Score to weight ratio

urbin

No.

Compound uses a slightly different balance of muscles. "Putting on weight" by itself won't help. Strengthening your muscles may help, but first just work on technique. If you have a coach they will be able to advise, and if you find yourself with muscle pain then a physio can also recommend some exercises.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
As urbin said. Drawing a compound is more to do with technique than strength, if that what you mean by "putting on weight". I'm not sure if body mass will give you any more stability. I started shooting at 10.5 stone and I'm now 14 stone and it has not made any difference:) You will want to select a peak weight that does not cause you injuries though. That said, the 'cam profile' is a significant factor when trying to draw a compound. Probably best not to go with something too aggressive.

AndyW

I would start off with a compound with a soft cam design and a lot of adjustment wrt draw length and holding weight, that way you won't blow money on the wrong cam and you can work up the poundage. When you've shot for a year or so you will then be more informed should you wish to swap bows. There are some very good adjustable bows out there.
Putting on weight won't do a thing apart from make you stand differently to avoid your tummy ( watch me shoot if you need an example ). P.S. if you've never drawn a compound or let one down from full draw get someone to show you, don't try it for the first time on your shiny new bow you've just spent hundreds of pounds on.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
as a larger fellow, I would point out it takes a lot more wind to blow me over than it would a skinny chap. This isn't a belly, it's a wind stabilization system!! ;-)

AndyW

bimble, the sacrifices we make for archery eh! At least with increasing age we don't have to put as much time in down the pub to maintain the larger figure.

munsterman - naughty, the waif like 2012 men's olympic champion being an example of a prime recurve specimen presumably?

Ed_P

I too found the same issue and have been working on increasing my overall body strength and must admit that I have noticed improvements recently.

Frenchy

Exactly Munsterman. So extra body weight does give advantages in both recurve and compound. How much weight should I put on. I am 11 st 3 lbs?? I realise that some are taking this post light-heartedly as is OK but it is a serious question.

Ar-Pe-Lo

Exactly Munsterman. So extra body weight does give advantages in both recurve and compound. How much weight should I put on. I am 11 st 3 lbs?? I realise that some are taking this post light-heartedly as is OK but it is a serious question.
Please have a look at 3x world champion Rick McKinney or only double individual gold medallist Darrel Pace - you do not need any extra weight for big scores.

urbin

Forget about your weight and work on strength (and cardio). Your weight will be what ever it will be.

Putting on weight, which may well be fat, may do more damage to your overall health.

No one here can tell you what your weight should be, even if we know your height. BMI is only a rough estimate. If you're that committed, start with a personal trainer or someone else who can accurately determine your body composition and give you some personalised advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Munsterman

Seriously, your weight has nothing to do with it. If you want to work on something then let it be your core strength and technique.

jerryRTD

Core strength and form are what you needto work on. Don't set targets for weight or you may justput on fat.

Frenchy

I have shot recurve to a reasonable standard (1248 Fita) reached my peak. I am prepared to give compound my best ever shot so if increased weight
can add points then I am prepared to give it a go. Is the advice a yes or no. Not on health issues purely on scores. many thanks

blakey

I have shot recurve to a reasonable standard (1248 Fita) reached my peak. I am prepared to give compound my best ever shot so if increased weight
can add points then I am prepared to give it a go. Is the advice a yes or no. Not on health issues purely on scores. many thanks
The best lady compound shooter in our club is a slightly built petite lass. She regularly shoots 1400 in practice. None of our men, fat, skinny, shirt or tall can do this. One of our best Men Compounders is slightly built. He is now a Veteran+ and still setting national records in his division. So in my experience it's a no. :) In any case if I wanted to put on weight I would consider the health aspect. Muscle is good if it's in the right places? Cheers :)

Frenchy

It must be a fact that having shot a 48lbs recurve for many years has developed and would give me muscles far in excess
of what is required in compound. Would it help to add 30lbs in body weight to give me a more solid base to shoot from. Has
anyone done the science on this. It would be good if we could. ideas??

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
How does this sound? Hang weights from your belt and see if it adds to your stability when shooting . And see if the scores improve to match.
We add weights to stabilisers and most agree it helps, so long as the weight is not too much for the bow arm to manage.

Frenchy

If that works, would it be legal in competition. Almost like tethering yourself down without the tether.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
My thinking is this. If you added weight by eating alone, just to add weight, you would find out if more weight made you more stable. That would be legal, yes?
If you carried lots of loose change in your pockets or a money belt, could that be banned? If instead of money in a belt you wore medals, or a belt with studs all over it..... yes?
So, just for an experiment, try the weights and see what happens. If it doesn't help... at least you know not to bother getting heavier just for ballast sake.
Whether or not getting stronger helps, would be difficult to prove, if it adds weight at the same time. Is it the strength or the mass?
I have read about archers wearing heavy wrist bands( lead weights inside?) in order to mimic having stabiliser weights. It probably helped build up shoulder strength ,too.
It's just a way that might help find out the effects without having to wait/weight?