Which vanes to use

Ski

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I use a recurve for outdoor target shooting and in the process of buying FMJ?s and need to fletch them. What do you recommend?
Plasti-Fletch - Max
Easton Diamond Vanes
Flex-Fletch Vanes
NAP QuickSpin Vanes
K Super Flonite Spin Vanes
Super Flonite Vanes 'SOLID' - 1.3/4"
Spinwings
Kurly Vanes

Or something else?

:dizzy:

Nick Forster

Ironman
If you are sure about going FMJ on a recurve.
I think I would go for a straight vane, as every one that I know who has tried FMJ's reports that there sight marks have droped, and that the spineing seems a bit stiff. Normally I would say spin wings 13/4" on normal navigators or ace's.
Nick

moo-mop

It would be a very unusual and unproven choice to you go that route on recurve. Almost certainly they are too heavy. Even x10s can be too heavy for medium poundage recurve bows depending on spec, and FMJs are a lot heavier.

rod

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
for me when i shoot ace's at 60 yard in the gold. x10's at the same sight mark they drop in the black at 6, i have 43lb on the fingers, not tried fmj's but i am sure they will be in the grass.
stick with ace's or navs untill you get to at least BM.

I am sure others on this forum would say stay off x10's till you get to MB

Ski

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I am pulling 45 pounds at present, but hadn't thought about the weight of the FMJ's, was too concerned about the spine and type of vanes and didn't take the actual arrow weight into consideration. Glad I asked.

Many thanks.

Ski

Ski

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Thank you, now we are back onto fletchings.
Why Elite Plastifletch over any of the others?

h20vrrq

Bohning X-Vanes. As durable as you can get. Even after quite a few pass throughs, I've only lost one vane and that was shot off by another arrow.

Ski

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Bohning X-Vanes. As durable as you can get. Even after quite a few pass throughs, I've only lost one vane and that was shot off by another arrow.
Quite happy to try these.
Where can you get them?

Desert Archer

I'm shooting 400 Navigator FMJs ouit of two 43# recurves. I shot a personal best on the FITA 900 round (out to 60m) in June with one of them and regularly shoot out to 80 yards on the IFAA Field course with the other.

As for vanes, I prefer Flex Fletch. Yea, they are a little harder to attach but when done correctly (per their instructions) they are very durable.

Dave

Ski

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I'm shooting 400 Navigator FMJs ouit of two 43# recurves. I shot a personal best on the FITA 900 round (out to 60m) in June with one of them and regularly shoot out to 80 yards on the IFAA Field course with the other.

As for vanes, I prefer Flex Fletch. Yea, they are a little harder to attach but when done correctly (per their instructions) they are very durable.

Dave
So no real problems with FMJs from a recurve.
Not too heavy then?

:scratchch

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
there are two different 'FMJ's remember -

axis FMJ - heavy but strong - too much for all but the heaviest recurves i guess

navigator FMJ - presumably 'inside out' navs - more usable for recurves

slainte :cheerful: rob

Last edited:

Ski

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
there are two different 'FMJ's remember -

axis FMJ - heavy but strong - too much for all but the heaviest compounds i guess

navigator FMJ - presumably 'inside out' navs - more usable for recurves

slainte :cheerful: rob
Good point.

Nav FMJs were the ones to which I refer.

OK for Recurve then?

Are the type of vanes really that important.
It seem to me, go for ones that last and stay away from curly ones.
Is that right?

madmac

Ive just moved from flonite curlys to aae max shield cut no real reason except i liked the shield cut.there has been another thread about different fletches but i dont know how to put it up!(sorry)I have tried different fletches (makes and sizes)and not noticed too much of a difference int he sight markings ,Ihave tried 4 " next to 1 3/4" inside no difference to my scores or sight , SO GO WITH THE ONES THAT YOU LIKE THE LOOK OF AND TRY DIFFERENT ONES and smile

Ski

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
A good piece of wise council I think.
The shield shape does appeal to me.

I was told that the fletch makes very little difference providing that distance is not a problem.
As some vanes such as Quick Spin creates excessive drag.

chrism

Fonz Awardee
does it really matter?

My advice (which isnt worth the paper its printed on) is "pick a colour/design/price you like". I refletched my arrows yesterday on a whim to a colour scheme i liked and I increased my score on a windsor by 80 points, nothing else major had changed apart from the fletching colour. Go figure.
Until you get to MB/GMB the biggest factor in the shot is you.

Desert Archer

Ski,

In answer to your earlier question, the FMJs I was referring to were the Navigators. I have an unusually long draw (32.75") so my arrows are even heavier than most. The FMJ Navigators I shoot for target and field come in at 10 gpp (434g) with my 43# bow. YMMV!

Dave