spinwings - what a drag!

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Well, now that it's become pretty difficult to get riteflites from Quicks, I've gone back to Spinwings (I loved the low profile of the RFs, but hey).

So - in terms of drag, (lowest to highest), the packs say:
Black/white, yellow, blue, red. (yes, there's an error in archers reference!)

I've got some black and some red, so thought I'd carry out some tests at some point in the next week or two. Meantime, before I do that, has anyone done this before me? What is the real difference with a medium weight bow (38#) between the black and red spinwings in terms of sightmarks/grouping?

I shot riteflites against black spinwings and noticed almost no difference in sightmark (the riteflites were considerably lower profile and (I'm guessing) therefore much lower drag) - so I'm thinking that selection of spinwings really won't make too much difference?

Oh yes, and I was advised by a top UK archer to ALWAYS put them on with an offset - so I've done that. Off to shoot for some sightmarks with the red spinnies this pm, will let you know what I find :)

Whitehart

Well, now that it's become pretty difficult to get riteflites from Quicks, I've gone back to Spinwings (I loved the low profile of the RFs, but hey).

So - in terms of drag, (lowest to highest), the packs say:
Black/white, yellow, blue, red. (yes, there's an error in archers reference!)

I've got some black and some red, so thought I'd carry out some tests at some point in the next week or two. Meantime, before I do that, has anyone done this before me? What is the real difference with a medium weight bow (38#) between the black and red spinwings in terms of sightmarks/grouping?

I shot riteflites against black spinwings and noticed almost no difference in sightmark (the riteflites were considerably lower profile and (I'm guessing) therefore much lower drag) - so I'm thinking that selection of spinwings really won't make too much difference?

Oh yes, and I was advised by a top UK archer to ALWAYS put them on with an offset - so I've done that. Off to shoot for some sightmarks with the red spinnies this pm, will let you know what I find :)
I'm not so sure that the colours make any difference, the elites are made of the same stuff and it says on the packet that you can mix and match the colours.

joetapley

Differences in drag between spin wings (if any) would relate to the degree of "rear curl" not the colour or thickness.

I've shot different coloured and different sized spin wings together and never seen any significant difference between them in sight mark for a no wind condition. With a wind size does start to matter.

'course if your going to offset them totally different ball game. Personally I can't see the point in increasing the drag for no benefit.

buzz lite beer

well the original Richard Carella spiel states that the drag differed by using different thickness Mylar material the thicker stiffer options didn't uncurl as much in flight.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
You do mean you put the spin wings on straight but offset the rite flights - don't you Murray :sonar:

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Nope, I mean offset on both :) Difference in sightmark between the riteflites and spinwings was around 6mm. Just about to fletch up 6 with black spinwings to see if there's any real difference!

Joe - are you saying that even if I set my spinwings on straight, I will get the same amount of spin?

Main issue I worked on today was my tabs though. I have two cavalier tabs, as identical as I can make them although one is slightly more curled than the other (by a fraction) - the difference between them is around 5-6 rings left/right. After much experimentation with talcum I can see no other difference.... seems rather critical to me.

Nick Forster

Ironman
I have seen groups of 3 reds and 3 yellows shot by a MB the reds were always about 3" lower grouping to the reds at 80yrds
the bow had 40lbs limbs on a nx riser
Nick:cheerful:

wandle

Murray

I found that with the ACE 670 /90 grain points right flights were better in a wind and drifted less than white spinwings with the same sight marks but with X10 650 100grn points the spinwings grouped better than right flights 38# 27" shaft, beiter in/outs

Dave

D

Deleted member 74

I've shot black, red and white spinwings beside each other, on the same arrows and different arrows in the same weight-matched set. There was no difference between any of them at 80y. All gold end and the white fletched arrows were mostly 9's surrounding the 10-ring. The red fletched ones were dead centre in the middle. (As a result, I chose to shoot with red fletchings, but that's beside the point.)

I fletched a few arrows with two red and one white, two black and one red, two white and one red, two red and one black (this last combo looked the best) and they were all still grouping exactly the same.

Go figure!

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Cheers guys, great stuff. Thanks all for taking the trouble to reply.

I've fletched some more arrows with black spinwings but with no offset - to see what the difference is on sightmark and grouping as it seems that the question comes down to "to offset or not to offset".

joetapley

Joe - are you saying that even if I set my spinwings on straight, I will get the same amount of spin?
No. Offset will increase spin rate but also increase drag. All you need is "enough" spin - whatever enough is. No benefit in increasing spin rate above the "enough" level - too high a spin rate will be detrimental. With good, nicely constructed shafts I would speculate that you get quite enough spin with the fletchings fitted straight i.e. minimising the drag.

Only way to be convinced is a head to head between two arrow sets- straight and offset.

73miss

Joe Wrote
Only way to be convinced is a head to head between two arrow sets- straight and offset
The link I put up earlier in this thread has a head to head thing (although its not obvious as I cleverly put a link to the homepage rather than the relevant section - you may have missed it.) Follow the link and scoll down the left hand side to see the "wind tunnel" this guy has constructed. There are also comparative measured rates of spin and drag for Spinwings and Quick Spins with three and five vanes.

There is also a comparison of spin rates/ drag for different feathers fletching profiles both straight and offset.

I assume that the feathers will behave in a similar manner to spinwings etc, although the rates of spin and drag will obviously be different.

http://www.ide-teknik.com/eindex.htm

It may be helpful but if not, my apologies

Andrew

phillc

spinwings

At a DCAS squad session a visiting coach suggested putting spin wings on, sounds strange but inside out, ie the vane following the curve of the arrow stick it down on to the fletching tape and then bend it back on itself gives a lower profile and they stick on much better (also helps to stop them sticking together in the quiver) i tried it and it works in fact its a sod trying to get them back off again

Flying Whale

At a DCAS squad session a visiting coach suggested putting spin wings on, sounds strange but inside out, ie the vane following the curve of the arrow stick it down on to the fletching tape and then bend it back on itself gives a lower profile and they stick on much better (also helps to stop them sticking together in the quiver) i tried it and it works in fact its a sod trying to get them back off again
When putting them in "conventional" orientation, a sprinkling of talcum powder reduces the sticking together problem.

Other orientation sounds interesting. Any pictures available?

Wrexham Exile

Ironman

i think kae mentioned he puts them on this way.

in a world were people weight each arrow to within a nanogram of each other this method surprises me as surely each vane wouldnt be bent the same amount??