Switching from Ali to Carbon Arrows and smaller length. 27.5 draw length

strathq

So I've been shooting target 20 yards for just over a year and worked up through a few limb changes.
My scores on a Portsmouth are averaging 540 - shooting 1 - 2 times per week.

My current set up
Hoyt Avalon Recurve 25" Riser
SF limbs (carbon) 34lb.
FastFlight 18 strand string
Arrows XX75 Platinum Plus 30" Spine: 2013

Just had my Draw Length measured at the club with an extra long Easton measure arrow and the result is 27.5 inch
(27 & half inches)

So I figured I'd need a shorter arrow and Carbon would be the way to go.
I've read that lots of archers are shooting arrows smaller than the draw length...
(I assume this is because the point/nib is not part of the equation).

I'm thinking I need a 28.5 inch arrow?
I've looked at the Easton Chart Guide & a few online shops...

Easton Charts put me in the spine range of 700 / 710 / 720

Easton Apollo 28.5 has a spine of 950
CarbonOne 28.5 has a spine of 1000
A/C/C 28.5 has 3.00 or 3L.00

These numbers seem very confusing & different.
I'm guessing that the differences in the numbers is down to the different materials used.

Any advice welcome.
cheers

fbirder

Just had my Draw Length measured at the club with an extra long Easton measure arrow and the result is 27.5 inch
(27 & half inches)

So I figured I'd need a shorter arrow and Carbon would be the way to go.
I've read that lots of archers are shooting arrows smaller than the draw length...
(I assume this is because the point/nib is not part of the equation).
Is 27.5" your AMO draw length?

The AMO draw length will be the distance to the position where your arrow lies on the rest - PLUS 1.75". So, if your AMO draw length is 27.5" then that means you could use 27" arrows and the end of the shaft will still be 1.25" past the button/rest.

Tuck

To where on the bow was the measurement?
Button, back of the bow, ?
This is important as the spine charts and arrow cutting is a specific measurement.

strathq

Many thanks for mega fast replies....
Just did a double check...

Nock groove of the arrow to the pressure button (which is directly over the back of the grip) is exactly 27.5 inches.
Wrap around rest.
So 1.75 inches has not been added!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Many thanks for mega fast replies....
Just did a double check...

Nock groove of the arrow to the pressure button (which is directly over the back of the grip) is exactly 27.5 inches.
Wrap around rest.
So 1.75 inches has not been added!
Okay,
So your draw length is 29.25, and your "correct arrow length", according to Easton is 28.5...

Don't worry too much about the nominal spine of shafts. Just pick something from the right box on the charts.
Assuming you know your actual draw weight that is...?

Tuck

Most target archers will use the Easton arrow length, as having excess arrow just adds weight, hunting archers in US will use AMO to ensure broadhead clearance.

strathq

My draw weight would suggest I'm pulling 33lb but I have the 34lb limbs screwed in an extra turn bringing them up to 34lb.
The A/C/C arrow covers 30-35lbs

So armed with this info I'm looking at 28.5inch arrow.
Easton guide puts me in the T4/T5 boxes.
The A/C/C suggest 3.04
An online store for the 28.5inch mark it as 3.0 but I do have an option from a drop down to have 3.04.....
Is there much difference?

Tuck

There is no 3.0 rating, there is a 3.00 but this is very whippy so no at all suitable, looks like a mis- coding on the site.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
My draw weight would suggest I'm pulling 33lb but I have the 34lb limbs screwed in an extra turn bringing them up to 34lb.
The A/C/C arrow covers 30-35lbs

So armed with this info I'm looking at 28.5inch arrow.
Easton guide puts me in the T4/T5 boxes.
The A/C/C suggest 3.04
An online store for the 28.5inch mark it as 3.0 but I do have an option from a drop down to have 3.04.....
Is there much difference?
Hang on...
You've got limbs marked at 34lbs. You're drawing 29.25 inches, so your draw weight should be (at a minimum) somewhere between 35 and 37lbs.... If you've wound it up it could be higher.
Best to get someone to weigh it.

strathq

So as I have no access to scales till at least the weekend....
I been researching draw lengths & draw weights... lots of different ideas out there!

Found a couple of calculations to play with (divide age of 3 kids minus brace height) as well as stand against a wall & measure your arms etc.

Using draw length as 27.5 I came up with weight of 33lbs.
Using draw length of 29.25 I came up with weight of 36lbs.
My Hoyt riser can go +/- 5% so with that thrown in I end up with 34lbs to 37lbs.

Checked the Easton Arrow charts online and the A/C/C 3-04 fits the bill for a 28.5inch arrow.
In both the 32-36lb & 36-40lb range
A/C/C 3L-18 seems to be the next arrow up.

I'm not planning on upping my poundage and only wound the limbs up to make my Platinum Plus arrows fly faster (which they didn't appear to do)!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
My Hoyt riser can go +/- 5% so with that thrown in I end up with 34lbs to 37lbs.
But your SF limbs are weighed at the bottom of the range, so don't go +-5%,they go +10% from the bottom...

It's the way the limbs are marked, not how the handle works...
The Hoyt approach is probably better, as "the bottom end" on weight adjustment can be a bit flexible, and varies from handle to handle.

<edit> that said, it sounds like you'd be safe enough picking something from the 36/40 weight range.

strathq

Many thanks guys
My weight was measured using scales at the club and came in a little under 36lb.
I opted for 28.5inch Easton ACC 3.04
And I have to say they shoot quite nicely!