tuneing x7

P

Paul scott

I have just equired some x7 and put some 5inch feathers on and fitted 100gr points problem is bare shafts are way off left. I am pulling 36lbs and arrows are 28.3/4. I have packed points with pellet lead and they arnt much different. Qustion is can these be tuned and how do I go about it.I shot at the club last sunday and sighted them in untuned and was scoreing 119 ends but I need to tune proprly can anyone help.

Tropicalshot

try this method.

01-07-2006, 07:42 AM #1
James Park
Grand Master Bowman

vCash: 590
AR34 Single Cam
Sherbrooke, Diamond Valley, Waverley (started in 1960 at Oakleigh, also been a member of Moorabbin)
Tuning a recurve bow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the many queries I get on tuning a recurve bow:
(Covered in more detail in "Mastering Bow Tuning", as is tuning a compound bow).
Assumptions:
- The bow's physical length is about correct for your draw length.
- Adjustable limb alignment.
- Adjustable draw weight.
- Arrows of a size that will work.
- The arrows are about level with the back of the riser when at full draw.
- You have a sight and a clicker.
- You have a good bowhand position and are not twisting the riser.

If your arrows are the correct size, the following process is easy, fast, accurate and repeatable.

Steps:
- Select the correct string length. This should ensure that the correct amount of string is sitting around the recurve on each limb. It is best to use the manufacturer's recommended brace height.
- Set the tiller. Make the top tiller about 1/8" greater than the bottom tiller.
- Align the limbs. You need to end up with the string running centrally down the limbs and the riser, and for the riser not to be twisted off to one side.
- Set the pressure button so that there is zero movement (I put a match in it). Then adjust the centreshot so that the arrow is sitting exactly on centre.
- Shoot some fletched and some unfletched arrows at about 15-20M. Adjust the nocking point so that the fletched and unfletched arrows hit at the same height.
- Adjust the bow's draw weight so that the fletched and unfletched arrows hit the same place horizontally. Note that if the arrows are not the correct size, this step will not be possible, and there will be little you can do to fix it (sell the arrows and buy new ones - with a recurve bow you really do need to get the exact correct size, one size wrong will not tune correctly even with much frustrating tinkering). If the bow draw weight will not go high enough you can try a lighter string. If the bow draw weight will not go low enough you can try a heavier string.
- Still with the solid pressure button, adjust your sight so that you are grouping around the centre of the target.
- Now, do not change the sight setting. Take the match out of the pressure button and adjust the spring tension to "something nice".
- Now that you have some give in the spring, you will need to push the arrow out a little from true centreshot, so adjust the pressure button position.
- Shoot some arrows and see where the centre of the group is. If the arrows are to the left then move the pressure button to the right, and vice versa.
- Shoot some fletched arrows at a longer distance and check that they seem to be flying well.
- Powder test to ensure that the rear of the arrow is not striking the rest or pressure button.
- It should now be working pretty well.

Note that we are not fiddling with the spring tension to try to get the fletched and unfletched arrows to group together. It does not work like that. The key adjustment is changing the bow's draw weight.

Note that we tune a barebow recurve in essentially an identical manner (using a sight and a clicker).

Note that we tune a compound bow shot with fingers in an identical manner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by James Park : 01-07-2006 at 07:58 AM.

archer_thom

That seems to say it all. I thought that it might be that your centreshot is out, since this would mean that the bare shafts will always be way out. Or the spine is totally wrong.
I would not recommend putting lots of lead in your points since this will be inconsistent. However if you're shooting well then don't worry.

P

Paul scott

That seems to say it all. I thought that it might be that your centreshot is out, since this would mean that the bare shafts will always be way out. Or the spine is totally wrong.
I would not recommend putting lots of lead in your points since this will be inconsistent. However if you're shooting well then don't worry.
I have since orderd new points and will shoot regaedless of fine tune I suppose 119 is very good with out the tune. I was advised to add lead evenly but now think bad idea as didnt help and has knacked my points. thanks

Last edited:

archer_thom

I have since orderd new points and will shoot regaedless of fine tune I suppose 119 is very good with out the tune. I was advised to add lead evenly but now think bad idea as didnt help and has knacked my points. thanks
Yeah consistent 119s (I assume that's FITA) will get a considerable amount of admiration from most recurve archers. The problem with adding lead is that you cannot be very consistent. A grain is 0.06g, and points (by Easton anyway) are accurate to +/- 1 grain (from experience with ACE points anyway). It would be hard to add weight that will remain in those tolerances.

P

Paul scott

I wish. that was on a portsmouth face after about 2 doz sighters