Arrows

tracy137

Not sure I've put this in the right section, apologies if not.

I just wondered if someone could advise me how difficult it would be for me to make my own arrows?

I have my own fletching jig which I find fairly easy, but beyond that not sure. Any advice would be gratefully received. Have to point out Trev (husband) is an engineer so even if I couldn't, I'm sure he could understand any points you make.

Thanks! :cheerful:

jerryRTD

The most important thing is to clean off all the grease from the arrow shaft, even a finger mark has enough in to spoil the adhesion of the glue. Read and follow the directions on the glue you use.Log on to www.eastonarchery.com and down load the easton tuning guide. There is a section on attaching fletches and the rest of the tuning guide is interesting reading as well.( Ignore the bits on broad heads and compounds)

Last edited:

Tuck

Putting arrows together is relatively easy, points go in with the supplied hot melt glue and fletching with the correct glue. Follow the easton guides and if using spinwings a Beiter wing holder is useful.

Tuck

wingate_52

If you have a fletching jig and the time go for it. It is only an assembly process.But do check that the sum of the parts is not greater than shop built arrows, so shop around.

Kuchipuka

I think putting your own arrows together's a great idea - did it myself and just followed the instuctions for the points. (If you don't get th instructions with your points, as said before, look online). Maybe ask Trev to help with this bit, not because it's too difficult, but because it can take many hands to warm the hot melt, apply, stick into the shaft... But also the more people involved in Archery the better!

Alcohol wipes are good for cleaning, and it's a good idea to always have a fluff-free cloth on hand for glue disasters. Your knocks may either push in, or glue onto your arrow shaft; if you're not sure which just post the name of the knocks here and we'll be able to fill you in! Then fletching, after the knocks and points are set, is quite good fun! I hope you've chosen some cool colours! Finally, enjoy shooting with your new arrows!

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
On the subject of hotmelt... I've always found the stuff which comes with easton points to be completely useless. The stuff you get with hotmelt guns is fine. My process for fitting points is as follows (assuming you're not actually MAKING the arrow - i.e. turning wood :D)

1. Clean the inside of the shaft with cotton bud & isopropyl alcohol. Allow to dry.
2. Test-fit a point into the shaft to ensure it's not a bad fit.
3. Take the point in a pair of pliers (I just hold my ACE points, but others may be too short), and heat the shank up with a candle/match/etc...)
4. Rub the hot melt up and down the shank until it's nicely coated.
5. If you like, apply a ring of melted hotmelt to the inside of the shaft
6. If necessary, heat the shank again to ensure the hotmelt is nice and soft
7. Push the shank of the point into the shaft, turning the shaft slowly to ensure a good spread of hotmelt. If you've got the consistency of the hotmelt right, this should take very little force.
8. Leave to cool.
9. Rub off the ring of hotmelt which will have squeezed out around the shaft/point

If you use the easton hotmelt, I find you have to use way too much heat to get it to melt... the lower the melting point, the better, especially if using Carbon shafts. I can usually hold the tip of my 100g ACE points when applying hotmelt.

Hope that helps

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I am sure if you ask around your club you will find somebody who will help you and show you want to do. At our club we run a number of training sessions, arrow making is one of them. You could also get a copy of "Simple Maintenance for Archery" by Ruth Rowe as arrow making and repair is covered along with a load of other interesting and usefull stuff.

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
Big Boy Blue said:
You could also get a copy of "Simple Maintenance for Archery" by Ruth Rowe as arrow making and repair is covered along with a load of other interesting and usefull stuff.
I'll second that - a thoroughly excellent book, and it comes spiral-bound, so you can keep it open at the correct place and follow the arrow building sequence without having to destroy the spine of the book to stop it closing itself!

Tuck

Murray

I have never had a problem with Easton hot melt - and it comes with the arrow shafts.

The only prob I ever had was on cleaning inside ACE's - the cotton bud picked up a few strands of carbon pulling it from the matrix, and it appeared like a crack. A bit of superglue fixed it but it is something to be aware of.

Tuck

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Tuck said:
I have never had a problem with Easton hot melt - and it comes with the arrow shafts.

The only prob I ever had was on cleaning inside ACE's - the cotton bud picked up a few strands of carbon pulling it from the matrix, and it appeared like a crack. A bit of superglue fixed it but it is something to be aware of.
I've never used the Easton hotmelt, it's such a piddly little stick that it looks like it won't do more than a couple of points. A standard glue-gun hotmelt works just fine, though. If you're really worried about heat effects, you can even get low-temperature versions. I just keep a mug of water handy for quicker cooling.

Coo. Cotton buds for cleaning. I just use damp kitchen towel. Push it all the way through the shaft with a piece of coathanger wire.