painting carbon arrows

sambow

I recently saw an archer who had arrows with the last 4 inches (fletching end) all yellow. I wondered if it would be possible to spray the ends of my carbon arrows in a similar fashion to make them easier to find now the outdoors season approaches.

My conderns are mainly would the spray paint have a chemical reaction with the carbon which would cause material weakness.

Has anyone any knowledge of this being done?

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
You would be better off using arrow wraps rather than painting them. You can buy arrow wraps from most archery retailers. Some archers swear by using sticky backed vinyl (that sign makers use) to get the same effect.

There's a thread here on arrow wraps http://www.archery-interchange.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4765

Last edited:

phillc

Painting Arrows

Hi you will probably find that they had not been painted just had a wrap or cresting fitted basically like the old airfix kit transfers, you can buy them from archery suppliers or get the clear or white unmarked sheets from the hoby shop in london about ?8 for 10 a3 size sheets printable on laser or ink jet, you will need to buy the fixer or it washes off but you can put just about anything on them check on the net for other suppliers and have fun with it

Kae

The American
American Shoot
I'd be less worried about the paint, and more about the thinners used (paint has to be thin when sprayed or painted).

Definitively go with arrow wraps rather than paint.

Also as soon as you start to group the arrows together, you will just damage the paint and it will look tatty very quickly I would of thought.

Kae.

Thunk

Ironman
Definitely arrow wraps! Don't use paint! Your fletchings would then be stuck to a paint layer instead of the carbon, and the adhesion of the paint layer would undoubtedly be much less than that of the fletching glue.

But to answer your original question - no, it wouldn't damage the carbon. Carbon fibre is chemically inert and there wouldn't be any reaction.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
It isn't the carbon that gets damaged, its the glue used to bond the layers together.

Kae.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Use arrow wraps. If you speak to the guy at Soxc arrow wraps (google Soxc andyou will find them) they can do you any design you want and can even put the fletctching lines for spin wings and your name and arrow numbers and even additional information.

These are my wraps

These are them on my arrows

He even has a line of AIUK wraps.

Any problems give him an email. You will get a quick response.

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
Don't arrow wraps effect the balance of the arrow? It seems daft to (to my uneducated self) that you spend a fortune on carfully selected caron shafts then wrap them in wall sticky-back-plastic (here's one I made earlier:))

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Don't arrow wraps effect the balance of the arrow? It seems daft to (to my uneducated self) that you spend a fortune on carfully selected caron shafts then wrap them in wall sticky-back-plastic (here's one I made earlier:))
I was sceptical like that as well. They are so light and flexible they dont change the arrow dinamics. alot of top recurve and compound archers use them. especially for field.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
The Socx wraps are very pretty, but very expensive also. There are much cheaper alternatives. There definitely seems to be a trend towards using wraps (I've had a set since December - just waiting for this season's arrows to be cut!)

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
The Socx wraps are very pretty, but very expensive also. There are much cheaper alternatives. There definitely seems to be a trend towards using wraps (I've had a set since December - just waiting for this season's arrows to be cut!)
Yes Soxc are expensive but the quality is awsome and you can get full customs designs. Just send them a JPEG andthey will convert it to a wrap. also they come in specific widths for your arrow. Got em for my x10's and because they are so thin I got 36 wraps out of one strip.