Discuss Aluminium vs carbon at the Arrows & Components within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Hi guys, just wondering if carbon really are that much better than ally arrows? I ...
    In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Question Aluminium vs carbon

Hi guys,
    just wondering if carbon really are that much better than ally arrows? I shoot 1916 ally's and get on great with them but have tried acc's and didn't like them, are all carbon shafts so slim? If I changed to carbon I guess I'll have to alter my button as there a lot slimmer also they don't seem to have as good straightness as ally's. Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Dave
    just shoot some arrows

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    For indoor shooting it makes little difference; in fact, you really can't beat aluminium X7s for indoor shooting.

For outdoor arrows, carbon arrows (or carbon/aluminium, like ACCs, ACEs, X10s, etc) are generally lighter and therefore you have better sight marks, and because of flatter trajectory, arrows are less affected by side winds. Unless specifically designed for indoor shooting, most carbons are also thinner than aluminiums (the ACCs are actually quite "fat" for carbon arrows), meaning they are less affected by side winds.

Carbons can be just as straight as allys, but that depends on the quality of arrow. The advantage of course is they don't bend over time like allys do.

If you are a relatively inexperienced archer, ACCs or similar fairly inexpensive carbons (e.g. Carbon 1s) will stand you in good stead for at least a couple of years.

Yes, you will probably have to move your button out to get your centre-shot correct for carbon arrows, and also check that your rest is high enough so the button touches the middle of the shaft (i.e.if you have a stick-on rest, you may have to move it up slightly).

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Cheers Fanio that has helped, i think i shall get some acc's or carbon 1's for outdoor

Cheers
    Dave
    just shoot some arrows

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    The other thing I find with carbons is they tend to be far more responsive than aluminiums i.e. if the release isn't as good as it could have been (slight difference not plucked) then the carbons will let you know about it whereas allys can mask that quite well