understanding targets... plz help!

kpjthomas

Lord almighty please help me understand all the different targets. Links, books....... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kelli 🎯

carl7

First above anything else, learn how to properly and accurately put that arrow where you want. Then you can hit the 10 of any target.
Forget the "Gucci" effect that archery has taken on.

Carl

kpjthomas

No. I mean literally learn the different types. I have a scoring program that allows me to use numbers or targets. We are currently working on her arrow flight and thus want to use the targets for scoring (where they land). In looking at all the different targets to chose from I found myself utterly confused!

Kelli 🎯

M

Moose

Read the GNAS rule book it explains how to score generally on any target type both indoor and outdoor and if there are any variations on a round they are spelled out.

It even takes you through the different types of archery and how they are scored it has all the rounds in and is reasonably clear for a Rule book

Moose on the loose

chuffalump

Are you talking about the scoring zones? Or the sizes?

The diagram above tells you the scoring zones. The different sizes of target depend on the rounds being shot. Just pay attention to the full face targets for now (as in the picture). Later on you can look at three spot or the reduced size versions.

Depending on what you think your daughters ability is, start on a 122cm face at whatever distance you fancy. If she gets most arrows in the gold then either increase the distance or reduce the target size to 80cm, then 60cm, then 40cm.

That's how I would do it anyway. Later on you can set up the distance and target size required by a proper round such as FITA-18 or Portsmouth and have a competition.
:D

Vagabond

Not sure I understand the question, so have to guess.
There are lots of different archery rounds that can be shot. You'll find them listed here:

GNAS Rules of shooting document. See this link:
http://www.saf.sd/pdf/Rules.pdf

Page 3-9 : GNAS Imperial Outdoor Rounds
Page 3-10 : GNAS Metric Outdoor Rounds
Page 3-11 : FITA Outdoor Rounds

Page 4-4 : Indoor Rounds

Does this help at all?

V

urbin

Forgive me for asking, but aren't you working with a qualified coach? Even a newbie coach should be familiar with the appropriate sized faces to use at various distances.

We use mostly 80cm faces at 5m increments between 10 and 30m for beginners (but we have an outdoor range).

M

Moose

If you joined a GNAS club or even direct as part if your first membership you should have been given a rule book.

This really is not a thing you should ignore especially if you want to go to competitions as there is nothing worse than getting stopped from shooting or losing points because you broke a rule through not reading the rules.

posted by moose on the loose

urbin

If you joined a GNAS club or even direct as part if your first membership you should have been given a rule book.

This really is not a thing you should ignore especially if you want to go to competitions as there is nothing worse than getting stopped from shooting or losing points because you broke a rule through not reading the rules.

I believe the OP is in the US :)

kpjthomas

Forgive me for asking, but aren't you working with a qualified coach? Even a newbie coach should be familiar with the appropriate sized faces to use at various distances.

We use mostly 80cm faces at 5m increments between 10 and 30m for beginners (but we have an outdoor range).
Yes, newbie. It is more for me. However we are both new to tournaments and since I have been given the task of finding them I wanted to familiarize myself with the different targets. Plus I am using an app for practice that just uses target names instead of Luca which makes it difficult for me to understand.

Kelli 🎯

kpjthomas

Exactly.

Kelli 🎯