Ebay Foam Bosses

efbe

Just a heads up for people really.

The foam bosses sold on ebay, such as these:
target.jpg
60cm SELF HEALING FOAM ARCHERY TARGET boss ARROW | eBay
60 CM LEISURE FOAM HEAVY DUTY CROSS TARGET BOSS | eBay

work perfectly well for bows up to about 34lb, after which the arrows go straight through.
I bought one about 4 months ago, and it works well in all weather, and does in it's own way "self heal". However as soon as I upgraded my limbs to be over 34lb ish, the arrows go straight through.

So if you have a more powerful bow than this, get a straw boss instead, these seem to work well, though it is much much harder to get your arrows back out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Reay

we had those in our club and the junior compound archers wrecked one of them in a weekend. we repaired it and told everyone it was only to be used by longbow and beginners and the juniors ignored the sign and wrecked it again. Had a few things to say to the junior coaches. Now only longbow archers use them. Nice to pull out wooden arrows and i have shot at them with my 36lb bow with alluminium arrows just to get sight marks at 60 yds but only once and as i repaired them in the first place, thought i was entitled. would not dream of shooting my X10s at them

DarkMuppet

Yup, they're not so good with bows of a higher poundage.

For just a few pound more than those, you can get a proper layered foam and wood bracketed one which will last you much longer.

They don't have any for sale on eBay at the moment, but there's a shop that sometimes put their 90cm ones up for ?50 on there, which is much cheaper than from their shop!

efbe

bah, wish I would have known that. The thin straw bosses are impossible to get your arrows out of, especially in the rain!

newgrange

I have a proper 90cm layered foam boss for my 'backyard range' which is about 4m. Since I upgraded to 36lb limbs, I have found that the arrows have started going through any bits of it I have already shot up a lot - they poke through about three inches on the other side, which is about the clearance from my back wall. Presumably if I up the poundage again, I'm going to have to work out some other solution....

Ar-Pe-Lo

I have this one and after shooting many thousands x-10 arrows from 42-45lb recurve at 3m I'm still yet to shoot it trough the centre piece.....great value IMHO......

Phil Reay

if you can't get sheets of rubber, fix bits of carpet to the back. we have to do that with a lot of our straw bosses once they start to get old. probably cheaper than sheets of rubber as well.

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
Just a heads up for people really.

The foam bosses sold on ebay, such as these:
View attachment 1807
60cm SELF HEALING FOAM ARCHERY TARGET boss ARROW | eBay
60 CM LEISURE FOAM HEAVY DUTY CROSS TARGET BOSS | eBay

work perfectly well for bows up to about 34lb, after which the arrows go straight through.
I bought one about 4 months ago, and it works well in all weather, and does in it's own way "self heal". However as soon as I upgraded my limbs to be over 34lb ish, the arrows go straight through.

So if you have a more powerful bow than this, get a straw boss instead, these seem to work well, though it is much much harder to get your arrows back out!
They are described by one of the archery retailers as suitable for fibreglass and junior bows up to about 20 lbs. I use these for school archery.

brassmonkey001

What about buying two and putting one in front of the other or glueing them together? You can get a pair delivered for ?41.40 at the moment on ebay.

efbe

What about buying two and putting one in front of the other or glueing them together? You can get a pair delivered for ?41.40 at the moment on ebay.
Really not even slightly worth it! My old one barely slows down my 28lb indoor limbs, let alone the outdoor 40lb ones

for only a very little more at ?60ish you can get a Black hole target, or if you want a proper all singing all dancing block target for ?80 that will pretty much stop a bullet then read the review here:
Parting Shot - Archery Review Blog: Block Black Target Boss (Field Logic)

there are probably other like this, though it seems they are mainly stuck in the USA

Mufti

if you can't get sheets of rubber, fix bits of carpet to the back. we have to do that with a lot of our straw bosses once they start to get old. probably cheaper than sheets of rubber as well.
No . . . HANG a bit of old carpet behind the boss (about 6 inches behind) and let it dangle on some string.

Phil Reay

No . . . HANG a bit of old carpet behind the boss (about 6 inches behind) and let it dangle on some string.
not possible if you are using triangle stands. we usually just push it down behind the boss and between the stand. some are getting really soft so we've glued them to the bosses. 2 or 3 layers usually does it.

- - - Updated - - -

not possible if you are using triangle stands. we usually just push it down behind the boss and between the stand. some are getting really soft so we've glued them to the bosses. 2 or 3 layers usually does it.