Target Archery: Is Flatbow = Barebow?

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
I realise this is probably opening a can of worms (and apologies for posting it here instead of the "Bowstyles" part of the forum), but... :stirthepo

...for the purposes of target archery (NOT Field!), and specifically in the context of the British Barebow (Indoor) Championships, would a Flatbow be considered to be a barebow? And if not, why not? :boggled:

I've read the GNAS/AGB RoS and Rules 202 & 204 seem to suggest that a Flatbow is a barebow. In addition, the page on the Scottish Archery website (here) states in more than one place that a flatbow is considered a Recurve Barebow for the purposes of target archery.

Mike

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
But American Flatbow is only recognised for Field and Flight, not a category in Target. Therefore, there's no reason why it should not to be classified as Recurve Barebow (outdoor + indoor).

Mick

Last edited:

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
OK, cheers for the responses so far....consensus thus far appears to be that for target a flatbow would be classed as barebow.

I'll leave this to run a bit longer to see if the consensus continues to develop/support that view.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Especially if it's FITA rules... A longbow is "barebow" under those...

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
But FITA only recognise: Recurve, Compound and the Standard Bow for Target Archery.

Mick