X10's - first impressions

SimonW

Finally got to shoot my X10's today.

I have been shooting ACE 520's with 120gr points and pin nocks.
The X10's are 550's with beiter in/out nocks and tungsten piles.
Both with 1.75" spin wings.

I was a little worried that the heavier X10 might lose quite a lot of sight mark.

I shot 80yds as its a comfortable distance.

My sight mark for the ACE's was 6.45 (I'm not exactly sure what each division is on the Shibuya Ultima sight - it might be 1mm)

I dropped it to 7.5 to be safe (couldn't face breaking an arrow on a stand leg with my first shot) and it went well over.

Next arrow was high black, third arrow in the gold. I ended up with 6.7 for the X10's. A difference of 0.25.

The X10's flew beautifully - much better than the ACE's. Obviously this is just down to them being a better match. I have suspected that the ACE's were a little on the stiff side for my current setup (a poor shot tended to wobble around, especially down range).

But my main worry (the greater weight and loss of sight mark) seems unfounded.

Simon

Marcus26

Because the X10 is heavier is has greater downrange velocity, so while it leaves the bow slower, it maintains that speed longer than the ACE.

wingate_52

I'll bet you are a happier archer. Well done. Were the suppliers o.k. with the problem and sorting it out?

SimonW

The retailer I got the shafts from was very helpfull throughout. They checked the shafts and agreed they weren't right. They asked if I wanted a refund or another set, I asked for another set (which are fine).

The shafts have been sent back to Easton for them to examine/comment on.

I guess I just got a bad set (which doesn't say much for Eastons quality control). However, I'm so impressed with the X10 that I'll order another set.

Simon

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
i've got a set semi on order from the usa.

im glad you like them and its good to know sight marks aint going down too much

wingate_52

Are the savings from the u.s. worth while with postage, vat, import duty, post office handling fee. Who do you deal with?

Shirt

wingate_52 said:
Are the savings from the u.s. worth while with postage
It's not that bad in terms of postage - USPS is far cheaper than UPS and gives virtually identical service.

, vat, import duty,
If you get anything shipped and have them declare actual value on the green sticker, you're a muppet and completely missing the point. 30 bucks and a gift is a pretty good combination.

post office handling fee.
Only a problem if they've not put enough postage on it in the first place, and since you voluntarily pay a little over the odds for that just to make sure, they should do. Otherwise your post office is ripping you off - I have to collect most of my stuff from the central post office due to a tiny letterbox, and they've never charged me.

GeoffT

Ironman
Not sure thats strictly legal.........And if they get lost or damaged you'll only get the declared value.

pascallee

SimonW,
Just for the information, the sight marking division on the ultima is 24 division per inch with 20 click on the Knob for moving 1 division. Thus calling this a 20 click 24 turn.

SimonW

Thanks Pascallee,

so nearly 1mm per division then (assuming 25.4mm per inch).

I wonder why they didn't just use mm?

Simon

pascallee

It's just a standard. That's why I think they use 24 division. If you look at all the softwares used for calculation sight mark, you'll find options like 10 click 24 or 20 click 24 turns, etc. All the famous sights use setting like that.

Astinus

Just picked up a new set of Easton X10's (500 / 100gr / 29.25") and am overall very pleased with the purchase. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, am sitting here fletching away merrily ;) Guess we'll see how they perform on Tuesday, shall report back.