Cartel fletching jig

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Cartel fletching jig - How to use...

I have just recieved my first fletching jig - Cartel one!!!

How do you use it??? Doe anyone have a "how to fletch your arrows" guide that would be usefull.

I will be able to spek to my coach tomorrow night, but I am too damn keen and want to get wired in ASAP

Thanks

Allvyn

I have the exact same fletching jig. I don't have a set of instructions but there are settings available for 3 or 4 fletchings with a choice of which ball bearing modules to use.

The first thing I did when I got mine was to Take it apart to understand how each section worked... There is a warning though, there is a really sharp pointy edge in the metal somewhere on the jig which took a chunk of flesh off my fingers.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I have the exact same fletching jig. I don't have a set of instructions but there are settings available for 3 or 4 fletchings with a choice of which ball bearing modules to use.

The first thing I did when I got mine was to Take it apart to understand how each section worked... There is a warning though, there is a really sharp pointy edge in the metal somewhere on the jig which took a chunk of flesh off my fingers.
What do the 2 wee allen screw things at the nock end of the jig do???

Allvyn

What do the 2 wee allen screw things at the nock end of the jig do???
The 2 allen screw things are basically there to enable you t adjust the spring tension on the ball bearings. The one on the far end of the jig will enable you to put four fletches on if you screw the thing until its flush while leaving the other one half way unscrewed. A warning though, don't completely remove the 2 screws as that may cause the spring to shoot out with the ball bearings(trust me, they're tiny and hard to find on the carpet). :knockout:

Allvyn

and vice versa with the other one nearer the center. To enable the jig to put 3 fletches on, screw down the small allen key thing nearest the center of the jig till its flush with the platform and then unscrew the other one halfway.

The black allen key screw on the knob is there to enable you to adjust the nock "rest". Hope that helps. :cheerful:

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Allvyn,

Thanks for the info....why they couldn't include some simple instructions is a mystery.

:beer: :beer: :cake: :cake: :cake:

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Allvyn,

Thanks for the info....why they couldn't include some simple instructions is a mystery.

:beer: :beer: :cake: :cake: :cake:
I thought that when I bought mine, I concluded that they expect you to use the instructions that come with whatever they copied it off!

Russ

I thought that when I bought mine, I concluded that they expect you to use the instructions that come with whatever they copied it off!
:rotfl:

I've just ordered a Spigarelli, so I can pass on the instructions once it arrives. I'm more curious than anything to see if the design of the Cartel really is that close.

Although in my experience with other Spigarelli products, the English instructions are barely comprehensible... it's easier to muddle through the Italian text with a dictionary!

Russ

Doe anyone have a "how to fletch your arrows" guide that would be usefull.
I agree this would be really useful; I'll soon be in need of one myself. Did you find one? I downloaded the Easton guide, but it's all about cutting shafts and fitting nocks and F.O.C., no mention of fletching.

Just some basic idea of how to use a jig, e.g. what all the adjustment parameters are, how much off-set (1?-2? or straight), how to clean the clamp without wrecking it, etc. would be really helpful.

If you come up with anything, will you let us know?

Cheers,
Russ

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I agree this would be really useful; I'll soon be in need of one myself. Did you find one? I downloaded the Easton guide, but it's all about cutting shafts and fitting nocks and F.O.C., no mention of fletching.

Just some basic idea of how to use a jig, e.g. what all the adjustment parameters are, how much off-set (1?-2? or straight), how to clean the clamp without wrecking it, etc. would be really helpful.

Cheers,
Russ
Didn't find anything....just kinda did it.

Once I got it setup for 3 fletches & alligned the clamp, it was really quite easy. The only mistake I made was that I put the fletch in the clamp right up to the base. This meant that when you put it onto the shaft, excess glue oozed out onto the clamp. Made a couple of fletched awkward to remove.

i did get there in the end. Took me about 2 hours inc. fitting points. Did not a but job if I do say so. Plus I've shot them a couple of times this week and all points/nocks are still in place.

Warning: My fletching glue had a warning on the label "Will bond skin instantly"....its not kidding!!!!

Allvyn

Instantly eh? Not so if you're using the cheap bohning one which I use(i just rub it off the fingers if I do get any on). I'm now content with the oozing glue until I can shoot a 1200 FITA haha :yummy: .

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter

Cheers,
Russ
Perhaps you missed pages 19, 20, 21, 22 & 25 with useful headings like:

"Fletching Aluminium Shafts"
"Preparing Shafts for Fletching"
"Fletching Carbon Shafts"
"Removing Fletching"
"Fletching A/C Shafts"

Russ

Perhaps you missed pages 19, 20, 21, 22 & 25 with useful headings like:

"Fletching Aluminium Shafts"
"Preparing Shafts for Fletching"
"Fletching Carbon Shafts"
"Removing Fletching"
"Fletching A/C Shafts"
No, I did see those, thanks.

I guess I wasn't specific enough in my original question: Easton has lots to say about what to do with the arrows, but not a lot to offer on how to use the fletching jig itself. Especially a jig like the Spigarelli or Bitz that has all kinds of fiddly adjustment. I'm sure the jigs must have instructions somewhere, I just haven't seen any yet.

john heff

AIUK Saviour
There's a brief description of the Cartel fletcher on Alt. Services. Perhaps it will answer some of your questions (or at least help you to figure it out).

I don't have a Spig or Cartel but here's a tip that should help.
Rub some bowstring wax on the inside and bottom-edges of the clamp (where the vane contacts......some people use teflon tape instead of wax), it will keep the vane from getting stuck to the clamp in case you have some oozing glue ;). - John

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Rub some bowstring wax on the inside and bottom-edges of the clamp (where the vane contacts......some people use teflon tape instead of wax), it will keep the vane from getting stuck to the clamp in case you have some oozing glue ;). - John
Excellent tip...I'll need to try and remember that for the next time!!!

Thanks

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
I have just recieved my first fletching jig - Cartel one!!!

How do you use it??? Doe anyone have a "how to fletch your arrows" guide that would be usefull.

I will be able to spek to my coach tomorrow night, but I am too damn keen and want to get wired in ASAP

Thanks
Fletching Aluminum Arrows.

This might be of some use darther.

texasarchery.org always good for bits of information

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
The 2 allen screw things are basically there to enable you t adjust the spring tension on the ball bearings. The one on the far end of the jig will enable you to put four fletches on if you screw the thing until its flush while leaving the other one half way unscrewed. A warning though, don't completely remove the 2 screws as that may cause the spring to shoot out with the ball bearings(trust me, they're tiny and hard to find on the carpet). :knockout:
Now, bearing in mind I hadn't read this by the time I overadjusted my nock rest and it came out, and the two ball bearings and the spring shot out (!), I assume the ball bearings go in the holes where the allen screws go, but where does the spring go (is there only one)? Also, if I wanted to "adjust" it to only click for 3 fletches, would I be OK to leave the RH ball bearing out altogether?

Incidentally, the magnets on the jig can also be used to sweep the carpet for missing ball bearings and springs?

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Amazingly I managed to work it out. First relocate the spinning 'round nock assembly and tighten the bolt, then take out the front allen screw and look down the hole. When it lines up with a detent drop a ball bearing down the hole followed by the spring followed by the allen screw which you tighten up to suit!

I'm amazed.

frasier013

I managed to find a tatty old copy of the instructions for the Cartel Fletching Jig which I reformatted it so it was easier to read. I've attached both the original (just in case people are curious to know whether they really exist as they're almost impossible to find) and my formatted version with new pictures.

Original instructions
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3rrK034qiONVFdlQzN1Nlg4dWc/edit?usp=sharing

New instructions
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3rrK034qiONMkxIMXBRWEVaajA/edit?usp=sharing

Hope this helps :)