Arrow Brands other than Easton???

Witty_Banter

Does anyone know of any worthwhile but inexpensive brands of arrows that are available, other than Easton? I've had a look at a couple of websites, and other than the cheap fibreglass options available via Amazon, there doesn't seem to be much out there. I know Easton are a good brand and they're not overly expensive (Jazz, Tribute etc), but I just wanted to know if there were other options out there...

There seems to be several brands to choose from in the USA, but unless you go down the custom built route, it looks like Easton has the monopoly on this side of the pond!

Stevec1960

I'm new here too so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention archery shops directly - but if you go to the site of 'King Arthur's mentor' you will find they also sell ready to use arrows by Gold Tip, Mybo and Bearpaw.

jonUK76

I think most decent arrows are custom built, for example the Easton Jazz and Tributes are supplied as parts, which the shop cuts to length and assembles. This way you'll get the best fit, but probably pay a bit more. Self assembly is also really straightforward with a fletching tool and some glue (most companies will cut shafts to length in the price).

But if it's factory assembled ones you're after (I'm also not sure of the rules regarding naming companies TBH) but a well known shop which deals in Sports of the Bow sells reasonably priced Beman, Win & Win, Easton, Avalon etc. ready mades in their "leisure arrows" section.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Avalon, Bearpaw, Carbon Tech, Carbon Express, Cartel, Easton, Fivics, Gold Tip, Mybow, Sky Art, Timber Creek all make arrows. Though Easton tends to be the only one that's stocked by nearly everyone, the others have a more limited availability

Aleatorian

Avalon's new offering look decent! Good spine range, though large diameter and light could result in a lot of drift on windy days.

People tend to gravitate towards Easton as a lot of clubs only allow A/C style shafts due to shared sports fields and the ease of finding them with a metal detector.

Depends what price range you are looking at

DarkMuppet

I've heard some very good reviews on the Avalon range too. Way better than they should be for the price.

I've shot with a few people using the Mybo range of arrows and they're pretty tidy. One model at least takes the ACE points and nocks (G nocks). Straightness is the same as everyone else's. You effectively get a set of cheaper Easton Carbon Ones. :D

I use a couple of sets of Gold Tip Traditionals when I go on field shoots. Pretty tough and don't break the bank.

AndyW

Firstly, what do you want the arrows for? A good all rounder, Target / Field / Both. Indoor / outdoor, mainly long distance / mid / short. Are you dead set on Allies or would you want carbon / combination? Is your overriding concern cost or something else such as best arrow for the price even if it is a little more. Ease of assembly/part availability. You will get a lot more for your money if you put them together yourself.

Witty_Banter

Firstly, what do you want the arrows for? A good all rounder, Target / Field / Both. Indoor / outdoor, mainly long distance / mid / short. Are you dead set on Allies or would you want carbon / combination? Is your overriding concern cost or something else such as best arrow for the price even if it is a little more. Ease of assembly/part availability. You will get a lot more for your money if you put them together yourself.
Thanks for the responses everyone.

WRT your questions above Andy, I was looking for a set of allys for outdoor shooting (so no rush, as the outdoor season's almost done). I've only got 1 set of arrows - a dozen Easton Inspire carbons, which are fine for most of my shooting requirements. As I'm still a novice, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on arrows I may quite easily destroy - I'd considered self-assembly, but don't have a fletching tool (probably a worthwhile investment though - anyone recommend one?). I only shoot indoor / outdoor target, and I've been using my carbons for everything - even clout shooting!

It was more the availability of brands that I was wondering about - there are a couple of major brands out there, but I was wondering whether there were any small UK manufacturers that were pushing out good quality, cheap product (would always prefer to buy British rather than get stuff shipped in from the EU).

AndyW

Allies - stick with Easton in my opinion. As your club allow all carbons ( you mention Inspire ) I would seriously consider a set of Powerflight shafts as for similar money to the made up Inspire you will be getting a higher spec. robust arrow. The cartel fletching tool is brilliant at about ?20 or the Sherwood jig. Even if you don't do the whole job yourself it will pay dividends in being able to replace the odd damaged vane.
UK supplier - Mybo / Merlin but I think they are just doing carbons.
Need any advice on putting the bits together there's plenty of videos on the web or ask on here and someone will be able to help.

fbirder

The thing that made me stick to Easton when beginning was that it just seemed so *&**&T^ difficult to find out anything about replacement nocks and points. Now Easton don't make that information incredibly easy to find, but it is out there. When I bought some W&W Challenge arrows I had no idea what sort of nocks I could use, let alone points.

AndyW

Too true. With my 3D lightspeeds they even epoxied the God awful inserts in so as you have to cook the epoxy to get the things out and put your wonderful GT nocks in. No more G nocks for me, awful things.

jonUK76

Mybo have one line of alloy arrows, Cadet's. I've no idea if they are actually UK made, but they're priced a little under entry level Easton's (Tribute etc.). They have one advantage in that they are bushed for press fit G nocks, rather than using the glue on type, while you need to move up to the Platinum range to get that with Easton. But Easton are tried and tested, and I think most archers using alloy arrows will be using them.

+1 vote for the Cartel fletching jig - you'll almost certainly lose some vanes at some point and they come in handy just for that.