spingwings?

mack

With the weather starting to warm up(all but very slowly!) , it will soon be time to get outside for the outdoor season. With this in mind i have noticed that most of the top archers use spingwing vanes, i currently use ep vanes and am thinking of changing. I have heard that spingwings are a bit of a pain to fletch but if the results are worth it i wouldnt mind!
Any thoughts on this??, cheers.

R

rgsphoto

mack said:
With the weather starting to warm up(all but very slowly!) , it will soon be time to get outside for the outdoor season. With this in mind i have noticed that most of the top archers use spingwing vanes, i currently use ep vanes and am thinking of changing. I have heard that spingwings are a bit of a pain to fletch but if the results are worth it i wouldnt mind!
Any thoughts on this??, cheers.
There are a few post already on here about this. However my opinion of spin wings. Don't bother, you will spend more time re-fitting them than you do shooting, too fragile. Stick with your EP vanes. Vane type, has little influence on group size, vane size does. Keep em small for outdoor use.

joetapley

It's easier/quicker to fletch arrows with spin wings than with the glue on variety. (Particularly if you use the Beiter gizzmo). On the other hand spin wings are more likely to suffer damage than the glue on vanes so it's a bit of swings and roundabouts.

Depends to some extent on how 'competitive' you intend to be. Spin wings will outperform glue on vanes which is why top archers use them.

R

rgsphoto

joetapley said:
Spin wings will outperform glue on vanes which is why top archers use them.
I doubt that very much, is there any proof of this?

joetapley

For the same amount of arrow spin, spin wings incur less drag on the arrow than conventional vanes (that's the clever aerodynamic bit). Also being much lighter, spin wings give you higher arrow speed and higher FOC, both pluses.

As for proof ask any top level archer why they they use spin wings; all will give you the same answer - better performance.

There are exceptions. US Olympic archer John Magera uses FF vanes. His arrows are so long and his draw weight so high that Easton don't make an arrow to suit him. The FF's backweight the arrow and effectively stiffen them.

joetapley

PS perhaps I'd better qualify the above.

Quite a few of the top Korean archers use K vanes. (curved vanes but different manufacturer) So when I said spin wings were better I meant curved vanes were aerodynamically better than flat vanes.

R

rgsphoto

OK let's assume the spin wing is better, by how much? I suspect it's very very subtle, and the fragility of the vane puts the spin wing in the "not worth the hassle" category for most archers. Do top level Compound archers use them?

D

Deleted member 74

There is little to no difference in group sizing between spinwings and flex fletch vanes. James Park did a test at 90m with them and the groupings were identical. It's just a matter of preference. I hate dealing with glue and fletching jigs, so I use spinwings. They can be repaired on the field and I rarely have any problems with them coming off, which I always did with flexfletch. I also don't like the way rubber vanes stay in the shape they are bent to if you leave them scrunched up in a tube - spinwings can be bent back quickly and easily.

R

rgsphoto

grantwomack said:
They can be repaired on the field and I rarely have any problems with them coming off, which I always did with flexfletch. I also don't like the way rubber vanes stay in the shape they are bent to if you leave them scrunched up in a tube - spinwings can be bent back quickly and easily.
I have stopped using arrow tubes for this reason. I do like the consistancy a spin wing gives. But at the end of a fita I end up with a few arrows that need re-flectching due to impact from other arrows.

R

rgsphoto

Nice video Joe, It looks like the chap shoots a back tension release too.

PS no tin hat required, I feel compounds are more forgiving too, one of the reasons I prefer to shoot one.

Last edited:

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
"much of it", is a bit of an exaggeration... I just chipped in a bit. I think GT and Rick McKinney had more to say than I did...