Rules regarding recurve sight pins when shooting a Worcester round

hot-shooter84

Hi just wondered if anyone else can clarify if I'm setting myself up for problems at competition? I shot a Worcester the other night, and although I was pretty happy with my scores I felt my black Shibuya sight pin was next to useless, so I figured what if I got a cheap plastic cartel sight pin, cut the dot out the centre and paint the ring part white? I know there are rules about having magnified sights on a recurve but I've never heard of there being a problem with colours, anyone else have anything to add? or have I just realised a great sound solution that will help when shooting Worcesters? Does anyone else do this too?

RichParker

I don't think colour matters Beiter do sight pin apertures in a variety of fluorescent colours and the sight tunnel they go in is available in white so I would assume these are all within the rules.
I use a Titan sight pin which has silver a silver housing and never had a problem with equipment inspection for FITA.

ThomVis

Rulebook said:
11.1.5. A bow sight is permitted, but at no time may more than one such device be used.
11.1.5.1. It shall not incorporate a prism, lens, or any other magnifying device, levelling, electric or electronic devices nor shall it provide for more than one sighting point.
11.1.5.2. The overall length of the sighting circle or point (tunnel, tube, sighting pin or other corresponding extended component) shall not exceed 2cm in the line of vision of the athlete.
11.1.5.3. A sight may be attached to the bow for the purpose of aiming and which may allow for windage adjustment as well as an elevation setting. It is subject to the following provisions:
- A bow sight extension is permitted;
- A plate or tape with distance marking may be mounted on the sight as a guide for marking, but shall not in any way offer any additional aid;
- The sight point may be a fibre optic sight pin. The total length of the fibre optic pin may exceed 2cm, provided that one end is attached outside the athlete?s line of vision at full draw, while the part within the athlete?s line of vision does not exceed 2cm in a straight line before bending. It can only provide one illuminated aiming spot at full draw. The fibre optic pin is measured independently of the tunnel.
No mention of color, so go right ahead.

Mark31121

Ironman
I've never found having a black sight pin to be a problem, but I get what you mean.

Rather than getting a new pin and painting it how about sticking a small section of an address label or something on the one you have to try it out - or just paint one side and leave the other one black and just twist it round depending on whatever face you use (and adjust windage if required)

hot-shooter84

I've got a Titan sight pin but I do find it's a bit dingy indoors, I have also got a gehmann iris sight but the last one I had snapped off during a Double FITA 70 and since then I just haven't gone back to using them. I do like to use my iris sight pins more than any other type, but it did shake my confidence using them in competition when my last one snapped. Luckily I switched it over in time and despite the mishap I managed salvage my nerves and pulled off 1st place, but it was edge of your seat stuff and it left me feeling quite stressed and anxious for the rest of the shoot.

Well I'll give it a go with the white sight and see what happens, it'll either work better or it won't I guess, and I'll keep people posted. I'm off to Tidworth the weekend after next for the Dorset and Wilts Salisbury indoor championships so we shall see!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk