Size of Gold on Portsmouth Target?

Microphonic

Could someone possibly tell me the size of the whole gold on a 60cm Portsmouth target? I want to knock some up on the computer whilst I'm waiting for the 'proper' targets to be delivered.

Ta!!!

roytherecurve

For us in the 21st century, the Ten ring is 60mm in diameter (2.36Inch) (compound ring 30mm) and the Nine ring is 120mm in diameter (4.72Inch).

They are metric faces after all....

bolerus

this seems a reasonable place for a question i have been trying to word. sooo here goes

at the club we are shooting 60cm portsmouth faces at ( is it 25 yards ) at home i have space to shoot from 50ft and am shooting 40cm targets....

( I am an almost total beginner - PB at club indoor is only 455)

so, what would be the converstion. in other words, if at home I am hitting the first ring of red, on the 40cm( but a few yards closer) , would that be equivillent of outer gold on 60cm... if you get what i mean.

grimsby archer

this seems a reasonable place for a question i have been trying to word. sooo here goes

at the club we are shooting 60cm portsmouth faces at ( is it 25 yards ) at home i have space to shoot from 50ft and am shooting 40cm targets....

so, what would be the converstion. in other words, if at home I am hitting the first ring of red, on the 40cm( but a few yards closer) , would that be equivillent of outer gold on 60cm... if you get what i mean.
First, read all the postings (there must be thousands) on this site about shooting at home, and then wait out the storm of otherwise helpful postings advising you against it, unless you own 5 acres

Rik

Supporter
Supporter

Dealing purely with the sizes/distances :)
The distance is 50ft instead of 60 (20 yards), so the ratio is 6/5.... So from a pure perception of size point of view, a 40cm face at 50ft is similar to 6*40/5 at 20 yards, or a 48cm face.

So the red would be 4*4.8 cm across - about 19cm...
So slightly wider than the inner red on a 60cm face.

Big Tony

I shot at home over 20 meters, I was buying 40cm target faces and the 3 small vertical ones. After awhile I stopped shooting at targets as I would get to the club and shoot over larger distances and get frustrated as my grouping was not as good as home. I know it's all a mental thing. Just working on form at home has worked wonders for me. That's my 2c worth

bolerus

Dealing purely with the sizes/distances :)
The distance is 50ft instead of 60 (20 yards), so the ratio is 6/5.... So from a pure perception of size point of view, a 40cm face at 50ft is similar to 6*40/5 at 20 yards, or a 48cm face.

So the red would be 4*4.8 cm across - about 19cm...
So slightly wider than the inner red on a 60cm face.
ah ok, so if i am reading that correctly, pretty much the same ratio as the club indoor range?

- - - Updated - - -

First, read all the postings (there must be thousands) on this site about shooting at home, and then wait out the storm of otherwise helpful postings advising you against it, unless you own 5 acres
just for reference, already done that and built a safe range at home, with some changes from my original design based on what a few people had pointed out. this question was just about target sizes