Temporary Handicaps

triplespot

I've seen a few references to the fact that if an archer doesn't have a handicap but wants to enter a handicap shoot, then a temporary handicap can be calculated from the first two or 3 dozen, and that can then be used to calculate the allowance to give them an adjusted score

e.g. (from Handicaps and scoring | Rayleigh Town Archery Club)
"Some archers may not have completed 3 qualifying rounds to achieve a handicap. In this instance, a temporary handicap can be worked out by using the first 2 dozen score of a 5 zone scoring round, or the first 3 dozen score of a 10 zone scoring round on a 122cm face using GNAS tables 13 & 14. This method cannot be used for handicap reduction, however."

That all sounds entirely sensible to me, but I'm struggling to find out if that's an official rule, or if it's just a practice that some clubs have adopted unofficially. I don't have a copy of the tables and the rules of the handicap scheme that go with them, so I can't check.

Anyone have any experience of doing this, or a current green-binder to check what the current rules say?

Thanks

fbirder

No, it's not official. The Rule book lists the tables giving handicap values and Tables 13 and 14 aren't included.

Mistake

Ironman
Perhaps it's just me being a bit of a snob about this, but in my mind there is almost zero excuse for not being able to get a handicap for a shoot, even if it's done on some little round that won't give you all that much of an accurate assessment of ability.

There are 4 dozen rounds outside and indoors if you're really pushed you've got the Bray 1, 30 arrows and you're done.

ben tarrow

Perhaps it's just me being a bit of a snob about this, but in my mind there is almost zero excuse for not being able to get a handicap for a shoot, even if it's done on some little round that won't give you all that much of an accurate assessment of ability.

There are 4 dozen rounds outside and indoors if you're really pushed you've got the Bray 1, 30 arrows and you're done.
I'm with you on this.
Shoot 3 short rounds or stop trying to sneak into handicap shoots.
Maybe its time for a specific rule, until you've scored 3 rounds, your not a proper archer!

ben tarrow

I'm with you on this.
Shoot 3 short rounds or stop trying to sneak into handicap shoots.
Maybe its time for a specific rule, until you've scored 3 rounds, your not a proper archer!

triplespot

I agree, not normally much of an excuse, but in this case there are a few very new beginners who are really keen to participate in an upcoming handicap shoot and haven't yet had a chance to shoot enough rounds due to horrific weather since they started. It would seem a shame for them to miss out, and this seems like a sensible way to demonstrate how inclusive and welcoming the sport of archery is, rather than leave them sat on the sidelines.

Berk

The last handicap shoot I participated in was a club shoot. I was using my longbow for the second time so I didn't have a handicap. I shot anyway and had good fun with the other archers.

Mistake

Ironman
I agree, not normally much of an excuse, but in this case there are a few very new beginners who are really keen to participate in an upcoming handicap shoot and haven't yet had a chance to shoot enough rounds due to horrific weather since they started. It would seem a shame for them to miss out, and this seems like a sensible way to demonstrate how inclusive and welcoming the sport of archery is, rather than leave them sat on the sidelines.
That's why I said "almost"

But again, perhaps it's just me being an #### (as I'm well aware I can be one) shoot in the bad weather and deal with it.

Unless it's *really* bad during a practise day (read I can't con someone into shooting with me), I'm out come wind, rain, snow, shine, cats and dogs, invasion of space faring cuttlefish because if I'm going to be shooting competitions I know I'll be expected to drink a hot cup of "suck it up cupcake" and get on with shooting

And again, a 4 dozen round takes hardly any time to shoot... like an hour if you stop to hold a minor committee meeting every end

ben tarrow

Just reread the original post and it says "using the first 2 dozen score of a 5 zone scoring round"
If it's the first of a round why not submit the whole round? It doesn't say you can just shoot 2 dozen. It says part of a round

fbirder

Just reread the original post and it says "using the first 2 dozen score of a 5 zone scoring round"
If it's the first of a round why not submit the whole round? It doesn't say you can just shoot 2 dozen. It says part of a round
I think that they mean -

If you're shooting a Windsor and you don't have a handicap then they'll take the score for the first 2 dozen (at 60 yards) to calculate the handicap and apply that handicap to the whole round.

If they used the whole round to calculate their handicap for that round it would be a bit pointless as their adjusted score (handicap + allowance) would be 1440.

The problem with using the first 2 dozen is that an unscrupulous archer could deliberately shoot the first 2 dozen terribly, then shoot very well to win the handicap competition. Yes, I know it sounds implausible - but I've seen similar.

We run a handicap competition that shoots monthly through the summer (May to October). Beginners rarely have shot enough rounds by May to gain a handicap - so we allow them to use rounds more suitable to gain a handicap. The most common is the Frostbite competition. Not officially allowed according to AGB - but we accept it because we believe the club should be run to maximise the pleasure of the members, preferably without a lot of pointless rules.