Arrows for a longbow

SexyArcher

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice on what arrows I should get for my long bow. I want some that are half decent and reasonably priced, but not really expensive. I've looked on lots of different websites where some are really cheap and some are really expensive, but to be honest I wouldn't really know what is a good price to pay for a set. I want some ready made ones, as I wouldn't know where to start with making my own, and just wondered if anyone can recommend any??

Thanks

SA

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Depends what you want really - I have a nice set of tournament arrows from John Catley (Google Little John Arrows) which were about ?95 delivered but I also have a cheap field set from Aardvark which came in around ?55 for breaking in trees (until I get better at guessing distances).

SexyArcher

Thanks for that guys! I have looked him up and his arrows look really smart :) but so does the price, I am just looking to get some cheapish ones while I build up my skills as I am new, then I will look at getting better arrows and or a new bow.

Thanks very much for your replies though

Much appreciated

SA

english_archer

Ironman
You know it's really not that difficult to make your own arrows it's actually fun and will save you loads of cash :beer:

SexyArcher

Hey EA,

It may be really easy to make them and I am sure I would love it but i havent got the tools, the patience nor the skill to make my own, and we all know that in this sport, precision is points :)

Thanks anyway though pal, maybe once I have got more in to it I will give them a go, maybe even make my own bow one day. would be great to be able to do that!!

Thanks again people

SA

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Hi its true that in archery precision is best, but I've been making arrows since I started 2 years ago (only 4 dozen though really cause of funds) but with home made arrows you can make a good set of arrows easily. The tools a relativly cheap and pay for themselves after 2 dozen really. Most of my current arrows do have some curve in them I will admit, but since even with that I've reached 1st class, plus for starting out they are cheap and you know how to repair them/make more if they break because you made them to start with.

TheLongbowShop

The Longbow Shop will weight match all your shafts for free if that's of interest when making your arrows as well (recommended). You can also buy your arrow making gear from us (a traditional archery shop run by trad archers) and ask me as much advice on making them up as you need :)

Jase

Just to throw in some coins here I would also really reccomend making your own, if for no other reason then you will know what they are, at the cheaper end of the scale for pre-made arrows, and rather unfortunately at some of the higher levels as well the difference between the arrows, and how they fly can be very pronounced, which will cause trouble when you are trying to get consistancy in your form because you won't know if it's you that caused the arrow to fly off differently, or if it is the arrow itself flying differently. If you've been unfortunate enough to have read my other posts you'll think i'm a bit of a broken record :muttering but as archery is all about consistancy and repitition I think it can be all to easy to lose confidence in your abilities when in actual fact it is your equipment letting you down.

Sorry about the ranting-ness, I just feel this is important.