Tops, boobtubes, vests.. after the dress code deregulation

FlightyRachel

Fonz Awardee
Ok, so I have returned, and found I don't have to scour the shops for white and bottle green anymore, (hoorah!) but can't shoot in 'drab' :)scratchchwhatever that is), camo or demin. So there goes my 3/4 length jeans plan... And I can't wear a strapless top.

I'm not too worried about tomorrow because my club is lovely and friendly and I'm sure no one will care that much, but for future reference, does that just mean no boob tube type tops? So I can wear a vest top? Because I remember a very glamorous lady archer telling me she'd been told off for wearing a top with 'too thin straps'.

And I thought this would make it all easier!

BigShot

Olive drab = military green.

I'm half inclined to rip up an old favourite (but unwearable) pair of jeans to use as a pattern, commandeer my girlfriend's sewing machine and knock up some non-denim jeans.
The rules say "blue denim" can't be worn (a stinker as I pretty much live in blue denim... waist down, that is... it's not the flippin 80's y'know!) but denim is a specific fabric. If I made a nice indigo blue pair of troos - replete with a handy "ticket pocket" to keep my pocket knife, double-stitched seams and so on - from a nice heavy hemp fabric... it'd be within the letter of the law - if not (silly) spirit.

Only half, though... because I'd rather not be refused shooting just to make a point. :p

As for straps and boob tubes...
Gotta cover the midriff which probably rules tubes out. Then there's "front and back" of the body. That bit probably depends whether or not you (or rather, they) consider the bit betwixt bosom and collarbone (and the equivalent on the back) as "body". Ditto the tops of the shoulders.

Quite frankly I think every guy should complain about the discriminatory nature of requiring men and not women to shoot in sleeves. I wouldn't be shooting in a vest, but I do find the rules a tad silly.

I would probably have a laugh with this one at some point though... "Footwear that fully encloses the toes and front of the foot..." need only be the uppers of a pair of loafers. No backs or soles mandated. :p

Munsterman

Quite frankly I think every guy should complain about the discriminatory nature of requiring men and not women to shoot in sleeves. I wouldn't be shooting in a vest, but I do find the rules a tad silly.
:p
So true! But rathe rthan allowing men to shoot in a vest they should get women to shoot in sleeves too (especially the bingo wing brigade):raspberry

BigShot

One of the few dress code rules I would welcome is one requiring all archers (possibly even all in attendance) to dress in such a way that they can bend to pick something up without showing their bicycle parking slot to the whole world.
That's the last thing I want to see when someone picks up a miss.

It's the sort of thing that could turn a couple of potential gold and red ends into blue and black ones!

FlightyRachel

Fonz Awardee
One of the few dress code rules I would welcome is one requiring all archers (possibly even all in attendance) to dress in such a way that they can bend to pick something up without showing their bicycle parking slot to the whole world.
That's the last thing I want to see when someone picks up a miss.

It's the sort of thing that could turn a couple of potential gold and red ends into blue and black ones!
Not guilty, honest! (Not saying anything about the dodgy arms though... ;) )

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I believe one of the phrases being used is *sport specific*, which rules out anything revealing, fashionable or covered in non-archery logos.

Besides with the crap weather we tend to get, it's all about staying dry and warm!

FlightyRachel

Fonz Awardee
Hello Clicki! Nice to see you! :)
Do you think it will all be down to judges' discretion then? I wouldn't shoot in a boob tube (need to keep something in reserve for when Brian invites me to his b&b;)) but on field shoots my trusty vest top (and I'm thinking fitted nice top, not white string vest lol) was my clothing of choice on hot days.

Rip T

The footware one I agree with - it's basically to prevent people getting arrows which are buried in the grass either stuck between toes or in the back of the heel. Those nocks are sharp and people just don't look.

The thin straps boob tubes etc I'm not so sure about - protecting decency of the old blokes on the line if something pops out I would assume.

Though the strain on some of the stringy tops is nearly as much as the strings on a compound some time so maybe they are trying to protect against that.

Rip

FlightyRachel

Fonz Awardee
I'd like to shoot in my gladiator sandals but I'm not allowed, so I have to wear horrible worker boots that set the metal detector off.
Never had an equipment failure with my top yet, probably don't achieve critical mass.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
FlightyRachel said:
Hello Clicki! Nice to see you! :)
Do you think it will all be down to judges' discretion then? I wouldn't shoot in a boob tube (need to keep something in reserve for when Brian invites me to his b&b;)) but on field shoots my trusty vest top (and I'm thinking fitted nice top, not white string vest lol) was my clothing of choice on hot days.
I'm not sure if field shoots come under the same rules, but a lot of the ladies on squad wear tops with cap sleeves or no sleeves (not strappy though), which I think would still keep you cool. I still wear club colours with black jeans or cargos and haven't had any issues. I still see a lot of people wearing whites, including white jeans.

BigShot

The footware one I agree with - it's basically to prevent people getting arrows which are buried in the grass either stuck between toes or in the back of the heel. Those nocks are sharp and people just don't look.
Don't get me wrong, I actually can appreciate the reasons for the footwear rules... though I'd add that those of us who like to go barefoot outdoors whenever we can get into a habit of looking where we walk VERY quickly.

Those arrows in heels can be a real problem though.
http://www.maicar.com/GML/000Images/pim/parisvillenave02143.jpg
;)

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Dress regs for GNAS field are brief:

504(n) Although there are no specific dress regulations in field archery, all competitors, field party and officials should wear bright visible colours. Footwear must enclose the feet and be worn at all times during the tournament.

So Rachel you can wear pretty much whatever you want at GNAS field shoots. I would add if you prefer to wear "skimpy" on our field course in the summer months the midges will be very appreciative ;) I would be delighted to have you visit us sometime and stay at our guest house. I have invited clicki a few times but she has not turned up yet :(

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
bkupris said:
I have invited clicki a few times but she has not turned up yet :(
I'm getting there in stages, Brian! I live closer to you now than I used to, so nearly there ;)

Angel

As a woman, I personally wear long sleeves, even on very hot days, when we get them. I now have my left hand and my face and neck brown. As I need to wear a glove to protect my fingers where I have lost the ends, I have my right hand white still. I actually find wearing a white long sleeved top to be cooler than haveing my arms burnt by the sun, but that is just personally.

Angela

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Target rules say:
Members of the Society shooting and officiating at tournaments granted UK or World
Record Status by GNAS are required to wear clothing that is appropriate, clean, in good
condition (ie not frayed or worn, either deliberately or by use) and conventional in style
and appearance. In particular:
(i) Tops or shirts must cover the front and back of the body (including the midriff
when at full draw), they must not be strapless and, for gentlemen, must include
sleeves.
(ii) Any colour garments may be worn with the exception of blue denim, olive drab
and camouflage pattern.
(iii) Badges, Logos and Wording.
a. Clothing manufacturers? trade marks are allowed. The wearer?s name is
allowed.
b. Individuals, and members of clubs and other archery organisations that are
commercially sponsored may wear sponsors? logos and names during the
sponsorship period only.
c. Other wording or badges on clothing must represent archery organisations.

So the young lady above can't shoot under GNAS rules for target.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Trunkles, thank God we have you on this forum to keep us straight ;)