SkyArt B92 - thoughts?

Kangasniemi

Right, so SkyArt released their new arrow for 2011 a while back, but I haven't heard anything about it really.

The B92 is apparently lighter than the X10 (heck, even lighter than my 620 ACEs, which is a feat in itself), but they're also thinner - ish.

Josh (josh77) measured his 600 X10s for me, and the numbers we got indicate that similarly spined (600 X10 compared to a 650 B92 according to each manufacturer's arrow recommendation chart) SkyArts are thinner-ish than the X10s. With thinner-ish, I mean that the X10s are barreled with a minimum diameter of 4.50mm and a maximum of 5.02mm, whereas the data I've found on the B92s indicate a 4.65mm parallell shaft.

The B92s are very, very slightly (hardly) cheaper (?12/dz) than the X10s, but as they've not really been proven as competitive arrows, is there anyone who would buy them? I'd personally love to give them a go, but would one risk hundreds of pounds on an arrow that might be, quite frankly, rubbish?

What's the thought on the B92s? Isn't one of the reasons why the X10 is barreled to increase the spine of the arrow? How is it that SkyArt's managed to create a parallell shaft with similar spine/thickness?
I'm curious to know what you guys think!

//Kangasniemi

Last edited:

mrtufty

Hi,

Haven't seen this new model but clubmate had a previous Skyart carbon arrows and they fell to bits in 6 months. (he's now got ACCs)

The new ones might be better but do you want to save ?12 and spend hundreds finding out that they are rubbish?

Hope it turns out well whichever you go for.

Kangasniemi

A friend of mine has one of the CALU shafts, and he had no problems with them whatsoever. The advantage with the normal CALUs is that you get both points and pin-nocks with the shafts.

I'm just looking for people's thoughts on the B92s, as they sound promising - but I'd never buy them without having seen them/tried them beforehand.

//Kangasniemi

Froggy the Elder

I'm just looking for people's thoughts on the B92s, as they sound promising - but I'd never buy them without having seen them/tried them beforehand.
I had the same problem with my Calu Sapphires - thinner and slightly lighter than ACC's - but very little real world info, apart from seeing a shaft in a shop. So took a risk and bought some, thankfully I've been well pleased with them on the recurve. But I still took a risk and got lucky.

It's difficult for new manufacturers to break in to the market, especially with arrows, as they are so important and expensive. Sapphires are actually more expensive then ACC's, so I might go with ACC's when I need new arrows for the compound.

Personally, I'd have to say go with the tried and tested X10's, ?12 on ?350 for a dozen is no reason to take a chance.

Kangasniemi

I'm not the kind of person who gets what other people get because it's fancy and popular, but actually choose things because of their performance. I have Border Hex5-H Mk1s because they were so much faster than anything else - even though I'd never tried them, and although I live in Scotland, I couldn't find the time to head down to Border and try them out. That's why I'm looking at all options for my next set of arrows - McKinney IIs, Nanos etc. I don't want to shoot what everyone else has chosen because Brady Ellison happens to shoot well with them (as I think he'd probably shoot high scores with any top level equipment - would love to see him show up with a set of Borders for the Formula!), but choose the best option for ME.

What I like about the B92s, and the reason why I'm kinda curious about them, is the fact that they are thinner than the X10s, and lighter than my ACE's, i.e. reducing two separate effects on the arrow. Higher launch velocity due to less mass (or the same mass if I use heavier points) and less cross-sectional area means that I would expect less wind drift compared to the X10s.

//Kangasniemi

jimlee

I asked Sky arts UK rep about these shafts and was told that they're not released until the end of June so I don't think anybody will have any views on them yet. If you believe the hype they say that once you have bought the first matched dozen the manufacturing tolerances will be so tight that they will be able to supply single replacement shafts. Merlin archery were the only dealer selling the Sky Art shafts in the UK and they have now stopped supplying the high end models, the UK rep can supply shafts and components but doesn't have the facility to cut the shafts to length. So all in all it could be a bit of a leap of faith.

Cheers, Jim.