Garden Practice range , is this a good idea?

PhilTheFragger

My daughter and I have recently joined our local club which shoots sunday mornings, I would like to be able to practice more frequently so considering a garden range, I shoot Compound (Bowtech Tribute) about 50Lb, daughter also compound but about 25Lb

we have a double width plot so certainly have the space for a 20 yard shooting range, my concern is safety, I am happy with the controlled access to the shooting area.

Behind the proposed target I would erect a 3m high Backstop net (possibly Era heavy Duty) Behind this is a 2m high shiplap garden fence, some chunky sycamore trunks then it is the neighbours back garden, followed 15m further by a road.with other houses beyond

The target itself would be a full sized circular Boss giving a reasonably large margin of error,

As far as I can see, im OK unless we get an overshoot, in which case im screwed

The trees behind are 6m high so I have the option of putting a second higher net at say 5m height

What do you think or am I being a bit ambitious

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
You need to go and ask your neighbours what they think, if they don't mind go ahead but prepared to take responsibilty for stray arrows hitting people/animals/property. It's also a very good idea to use your own house as a backstop/overshoot: if you're not prepared to do that and you have neighbours within 500 yards I really wouldn't consider shooting in your back garden, 'specially with a compound!

PhilTheFragger

Thanks for that

Using the house as a backstop isnt an option, simply because of the layout, I would only have about 8 yards shooting range max

Its across the back garden or nothing

grimsby archer

I know I've asked before Dave, but can this become one of those "sticky" things: "what to do if I'm daft enough to think I can shoot safely in my garden"

To the OP: I think you already know its not a safe idea "if we get an overshoot we're screwed"

Remember, backstop netting just doesnt stop arrows.
If you really want to shoot in your back garden, put the target boss next to your house would and shoot from the end of your garden towards your house.
Since your house is pretty tall, wide and solid it makes a pretty good backstop.
That way, if you miss/overshoot, all you'll hit is your own house walls, maybe break a window or at worst, kill or maim one of your own family.

[edit] sorry, just re-read - you dont think 8 yards is enough to practise at.

There was one guys a few weeks back who said he'd rather shoot towards his neighbors property as he didnt want to risk breaking one of his own windows :)

[/edit]

Last edited:

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Be honest with you, if I was your neighbour and you came and asked me, I'd be very unhappy. Partly because I know quite how far and fast an accidental compound release can go and the damage it can do when it hits something / someone. Imagine it goes off when aiming slightly high, grazes the top of the fence then goes vertical for another 150 yards..... can you predict what it's going to hit? And I doubt your insurers will want anything to do with it.

If you can make a safe range with 8 yards, you can get some very valuable technique practice done. Many people do so with this distance or less (often shooting into the garage for example).

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
What happens if you're drawing the bow and the D-loop or release aid gives way as you get to the peak? What happens if you have a bad day and put the sight in the wrong place? Even with a 20 yard sightmark you don't really have an idea where that arrow will go.

The best case is you luckily hit the target, the worst case is you kill someone... Not a risk I'd be willing to take, well done for at least considering the issues!

Phil Reay

Sorry, Phil. if i was your neighbour, i definitely wouldn't be happy (unless they don't know how far a compound arrow can fly if released wrong). I've seen recurve 32lb bow arrows clip the top of the boss and fly and awful long way. just imagine what a 50 lb compound would do. Use the 8 yrs to practice form and make sure your arrows don't pass through. Isn't there another club near that shoots indoors?
Good luck

fanio

I disagree with all the post above. I think it is fine, and also would not ask my neighbours' permission - that is just inviting a resounding "hell no". I just don't believe that we can all live in a land where we all believe our d-loops will inevitably fail and our carbon arrows will explode upon release, sending splinters into our bodies. You just cannot be that risk averse.

But that's just my personal opinion - and as you can see from above if you did have an accident a jury is pretty unlikely to vote your way...

Netting will not stop an arrow from a 50lb Bowtech, but will possibly stop one from your daughter's bow.

You have to make sure it is safe; and the "would I shoot at my own house" test is a valuable one. Also you have to accept responsibility IF something does go wrong.

I agree with everyone above that 8y is plenty to have lots of great technique practice at (in fact the time you spend at 5-8y is likely to be much more valuable than the time you would spend shooting "rounds" at 20y).

I disagree with all the post above. I think it is fine, and also would not ask my neighbours' permission - that is just inviting a resounding "hell no". I just don't believe that we can all live in a land where we all believe our d-loops will inevitably fail and our carbon arrows will explode upon release, sending splinters into our bodies. You just cannot be that risk averse.

But that's just my personal opinion - and as you can see from above if you did have an accident a jury is pretty unlikely to vote your way...

Netting will not stop an arrow from a 50lb Bowtech, but will possibly stop one from your daughter's bow.

You have to make sure it is safe; and the "would I shoot at my own house" test is a valuable one. Also you have to accept responsibility IF something does go wrong.

I agree with everyone above that 8y is plenty to have lots of great technique practice at (in fact the time you spend at 5-8y is likely to be much more valuable than the time you would spend shooting "rounds" at 20y).
Agree. I shoot in the back garden at about 5m. I have an industrial unit at the end of my garden and I shoot downwards into a field boss on the ground. Any dloop breakage would result in a dead arrow and nothing else.

My neighbours dont care but I never shoot when they are in the garden anyway to avoid any chance of mishaps.

Oh and thats from one of those *really* dangerous compound bows at 60lbs ;)

roytherecurve

My daughter and I have recently joined our local club which shoots sunday mornings, I would like to be able to practice more frequently so considering a garden range, I shoot Compound (Bowtech Tribute) about 50Lb, daughter also compound but about 25Lb

we have a double width plot so certainly have the space for a 20 yard shooting range, my concern is safety, I am happy with the controlled access to the shooting area.

Behind the proposed target I would erect a 3m high Backstop net (possibly Era heavy Duty) Behind this is a 2m high shiplap garden fence, some chunky sycamore trunks then it is the neighbours back garden, followed 15m further by a road.with other houses beyond

The target itself would be a full sized circular Boss giving a reasonably large margin of error,

As far as I can see, im OK unless we get an overshoot, in which case im screwed

The trees behind are 6m high so I have the option of putting a second higher net at say 5m height

What do you think or am I being a bit ambitious
"Safety" netting WILL NOT stop an arrow from a 50lb compound!
Even at extreme distance the energy left in the arrow would mean that it would, in all honesty, render the netting absolutely useless! Even your daughters 25lb compound would pass through the netting at 20 Yds and considering you have a road only 15 Meters beyond the 6'high fence, Which would not be any higher than your netting, you should not be considering your garden as a Safe shooting range for any but the weakest of jellybows and even then with the utmost caution!
If your arrow should go above your netting and fence then it will travel at least 100 meters before it lands and that's in an open field so it will definitely reach those houses you mentioned so No, just.... No!

You may never miss at 20 yds but are you prepared to accept what could happen if you do because it does happen, even with compounds!

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I can tell you factually that 2 layers of backstop netting will not stop the arrow from a 50# compound.. Neither does the reinforced double glazed window that hides behind the netting! I've been shooting on & off since 2006 to a reasonably good standard and did not expect to miss but in the last 3 months, I have shot through 2 windows!! If you must shoot at home.. Shoot against your own property.. 8M is enough to improve technique, an indoor boss against a wall is my preferred option :cake:

grimsby archer

I can tell you factually that 2 layers of backstop netting will not stop the arrow from a 50# compound.. Neither does the reinforced double glazed window that hides behind the netting! I've been shooting on & off since 2006 to a reasonably good standard and did not expect to miss but in the last 3 months, I have shot through 2 windows!! If you must shoot at home.. Shoot against your own property.. 8M is enough to improve technique, an indoor boss against a wall is my preferred option :cake:
love the honesty :)

grimsby archer

Hell no,

I dont believe that we all expecting that our d-loops will inevitably fail, but all the same, d-loops, release aids, strings and arrow nocks DO fail. People DO have catastrophically bad releases.

Do you just join the "it'll never happen to me" gang and be damned with the consequences.

No, you maintain your equipment to reduce the possibility of the failure and draw your bow in a way that means if it does fail, the arrow doesnt disappear into the wild blue yonder (remember the popular "high draw" method of the 1980s, popular until the compound bow came along).

Surely part of the "accept(ing) responsibility IF something goes wrong" is to reduce the risk wherever possible. Otherwise, the logical conclusion is that its perfectly ok to stand your child just to the left of the boss whilst you're shooting.

Isnt "not asking your neighbour's permission" just a bit sneaky? What he doesnt know wont hurt him (will it)? If it was a .22 rifle you were shooting, I'm sure he'd have something to say about it, and it wouldnt just be a complaint about the noise.

Imagine the devastation and public outcry "small child killed by arrow" "Mr X told the jury 'well, i didnt expect my high powered lethal weapon to actually kill anyone"

ok, I'll stop ranting now.

Except to say that in my neighbouring town, the club had an archery range about 8 ft wide down one side of a comunity sports center. A good sized floor to ceiling piece of cricket netting (you know the stuff, nylon thread, 1 inch square holes) ran full length of the range, seperating the arrows from the other users of the sports center (mostly 5 aside footballers) for whom it was common practise to stand leaning against the netting whilst waiting for their turn to play. I couldnt believe how many archers, footballers and sports center staff thought this was a safe and acceptable way to go.

D

Deleted member 7654

Do you have a garage?
I can manage a 10 yard shot into the garage.
Mind I'm shooting longbows and primitives. Before I installed a backstop net I still put a few holes in the steel up and over door.
Del

Microphonic

I think your bow is too powerful for your garden. Plus being a compound it is more prone to accidental release than a recurve. I shoot in my garden which is something like 40 - 45 yards long. At the bottom of the garden are some houses (not a garden though.)

There are some very tall trees at the bottom of the garden obscuring the view of these houses. Could an arrow get through and hit a window? It's very very unlikely but possible.

However I only shoot a 20lb recurve.

Having said that, my brother had a shot, the arrow bounced from the top of the boss about 15 metres into the air but was luckily stopped by a tree.
It's not that the arrow had much energy left to do anything, but more the fact that if it had ended up outside my property and someone found it, game over for my garden archery.

Before I promoted myself to the garden I shot in the garage where I can get about 8.5 metres. I waited untill I was positive I was good enough to shoot safely in the garden before I did it. And yes I did put ONE hole through the garage door.

Unlike some, I don't say a blanket NO to archery in the garden, but with a bow of your power, I probably wouldn't.

For me personally, I feel I am as safe as someone driving a car. To say to everyone as a rule, DONT shoot in your garden (as I was told by some) is to me, like saying, never get in a car.

BUT as others have said what happens is your responsibility alone.

I am extremely careful in my garden and take all reasonable precautions, and the closest mishap I (well, my brother) has had was an arrow that wouldn't have had any energy left to do much. But you can see how having your window / dog struck by even such an arrow would be horrible for all involved.

As for shooting towards your own house, I'm not sure about that. What if someone was stood behind a thin window?

blanket statements cannot really be made, each situation needs assessing.

OK I've rambled on for long enough........

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I think your bow is too powerful for your garden. Plus being a compound it is more prone to accidental release than a recurve. I shoot in my garden which is something like 40 - 45 yards long. At the bottom of the garden are some houses (not a garden though.)

There are some very tall trees at the bottom of the garden obscuring the view of these houses. Could an arrow get through and hit a window? It's very very unlikely but possible.

However I only shoot a 20lb recurve.

Having said that, my brother had a shot, the arrow bounced from the top of the boss about 15 metres into the air but was luckily stopped by a tree.
It's not that the arrow had much energy left to do anything, but more the fact that if it had ended up outside my property and someone found it, game over for my garden archery.

Before I promoted myself to the garden I shot in the garage where I can get about 8.5 metres. I waited untill I was positive I was good enough to shoot safely in the garden before I did it. And yes I did put ONE hole through the garage door.

Unlike some, I don't say a blanket NO to archery in the garden, but with a bow of your power, I probably wouldn't.

For me personally, I feel I am as safe as someone driving a car. To say to everyone as a rule, DONT shoot in your garden (as I was told by some) is to me, like saying, never get in a car.

BUT as others have said what happens is your responsibility alone.

I am extremely careful in my garden and take all reasonable precautions, and the closest mishap I (well, my brother) has had was an arrow that wouldn't have had any energy left to do much. But you can see how having your window / dog struck by even such an arrow would be horrible for all involved.

As for shooting towards your own house, I'm not sure about that. What if someone was stood behind a thin window?

blanket statements cannot really be made, each situation needs assessing.

OK I've rambled on for long enough........

the car analogy doesn't fit at all! I've been driving for 20 years with no accident (shouldn't tempt fate here!). I've also shot my compound on the range out to 70m with someone stood next to the target as we both had full confidence in my shooting. That hasn't stopped me having 2 potentially very serious incidents in the past 3 months.. The last one being at a competition opened a few eyes. I think the first oops is in the fonz section on here.. The arrow ended up on the grass on the other side of the road. At the competition.. The arrow was found out to the side where it had ricocheted off the trees, we assume!

why is it ok to shoot away from your house in case someone is behind your windows? Bit of a double standard there for me, you won't put your family at risk but its ok to put anyone else at risk?

You also have no idea of the power behind an arrow.. As a recurve shooter I feel your advice may encourage someone with a compound! I have seen a compound put someone in hospital when the arrow was simply flicked from the bow.. Maybe pulled back 2" and travelled 6 foot, again.. People present couldn't believe how that arrow travelled or the subsequent outcome!

Inevitably people will do there own thing. In my line of work I have to take positive risks but with archery and the safety of others it simply isn't worth it! A boss against a wall at home is plenty to practice your release and aiming! :beer:

D

Deleted member 7654

@ LMP
I like your point about people not realising the power of their bows.
I find it V odd that some people are shooting bows which they have no idea how far they will shoot or how hard they hit.
Ok, we expect Joe Public not to understand, they often think my little Hazel primitives are glorified toys, until I tell 'em it will put an arrow through a car door. They usually look a bit shocked and say 'really?' I say 'yes, no problem'.
Del

fozotronic

Weve had people killed in new zealand by neighbours stray arrows. i practice in my garden but i have a half acre yard surrounded by farm paddocks on 3 sides. i have a concrete water tank which is my backstop, i figure better to break an arrow than kill or damage anything. if you live in close proximity to anyone i wouldnt recommend shooting in the garden, just not worth the risk of the possible consequences.