Cartel Triple Components

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Arrowsmith Components (Cartel Triple Points)

Oh no! Not another Triples thread I hear you cry! :raspberry. Hopefully this one's legitimate :)

I'm probably going to put together a new set of Triples and was wondering if anyone had any experience using the points made by Arrowsmith Components. I'm thinking about using the nifty looking 130 grain short bullet points they offer.

Can anyone out there offer any comment on these or their other products? :beer:

Last edited:

Alex

I use these piles and nock pins in my triples. They are a very high quality and accurately made product, the 130 grain dozen I had were all within 1 grain of each other!

My 600 triples were having trouble grouping, but a set of 130 grain piles and nock pins sorted them out and they now mostly go in the middle.

They are made by Paul Smith, a member of Crown Archers in Maidstone, where a number of archers use his points both recurve and compound. They are commonly known as Paul's Penetrating Piles, for obvious reasons.....

Paul can also accommodate custom orders, up to a point.

Alex.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
They are made by Paul Smith, a member of Crown Archers in Maidstone, where a number of archers use his points both recurve and compound. They are commonly known as Paul's Penetrating Piles, for obvious reasons.....
Not taking away from his engineering and manufacturing skills but his products are just copeis of easton components. Thepins, obvous, and the 130 grain points are stainless steel versions of the Easton x10 ballistic Tugnsten points. Im not putting him down just putting across my 2 cents. Be warned though with 130grains, I use 120 grain tungsten pooints on my recurve, you may find around 80 and 100yds you loose loads of speed in the arrow and therefore your sight marks will drop. I pull 46# at about 28 1/2" and I struggle with 100yds.

Alex

His products may not be exceptionally innovative, but the Easton piles you mention don't fit Cartel Triple shafts and Easton are ceasing production of the Vector pin that fits the 300-700 spine Cartel shafts.

Paul also makes the pins and piles for all the Triple spines, not just the 300-700 range.

It is a matter of seeing a need and filling it, rather than finding a totally new product.

Alex.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It is a matter of seeing a need and filling it, rather than finding a totally new product.
I agree. Dont get me qrong I aint having a moan just pointing out an observation. But yes there is a need with the ever increasing market for Cartel triples. Its a shame people like him dont get the recognition they deserve. We need more people like that filling the gaps. Good on him and good luck thats all I say.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for the info guys.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Well I've finally started to assemble my new Triples and decided to try Paul Smith's points instead of the Cartel ones.

I haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet but I have to say I have been very impressed with both the service of Arrowsmith Components and also the quality of the points. I can't wait to try them out.

As I'm just experimenting with 4 triples at the moment (playing around with spines before I decide which to get) I just bought 4 of the points. Paul was very happy to sell that many points (rather than a full set of a dozen) and I'll almost certainly be going back for more when I buy a full set of shafts.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
A word of warning

When heating up the points to remove them from my arrows I used the method I've always used - a flame applied to the point. Unfortunatley this caused the loctite used to bond the point tip to the shank to come loose and the point broke in two.

This was easily repaired using some more superglue. But it was a bit disconcerting for the tip of the point to pop off the shank with a fizz.

When removing these points use the hot water/ 'cup of tea' method rather than a direct flame

Public service broadcast over... I'm still happy with the points other than this setback

radsbow

Had the same problem happen to me last week - I was a bit suprised to find them in two parts! But as you say, bit of superglue and they are fine.

JohnKR

I haven?t any experience with arrow building but is this normal, the points being in two parts? Are the Cartel ones in two parts, and (though they do not fit, so not an option) the Easton points?
Just seems like a flaw that does not need to exist IMO.

tel

Fonz Awardee
I haven?t any experience with arrow building but is this normal, the points being in two parts? Are the Cartel ones in two parts, and (though they do not fit, so not an option) the Easton points?
Just seems like a flaw that does not need to exist IMO.
I've been looking at the spares I have (both Cartel and Easton) and they appear to be one-piece, though I couldn't be 100% sure. I do know that some of them have been through several assembly/disassembly cycles using the pencil torch with no problems.

Last edited:

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Well I just got hold of my first full dozen set. I'm very impressed with the weight matching of the points.

Every single one of them is 129.8 grains :thumbsup: