New straw boss problems

Simon Banks

Well i forgo a PS4 and gadgets this year for xmas and have bought a 128cm round straw boss for home use..

Was delivered a couple of days ago so set it up in my garden..

Problem I am having is that the arrows are getting stuck in the boss like it was made of wood.. I started with 8 wooden arrows yesterday and ended up with 7 missing piles and one that broke off at the pile after 3 ends. So on the bright side I am very good are recovering lost piles from the boss (I have a bearpaw pile removal tool).

I'm shooting 5/16 Boyton pine arrows with 100gr field point/brass bullets with a 50lb ELB at 20 yards.

Spoke to Merlin and they say it needs to be "shot in" and that I should try using some "Scorpion arrow recovery oil" on my arrows. Which I have ordered..

Tried again this morning with a collection of older arrows and now another 8 arrows having piles reattached to being repaired after breaking. I was using ferr-l-tite but have switched to using a two part epoxy glue..

Any advice anyone can offer.. I didn't expect the straw boss to be like softwood?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Do you know if it's an Ergotec (??spelling??) or an Italian boss?? The Ergotec ones should have a label on the back saying so, the Italian ones have Italian writing on the green band. The Ergotec bosses soften up quite nicely and are very well made. The Italian ones are frankly awful, held together like glue and go hard, hard, hard, hard, soft, middle falls out.

Simon Banks

Do you know if it's an Ergotec (??spelling??) or an Italian boss?? The Ergotec ones should have a label on the back saying so, the Italian ones have Italian writing on the green band. The Ergotec bosses soften up quite nicely and are very well made. The Italian ones are frankly awful, held together like glue and go hard, hard, hard, hard, soft, middle falls out.
Sounds like its Italian... :-(

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
could be it's just a brand new boss... remember most bosses down a club will have several archers shooting at them, so have a much quicker "shooting in" phase. Especially if there are recurves/compounds there.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
I always 'lube' up my arrows for the first few ends in a comps when its a straw boss. my big x7's soften up where ever I happen to be hitting that day ;) making remove easy after the 4th or 5th end.