Easton arrows: Recurve vs. Compound?

Russ

I went shopping for arrows recently, and was told by a trusted archer/retailer that Easton's Navigators (and the newer FMJ Navs) were designed for compound bows, and as a recurve archer I should stick with ACCs.

I should point out that I'm not in the market for ACEs or X10s, simply because I'm not shooting at a level where I'd notice the difference (and therefore couldn't justify the considerable extra cost). But maybe next year...:scratchch

But seriously, has anyone else heard this about Navigators? It seems to me a lot of recurve archers use them, even if they are designed for compound. Are they that much better than ACCs that I might actually notice the difference?

And here's a more general question (which is not really important - I'm just looking for the gossip): anyone know why Easton shafts have suddenly gone down in price?

Cheers,
Russ

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
If Navs are designed only for compounds, why do the easton charts (2005, 2006 & 2007) specify Navs for recurves?

The charts show by group (T4,T5 etc etc) two spines, one for compound, the other for recurves. This is done for X10's, ACEs and Navs.

Group T3 (2006) for example shows 710.810R - where 710 is the recommended spine for Compound, 810 for recurves(denoted by the R - clever huh?)

T.

J

John (OSF)

The don't make navs in as many spine sizes as aces etc so they can be a pig to tune ime (they're great if you get them right though )

tel

Fonz Awardee
Use what works - hell, if you can get a broomstick to tune who's to say "its only for sweeping"!

JohnK

And if ACCs were designed for recurve, why are they listed in the Easton Hunting Guide and the Target Guide?

They may be a trusted archer/retailer, but they're talking rubbish. ACCs are good arrows, but there's no reason at all you shouldn't shoot a Nav from a recurve. After all, a Nav is just an ACE without the barrelling.

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
And here's a more general question (which is not really important - I'm just looking for the gossip): anyone know why Easton shafts have suddenly gone down in price?

Cheers,
Russ
The pound is strong against the dollar - might be a factor

Ffish

I think Nav's cover a much wider weight range, per spine, according to their shaft selector. For example, the 610's that I use are good from 30lbs right up to 45lbs bow weight, at 29".

ACC's on the other hand have 3 different spine ratings across the same weight range, ACE's and X10's have just two.

Makes me wonder why Nav's aren't even more popular than they are, as they (probably) wouldn't need to be changed when you upgrade to higher poundage limbs.

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I think Nav's cover a much wider weight range, per spine, according to their shaft selector. For example, the 610's that I use are good from 30lbs right up to 45lbs bow weight, at 29".

ACC's on the other hand have 3 different spine ratings across the same weight range, ACE's and X10's have just two.

Makes me wonder why Nav's aren't even more popular than they are, as they (probably) wouldn't need to be changed when you upgrade to higher poundage limbs.
if you're using the Easton Shaft Selector software, the reason for this is that the 660s aren't included in the data tables...so it never recommends them...:)

I wonder if they will be in the 2007 version when it appears..

T.

jerryRTD

Use what works - hell, if you can get a broomstick to tune who's to say "its only for sweeping"!
Agreed, how many of us would not be shooting Axis FMJ's if we had listened to the 'It's a hunting arrow' advice. If it's correctly spined and your bow can throw it the distance. Hummm Balsa wood broomsticks?

Last edited:

wingate_52

I shoot 610 Navigators outdoors. They cover a wide tuning range. I have gone from 34# to 43# bow weight with them, gradually decreasing fletchings and increasing point weight, they work fine for me. They major increase in performance and consistancy was when I changed from an 18 strand to 16 strand FastFlight string.

A

ASW1973

navigators are good enough to shoot out of a recurve :) If anything defines an arrow as compound or recurve it is the overall shaft weight but it is a nebulous concept! Navigators are far superior to acc for either recurve or compound but if u were looking at a 600 spine or lighter I would buy cartels as they are cheaper and equally (if not better) made.

Desert Archer

...I would buy cartels as they are cheaper and equally (if not better) made.
Not picking a fight but I must disagree. I've read at least two reports of independent spine testing and the Triple does not come close to any of the Easton shafts in spine uniformity. Also, Navigators and Triples cost about the same on this side of the pond. YMMV!

Dave

A

ASW1973

over here there is a difference in price. I shot cartels for 2 years choosing them over other arrows and in all the sets I have dealt with and that is many I have not seen the problems you have listed. Also in weighing the single shafts they were stunningly consistent +/- 1grain on 30 inch shaft from any ramdom dozen over 2 years.
each to their own:)

Marcus26

I went shopping for arrows recently, and was told by a trusted archer/retailer that Easton's Navigators (and the newer FMJ Navs) were designed for compound bows, and as a recurve archer I should stick with ACCs.
That's funny.
Originally the ACC was pushed more as a compound arrow and the ACE as a recurve arrow. The Triple a recurve arrow, the X10 a recurve arrow etc etc.
The current world 90m compound record was shot with ACE's.
One of my students tied the australian 50m recurve record with Triples
Many compound WR's were shot with X10's.

All hogwash really.

Desert Archer

over here there is a difference in price. I shot cartels for 2 years choosing them over other arrows and in all the sets I have dealt with and that is many I have not seen the problems you have listed. Also in weighing the single shafts they were stunningly consistent +/- 1grain on 30 inch shaft from any ramdom dozen over 2 years.
each to their own:)
That means "your milage may vary".

Dave

SLOWHAND

I shoot 610 Navigators outdoors. They cover a wide tuning range. I have gone from 34# to 43# bow weight with them, gradually decreasing fletchings and increasing point weight, they work fine for me. They major increase in performance and consistancy was when I changed from an 18 strand to 16 strand FastFlight string.
Shouldn't you be decreasing pile weight as you go up in bow weight to achieve thr same tune?

Marcus26

decreasing pile weight has very little effect. The loss in drift resistance will out weight the effect it will have.
Lowering teh poundage is the best way to tune.

A

ASW1973

decreasing pile weight has very little effect. The loss in drift resistance will out weight the effect it will have.
Lowering teh poundage is the best way to tune.
Exactly but no matter how many times it is pointed out that the only way to tune is with poundage people still insist on playing with minor parameters. In selecting an arrow recurve or compoundc I would pick a point weight then a shaft to match it and the poundage keep button soft (dont mess with rest on compound much) then alter poundage to tune. remembering that no such thing as too stiff an arrow on compound :)

ThePinkOne

Only thing you may have to watch is minimum arrow weight on a compound. With my 50# Equalizer at 26" DL I find the ACEs work out as a bit borderline of getting 5gr/lb.

Some arrows may not spine for a R/C either- like if you had a short DL and lower weight it may be tricky getting Axis FMJ to fly off your bow for example.

Other than that though, if the arrow matches and you like it and you find is consistent enough, shoot it, if it works for you, don't worry about what the book says.

P.