GNAS Dress questions

Ghost Dog

Hi all.

Been a member of a Field club for the last year or so where dress codes haven't been an issue. Planning on attending a couple of Target shoots over the coming months in order to fill the gap when there aren't many field shoots on.

I already have my club t-shirt ready to go, but am stumped by the trousers. I was looking to pick up a pair of jogging trousers. These are mainly white, with a small logo on the thigh and a grey or black stripe down the sides of the legs. Would these be acceptable or would I not be allowed to shoot? I've tried searching for answers online and the only things I've come up with are that you aren't allowed to wear denim etc.

I've also asked around at my club but as it's primarily a field club nobody is really sure.

Our club is also registering black trousers as it's official shooting colours but this won't come into effect until October, so I'm looking for something to wear in the meantime.

Cheers
The Dog.

Whitehart

Depends on the status of the shoot

WRS status can be quite fussy depending on the judges but as long as they are mainly white.......:duck:

Or you could look at the bottle green Regatta trousers these are used by many archers easy to get and are shower resistant good for field archery as well.

However, speaking to a judge recently I asked how they are policing the club colours and they said as long as they are not wearing blue jeans we let it go. I am not spending all day chcking everyone against the register. With that in mind wear black or navy as most clubs have registered these :mischievo

Grepless

Supporter
Supporter
as WhitehartFB says Depending on the status - the higher the status the more "picky" it can get.

I've seen a lot of people wearing white jogging pants with thin stripes and small manufacturer's logos - no problem - that's been at club and county level shoots.

I think it really does depend on the judge on the day and the status - one of my fellow archers got told off for her trousers being too light green - they had changed colour in the artificial light - outside they looked exactly right !
A couple of weeks ago I was at a shoot that was really relaxed and fun and the judges there let a group of new (to competition) archers just shoot in jeans and polo's of other colours - no problem.

The Regatta trousers are really good btw.

cheers

Grep.

Joanna

To be honest it also really depends on the Judge(s). At one of the last shoots I was at (it did not specify 307 and it was not a record status shoot) the judge had a right go at one of my fellow club members that I was not in correct colours even though a lot of other people where not as well (and they had no complaints.) I would suggest caution and just have the correct colours on at all time. Why take a chance (and not be allowed to shoot) unless the shoot explicitly states the rule does not apply. From now on I will being going to all shoots in correct colours just to keep the peace and to ensure that no-one can stop me joining in.

Edit:

The rules are rather stupid with regards to dress code anyway, imho.

English Bowman

The rules are rather stupid with regards to dress code anyway, imho.
The rules aren't stupid, but some judges and club tournament officers are.
The rules state that colours should be worn at national and world record status shoots. It's entirely up to tournament officers and judges if they ask you to wear GNAS colours at any other tournament. (There are no regulations for colours at GNAS field shoots, as I'm sure that you already know)

Daniel

Joanna

The rules aren't stupid, but some judges and club tournament officers are.
The rules state that colours should be worn at national and world record status shoots. It's entirely up to tournament officers and judges if they ask you to wear GNAS colours at any other tournament. (There are no regulations for colours at GNAS field shoots, as I'm sure that you already know)

Daniel
Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

Araglin

Ironman
To be honest it also really depends on the Judge(s). .... I would suggest caution and just have the correct colours on at all time. Why take a chance (and not be allowed to shoot) unless the shoot explicitly states the rule does not apply.
Quite agree. You never know. I recall one indoor target shoot a few years ago where a junior wasn't allowed to shoot because his trousers were the wrong colour. Quite what good this did the sport I don't know. :thumbsdow

L

lee81070

It's a sport thing....club colours = team colours and the trousers are just another part of the "strip". Other individual event sports, such as snooker make their players adhere to a dress code, as do other sportsmen/women so why should Archery be any different? GNAS is obviously trying to keep a level of professionalism into the sport and that's not such a bad thing, is it? Can't say I like the Regatta trousers too much, as there's not much "give" in them around the thighs but luckily my club registered lower garment colours so I can go back to my trusty M&S comfort fit jeans :rotfl:

Bird_2112

I've always agreed with the dress regs. The club colour system is good but can make getting kitted out more expensive. You can get white decorators trousers for less than a tenner and although not a sharp, crisp style are perfectly legal. Add a white t shirt and you can be fitted out for indoors for ?12 or less.

G.

chryd

I've always agreed with the dress regs. The club colour system is good but can make getting kitted out more expensive. You can get white decorators trousers for less than a tenner and although not a sharp, crisp style are perfectly legal. Add a white t shirt and you can be fitted out for indoors for ?12 or less.

G.
Club colours are irrelevant to the cost, since they are not mandatory - you still have the option to wear GNAS colours, so no increase in cost. Of course, if we had no dress code at all, that would be cheaper still, since it would be zero cost (unless you happen to walk around all day with no clothes on :) ) :stirthepo

A

ArcheryPro

The GNAS dress code is poor at best.

I was at Nimes at the weekend and nobody seemed to have a problem with Simon Terry shooting in the final of the individual head to head in a pair of jeans.

Over here people would be running around sh***ing tiffany cufflinks moaning about it.

Its an archery competition, not a fashion parade.

not dead yet

Ironman
green and white is a british thing and i for one prefer green and white to club colours.

have seen people in uK at fita stars, get away with colours over the years.
it does depend on the judges at the end of the day.

but it is the judges choice, yellow card ,red card, green card. every judges top pocket.

although the judges are there for our benefit, they still should meet the criterias

its not as if they are getting paid ?25,000 per annum

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
This thread is becoming far too similar to previous ones moaning about the GNAS dress code...

Come on guys (and gals) - the rule's there, so we have to abide by it. And if you don't like it, rather than moaning about it, get out there and lobby AGB head office to get it changed...

Ghost Dog

Sorry, hadn't intended for this to turn into a dress code debate.

Thanks for the replies guys. :) :beer: :cake:

chalkie

I'm perfectly happy with green and white, but as a newby to archery (3 Months) I don't want to turn up at my first event (Y.A.A. Indoor in March ) and be told. "Those trousers are the wrong green, there's the door".

I've got plenty of white polo's and I've plumped for the regatta trousers, but as someone else commented there a bit snug in certain comfort zones :crowded:.

To quote 'The Saw Doctors"
"The tightest trousers come from Tuam, in Milltown they have no ballroom.":blush:

phillc

Getting back to the original question entry forms will have dress code requirements on it, most will quote the gnas dress code if in doubt ring the TO and check when you enter. Last year the judges seemed to be quite tight on dress code mentioning it at most shoots that I went to but if the logos and stripes where small they didn't seem to object.