Arrow Wraps

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Right, left, right, left...........
damn, forgot what I was going to say..........

ahha, remember now:

Arrow wraps. apart from the comercially available multi-coloured ones, what do your guys n gals use?
I want plain colours, to try with x-wings (ie nasty sticky tape, which I don't want all over my shafts). Any one had any luck with sticky-back plastic?

It needs to be removable without damaging the shaft, and work well with tape.

Any ideas?

Cheers (the returned, bigger n better) kae.

Shirt

Find a sign printers, ask to get some offcuts. It's the same vinyl, and they'll sell you about a square foot for a quid.

reckless

Fonz Awardee
Ok whats the deal with arrow wraps????
are they just to make your arrows look purdy or do they actualy serve a usefull function? surly adding more weight to the arrow is a BAD thing..

Shirt

1) they weigh about two grains. The straw stuck on the point weighs more than that.
2) adding weight is not always bad.
3) They mean when you want to change your fletchings you don't have to put a sharp object near your expensive arrows. Mostly useful for glued on vanes, although a growing number of people are using them with Spin Wings, etc.
4) they can make the arrow stand out a bit more on a crowded target - if there's three of you using the same colour nocks, it means there's another colour there to differentiate between your arrows.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Shirt said:
1) they weigh about two grains. The straw stuck on the point weighs more than that.
2) adding weight is not always bad.
3) They mean when you want to change your fletchings you don't have to put a sharp object near your expensive arrows. Mostly useful for glued on vanes, although a growing number of people are using them with Spin Wings, etc.
4) they can make the arrow stand out a bit more on a crowded target - if there's three of you using the same colour nocks, it means there's another colour there to differentiate between your arrows.
What he said, lol. That nicely sums up the reasons why I want them.

I want to re-try some taped x-wings, but I hate getting the tape off the shaft when I get fed up with them, therefore, arrow wrap will mean I can just peel the wrap off, and viola, clean arrows :cheerful:

mmmmm sign printers, yellow pages me thinks.

FlightyRachel

Fonz Awardee
Hey Kae, where have you been?

You should get loads of that vinyl stuff, chop it up, put it in little bags and sell them on ebay. Supplement your income!

And why do my arrows have more mud on them than straw?

Rach

stever

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
FlightyRachel said:
Hey Kae, where have you been?

You should get loads of that vinyl stuff, chop it up, put it in little bags and sell them on ebay. Supplement your income!

And why do my arrows have more mud on them than straw?

Rach
Cos you get the most 'Greens' :melodrama

Stace

The down side of using arrow wrap of course, is that when you damage/lose just one fletching, you need to remove/replace them all unless you're prepared to re-glue the fletching to the wrap.

It certainly seems the current "in thing".

Fox

I have used the signwriters stuff for years. Its great because you can use the fastest, strongest superglues, with accelerators for ultra quick fletching and when you need to re-fletch, you stick your arrow in the nearest cup of tea and it all peels off in one clean piece. My vanes never fall off, they just get shot up sometimes but since i mainly shoot Field,you get a lot of pass throughs and nearly pass throughs from which the vanes I use will just recover providing they are well stuck to the shaft, which they are.

If you need some and cant get it, PM me, I have tons of it and can get more easily.

chris

Reactions: Kae

Dooky

I use mat black vinyl which I got from a signwriter cut about a cm longer than the fletches...you only see it if you looking for it. The fletching glue also sticks like mad to vinyl, which is great.
Only issue I have (as said before) is I can't get a damaged fletch off without removing the vinyl with all 3 fletches.
Also, get some good quality vinyl, I used some cheap stuff (from t-shirt and sticker printing stand at a fleamarket) and the glue didn't hold and started unwrapping after about 24hours... 18 fletches wasted, well it could have been 36.

bowtech1973

LVE Arrow wraps.

Hi Kae,
I use LVE wraps from Bowsports. They come in solid colours and if you cut them in half, they ain't too expensive.
Hope this helps. Chris G.:sonar:

R

rgsphoto

How about "Solar Trim", very light thin sticky back plastic used to trim up model aircraft, used it for years on model planes. It will work well on arrows and comes in any colour you like, even metalics.

sambow

Find a sign printers, ask to get some offcuts. It's the same vinyl, and they'll sell you about a square foot for a quid.
I would like to try this and could do with some advice. So I know what to ask for Is the printers stuff the same as what printers use to make adverts on the side of vans etc?.

Presumably you wrap it around the end of the arrow is it best overlapped (which may cause imballance??) or butted in which case whats the best way of cutting it to size?

Are the flethcings then glued onto the wrap?

Note my main attraction is less to do with fletching adhesion and more to do with being able to find the 59 arrows that don't make the target ;)

tel

Fonz Awardee
I would like to try this and could do with some advice. So I know what to ask for Is the printers stuff the same as what printers use to make adverts on the side of vans etc?.

Presumably you wrap it around the end of the arrow is it best overlapped (which may cause imballance??) or butted in which case whats the best way of cutting it to size?

Are the flethcings then glued onto the wrap?

Note my main attraction is less to do with fletching adhesion and more to do with being able to find the 59 arrows that don't make the target ;)
Right - I'm guessing we are talking the same stuff that the modern-day sign writers use - I'll confirm that and let you know if someone doesn't beat me to it! What I do know is forget fablon (Blue Peters original 'sticky back plastic') - Its ridiculously heavier.

As for point two - overlapping - wouldn't worry over much. I did initially do a trial and error thing, decided on a size, marked it on the cutting mat and all was well. Of course you need to do it again for each arrow change.

Yes, the fletchings are then glued to the wrap - big plus with carbons.

Finding? mine can be spotted from afar. Obviously colour is a key thing here.