Spin Wings

Whitehart

I have been shooting quite happily with my ACE's fletched with FlexFletch 1 3/4" vanes. Last week I decided to give Spin Wings another try.

Firstly I am left handed so the arrows spin anti-clockwise.

Last week with the wind blowing across the field from right to left (looking down the range) and setting my sight mark for 100 yards (based on my set up with FlexFletch) I had 4 arrows in the white 1/2 at 12 O'clock and 2 over the top. This week the wind was left to right my arrows were in the Blue 5/6 at 6 O'clock. I assume that this might have something to do with the direction the arrows were spinning and wind resistance. Also grouping was much tighter last week with the arrows spinning in the same direction as the wind.

Interested to hear anyone's views on this especially given how many top recurve archers use these vanes.

hypertigger

spin wings will be much lighter.

unfortunatley the main reason i have kurly vanes is that they come in more colours and are shiny.....

otherwise i haven't looked back at plasti fletches since i bought my first set of carbons.

joetapley

As said spin wings are lighter and incur less drag then plastic vanes so higher to be expected.

Your experience with group size depending on wind direction more likely to be related to the tuning then the direction of spin. The latter is I would guess possible with very strong winds, either the rate of spin going too high or the vanes physically bending....just speculation

Whitehart

joetapley said:
As said spin wings are lighter and incur less drag then plastic vanes so higher to be expected.

Your experience with group size depending on wind direction more likely to be related to the tuning then the direction of spin. The latter is I would guess possible with very strong winds, either the rate of spin going too high or the vanes physically bending....just speculation
All theories welcome.

Wind about a force 2 both weeks.

What surprised me last week was the extent of the lift normally I would expect about a colour difference not gold to white. This week with an opposite cross wind (against the spin) the arrows were low. In both cases the groups were quite good and the bare shaft at 100yrds (out of interest) was only showing a little weak as expected due to the reduction in rear end weight.

Anyway going back to the flexfletch - if it ain't broke don't fix it theory.

F

flamingbladerider

I went from straight vanes to spinwings on ACE's i had and the grouping was much tighter

narrowboat jnr

spin wings

i am thinking of switching over to spin wings but i have heard they come off and more of a pain than straight flights what do you think

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
I think if you spend the time fitting them properly then they should be ok. Some people (and I did following recommendation from Lez at Aardvark) fold the bottom of them down - easier in a Beiter vane holder so you end up with a lower profile vanePersonally I've gone back to normal vanes, I've never seen an scientific evidence that they have any advantage over normal vanes.

Why not fletch some up and try them against whatever you currently use to see if you have any benefit

Shirt

narrowboat jnr said:
i am thinking of switching over to spin wings but i have heard they come off and more of a pain than straight flights what do you think
Based on your kit, you're nowhere near a level where you'll notice the difference.

Stick with the straight vanes, they're far less hassle.

Before anyone accuses me of being unnecessarily harsh, I try these things every year and every year come to the same conclusion - there's no difference until you get to a higher level than that which I am at at the moment...

SLOWHAND

I find spin wings very resiliant, surviving shooting through the clicker, pass-throughs and (I know it's hard to believe that I miss sometimes) going through grass. I've never had one come off, unlike Kurleys and despite the fact that they are a bit of a pain to put on (the Beiter tool is very good and cheap) I would'nt use anything else.

Dont forget that the colour of spinnies denotes the stiffness and therefore the drag imposed. I use white (lightest drag) or black (next lightest drag).