Fat Boys

wingate_52

Is anyone using the Eaton Fat Boys indoors. 5" feathers and heavier points?. Any views apart from fitting 3 in the X ring, and sexist pie jokes.

timppa

I had Easton Fatboys size: 400 with Arizona EP-26 and 100 grain point. Good arrow, but they are not strong enough. I shot only spots, so grouping didn?t break them. Three of them cracked near the point in short period after three months use. Now I?m using Easton Cobalt 2314.

Marcus26

Here are 2 of my X7 2314s
the top one was newish, not shot alot.
the bottom one was shot for about 4 months, 3-5 days a week.
You can see clearly that the bottom one is much lighter than the top one. The 2312's I use to use would be totally silver at that point.

To me this is a strong advert FOR X7s. Look at the wear on what is quite strong anodizing and consider what that will do to quite flimsy carbon. IMHO you will see loss of grainage in a shorter period of time.
In fact we have tested a loss of 5 grains to X10s shot into straw type targets in 3 months of use, that's an inch worth of arrow.
The Fatboy is a great 3D arrow, but for indoor usage I don't think you will get the durability that you require as timppa's results show.

If you shoot compound I would suggest
Easton X7 2312 or 2314
nibb point
2.5-3" vanes*

If shooting recurve
The Easton X7 that suits your bow (a 600X10 will be a 2112, quite large)
normal nibb (contray to old wives tail arrow weight can not soften you arrows, but that's another debate)
2-3" feathers (use the right spine and you don't need 5". Feathers reduce the effect of contact)

* Many people overdo the vane thing buy a huge amount. The arrow is straight within a few metres of the bow, that much drag is not going to help and often introduces contact issues. The only good reason for larger vanes is looks.

Fatboy 500 SIB size

What size Screw-In Bullet Points are used with a Fatboy arrow (the shaft size I have is 500)?

I assume it is from one of the standard sizes of 9/32 5/16 or 11/32? The inset I am using is the Easton Point Insert, if that makes any difference.

R

rgsphoto

I can't see the point in them to be honest. they are fragile, expensive and no better than an ali arrow.

greydog

I tried FatBoys when they first came out. There were a few bad batches flying around then, as Easton had hyped them up then had to rush production to fill orders. I think I ended up with one of the bad batches because they were useless. I got them for field and never really tried them indoors as they looked too flimsy, I wouldn't like to think what a solid straw boss would do to them, as Marcus says, they would just wear away. The walls are quite thin to keep the weight down as I think they were intended as a 3D arrow.

What size Screw-In Bullet Points are used with a Fatboy arrow (the shaft size I have is 500)?

I assume it is from one of the standard sizes of 9/32 5/16 or 11/32? The inset I am using is the Easton Point Insert, if that makes any difference.
I have found the answer, 11/32 apparently. Time to get my useless arrows into action for another year :cheerful: :cheerful: