what grip has to do with V-bar angle, and 45 degree suiting "bigger people". What does that even mean?

Bigger as in height, weight or draw length?

Cos I'm 5'11", slim build and 30.5" draw length and use a 45-0 setup at the moment which for me is working great.
Originally had a 35 degree V-bar but kept hitting myself with the left side rod due to the roll of the bow, I find the 45 degree holds steadier.
Yeah I didn't quite understand myself.

Bigger as in physical built of the archer.

Aleatorian

Still can't figure where build would come into it, like I said i'm slim built.
Personally, I bought one of the adjustable Cartel v-bars, and it felt better at 45 degrees as opposed to the 35 it was originally. Did try 40 degree but didn't have the same effect.

Honestly, I think your coach is spouting rubbish about grip, build, etc, stabilisation is a personal preference thing, so I wouldn't rule anything out on anyone's opinions. There have been a few times that I've challenged my coaches opinion and then just tried it and it's worked better, in the end it's help further my understanding and my coaches.

Vagabond

I don't quite know where to start when getting a v-bar.
35 degrees? 40? What would make one choose a 35 over a 40? My coach told me not to go for 45 so I guess I will eliminate that.
Which v-bar is good? W&W carbon (my favourite archer uses this apparently but the older model )? Shibuya also has a new one that's the "lightest in the market".
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Hi SevenFightClub,

Not sure if you mean: the 2 rods or the V-bar mounting blocks (or both)? So I'll try and answer a bit of both from my direct experience.

Mounting block: I tested 2 of the 45-degree mounting blocks:
(1) 45-degree solid, flat angle (Cartel Quicks QR57).
(2) 45-degree solid, 17-degree down-angle (cheapest I could find).

Conclusion: no difference in scores between them, but prefer the 17-degree down-angle more comfortable...doesn't get in the way when I'm nocking the arrows, etc.

Rods: Also tested economy Cartel rods against expensive Easton ACE rods (long-rod, short extender & 2 v-rods).
Conclusion:
  • No difference at indoor ranges.
  • Easton ACE noticeably better at 70m & above.

My scores were also slightly higher without the short extender, i.e. the 45-degree mounting block fixed directly to the riser. But you need to experiment carefully with this configuration.

Overall conclusion (IMHO):
(1) Differences only appear at Master Bowman & above.
(2) Differences only noticeable at longer distances.
(3) Experimenting with optimising balance & dynamics with weights & dampers is much more significant :thumbsup:.
(4) Sorry: but much trial-and-error experience required.

To put this into context: here's what I've shot with above configuration:
  • Personal best FITA-70 is 538
  • Personal best Portsmouth is 589

There are plenty of UK archers that shoot better than me (at least 50, minimum!), so take their advice in preference to mine!

If anybody gives you advice then ask them for hard evidence :frying: e.g. from someone who's done some controlled testing and recorded the results...with equipment similar to yours. But plan-A is always to do the testing yourself. E.g. why buy the lightest v-bar on the market and then pay to add weights to the ends of the rod? Or then adding extra weights to the riser (e.g. my Win&Win Inno CXT riser)?

V

sevenfightclub

Hi SevenFightClub,

Not sure if you mean: the 2 rods or the V-bar mounting blocks (or both)? So I'll try and answer a bit of both from my direct experience.

Mounting block: I tested 2 of the 45-degree mounting blocks:
(1) 45-degree solid, flat angle (Cartel Quicks QR57).
(2) 45-degree solid, 17-degree down-angle (cheapest I could find).

Conclusion: no difference in scores between them, but prefer the 17-degree down-angle more comfortable...doesn't get in the way when I'm nocking the arrows, etc.

Rods: Also tested economy Cartel rods against expensive Easton ACE rods (long-rod, short extender & 2 v-rods).
Conclusion:
  • No difference at indoor ranges.
  • Easton ACE noticeably better at 70m & above.

My scores were also slightly higher without the short extender, i.e. the 45-degree mounting block fixed directly to the riser. But you need to experiment carefully with this configuration.

Overall conclusion (IMHO):
(1) Differences only appear at Master Bowman & above.
(2) Differences only noticeable at longer distances.
(3) Experimenting with optimising balance & dynamics with weights & dampers is much more significant :thumbsup:.
(4) Sorry: but much trial-and-error experience required.

To put this into context: here's what I've shot with above configuration:
  • Personal best FITA-70 is 538
  • Personal best Portsmouth is 589

There are plenty of UK archers that shoot better than me (at least 50, minimum!), so take their advice in preference to mine!

If anybody gives you advice then ask them for hard evidence :frying: e.g. from someone who's done some controlled testing and recorded the results...with equipment similar to yours. But plan-A is always to do the testing yourself. E.g. why buy the lightest v-bar on the market and then pay to add weights to the ends of the rod? Or then adding extra weights to the riser (e.g. my Win&Win Inno CXT riser)?

V
Thanks!

My coach was referring to the angle of the v-bar thus affecting the side rods. I agree - takes trial and error/ experience to figure out what works for the individual.

You use an Inno CXT? Same riser as mine. Have you tried the Inno Max?

Vagabond

. . .You use an Inno CXT? Same riser as mine. Have you tried the Inno Max?
Not tried the Max and not talked to anybody (yet) who's gone from the CXT to the Max & hence could compare. However, I've talked to a few archers who've gone from other risers to the Max and they were all very happy with the move.

Good luck with the v-bars, etc.

V