The sweetest smile?

ianB

The videos are on YouTube. A timely moment to bend over. Let me know what you think.

Ian bayley

Valkamai

It didn't appear that way to me, no.
You would think that archers at that level would be able to keep focus on their own shots with much more distraction than that anyway.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Mormegil

If you think an archer can make it to that level and get distracted by their opponent stretching their back during a match then I have a bridge to sell you.

There are two possibilities - she wasn't distracted and just shot an 8. She was beaten fairly. Or she was distracted in which case it's a good thing a squirrel didn't run past because presumably she would have chased it since you're assuming she has the attention span of a labrador instead of a world champion archer. In which case she was also beaten fairly.

Zombie_Feynman

The announcers at those events usually talk while the archers are at full draw. Usually about them. If they are not distracted by that, I very much doubt that they would be distracted by the other archer moving.

Also, they are shooting pretty far away from each other. I bet Valencia was focusing on the target and didn't even notice the movement.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Having been sat in the front row at Lords for most of the Olympic matches in 2012, I can tell you the movement and noise is enormous and continuous but changing. I was surprised by the whirr of the cameras in the "dugouts", which was actually louder at the competitors level than the commentary or their own coaches' shouting. People are moving around both on the fop and quite close in the stands.
A top level archer clearly is able, most probably trained, to zone out an enormous level of distraction.

Mark31121

Ironman
Really?!?

The crowd all around them, cameras moving and an electronic banner zipping around and you think that someone ten feet away and barely moving a few seconds (which is a long time) before the shot is a distraction?

ianB

Dear Mr. Mark31121
I agree, the noise of the crowd, cameras moving, banners zipping. All things that happen in normal competition. The only abnormal movement was a competitor bending over to stretch her muscles.

ian bayley

Really?!?

The crowd all around them, cameras moving and an electronic banner zipping around and you think that someone ten feet away and barely moving a few seconds (which is a long time) before the shot is a distraction?[/QUOTE]

eljetico

Supporter
Supporter
Dear Mr. Mark31121
I agree, the noise of the crowd, cameras moving, banners zipping. All things that happen in normal competition. The only abnormal movement was a competitor bending over to stretch her muscles.

ian bayley
Or to look at it another way - the stretch is nothing like abnormal: archers stretch (rub, scratch) all kinds of things on the line. Ki Bo Bae did the same thing in the final, standing behind Perova. Neither she nor the Mexican archer were remotely aware or bothered by it.

All that great archery and you find a nonsense to 'complain' about (and title the thread 'the sweetest smile'...urgh).

Zombie_Feynman

We tolerate this kind of thing, and soon they are going to make several archers shoot simultaneously at the same target and no one will be able to concentrate again. Just wait...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The problem isn't that the one at the back is distracted by the archer in front of them.
The one at the front is under more pressure wondering if their bum looks big in these trousers.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The problem isn't that the one at the back is distracted by the archer in front of them.
The one at the front is under more pressure wondering if their bum looks big in these trousers.

ianB

Hello Mr.
Maybe it is me that can only see fair play. Better that than all the gushyness I read by some members on this forum.

Ian Bayley.

PS no one prepared to 'come out' yet?