Two-way York

JOKer

Supporter
Ironman
Can anybody confirm whether a two-way York (or Hereford) is a recognised round for handicap and classification record purposes?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Only for longbows under the part 9 of the rules of shoot (which covers Traditional Longbow Target Archery) and is the only part of the Green Book that mentions two-way target rounds.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Is there anything stopping other bow types shooting a two way York? Though you'd have to make sure you have the over shoot of course. It's not really an advantage having to shoot three arrows go and collect then turn around and shoot the other way.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
other than it's not covered in the rules, other than in Section 9...?? I don't know if it's possible to get record status for a two way York any more!

BillM

Yorks are normally shot as 6 arrow ends - either 3+3 or 6 in 4 minutes. If the round is shot at a club you can make up your own rules provided that they follow the spirit of the Rules of Shooting. BL-BS shoots are normally 2-way and the round goes quickly. That allows a break for drinkies before doing a 2-way Western of whatever. I'm not with BL-BS but know some who are and attend their shoots regularly.

BillM

JOKer

Supporter
Ironman
Is there anything stopping other bow types shooting a two way York? Though you'd have to make sure you have the over shoot of course. It's not really an advantage having to shoot three arrows go and collect then turn around and shoot the other way.
I would say it is a disadvantage compared to shooting the same way each time so wouldn't expect the scores to be as high. Still it's nice to have one round just for the Longbows.
Thanks Bimble for pointing me in the direction of the correct rule:beer:

Furface

Supporter
I would say it is a disadvantage compared to shooting the same way each time so wouldn't expect the scores to be as high. ...
If nothing else, the wind comes from different directions, relatively. Easier to cope with with a longbow than with a compound

Furface

Supporter
Longbow arrows are in the air longer and higher than compound arrows, so are more susceptible to the wind. Or do you mean it's faster for a longbow to adjust to changes as there isn't a sight to mess with?
The latter, really. All that fussing about with windage settings