Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Discuss Which X10s? at the Target Archery within Archery Interchange Forums; How did you get on?...
    It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    How did you get on?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Blue AIUK subscriber.
    Thanks
    Well... defo want to try X10s. So: (a) on the look out for a handful of 600 or 650 with sufficient length to trial. No luck on eBay or FB (Archery UK) so far - none right spine and rarely long enough. Keep looking; (b) trying to do a proper spine/tune test using my ACE tests sets on my 43# bow - to compare 670-620-570 at 30m or so (now I think of it, with 120grn points). Alas it's been a bit windy recently...
    Looks like (a) will be the barrier. Options: (1) buy a handful on eBay etc. - as above; (2) borrow a few - no one in our club has X10s let along right spine & length. Maybe someone on this forum... (as I lend my ACE sets occasionally); (3) buy 4 or 5 - I know it's possible to get individual ACEs from various shops, but do any do individual X10s? (4) "Jump" - get a full set based on ACE tests.....

Thanks
    Another option, if you are anywhere near Perris: take advantage of their arrow selection service. I think they charge but that's refunded off the cost of a set if you buy. They aren't the cheapest but they do have a good reputation.

Thanks
    Yes, I went to Perris a few years ago when doing this research prior to getting ACEs. Andrew Smith was v. helpful: good guy. I've just spoken w/Perris and they said "We don't have any X10s for our spine-testing service, we use ACCs. Then, having found roughly the right spine using the ACCs on you with your bow, we use the Easton chart to find the equivalent ACE or X10 [bearing in mind our test ACCs are over-length and have fixed point weight]".
    Now the thing is... (did I mention this?), when I was doing my ACE research, I bought 20 ACEs: 4 each of 520, 570, 620, 670, 720 - and cut them all to my length, then fitted them with pin nocks and screw-in inserts. I still have these. So the best thing now is probably to dust these off, and because I want to use 120grn tungstens change the inserts to 120grn ACE points (albeit more than the 100grn recc. max for these ACEs...), and see which ones work best on my 43# bow. Then use the Easton chart to find the equivalent X10s (e.g. if it's ACE 620 then it'll be X10 600).
    As you said earlier, this should be close enough for me to commit to a dozen X10s - and changing from pin nocks to Beiter Out-Nocks, and vanes from low profile Spinwings to XS Wings or Elivanes won't mean I have the wrong spine. I could also start an inch too long and trim back in 1/4" steps (gotta get an arrow saw..).
    BTW, in case you're interested in borrowing... I also have an arrow chronometer (a bit flakey...) and a W&W Bow Brace. All fun stuff...
    Timid Toad likes this.

Thanks
    Yes, definitely go with the ACEs. They'll be absolutely fine with 120gn. Just to warn you, I'm having difficulty getting the Outnocks I like, and they seem to be in the clearance department when I can. I'm not sure if they are about to be dropped from the range. So while you are playing, give the pins another go, just in case.
    I think spinwings are lighter and just as reliable as XS or Elivanes. I don't get on with either of these on my X10s, but of course others do!
    I've saved the cost of my arrowsaw several times over. I love it. Make sure you chrono outside in very bright sunlight. Indoor lighting can produce spurrious results. Something to do with 50hertz.

Thanks
    Yup... Just ordered arrow saw + de-burring tool + Better Outnocks. Getting there.....
    Re the chromo, I have the lights etc. for indoors but it's still flakey. Even more flakey when the little printer is plugged in....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast